King Charles III

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

King Charles III

Post by Marc Meakin »

Let's see if we can get some interesting moments here on how we think he will do.
Unlike his mother who was 10 when she knew she would be the Head of State.
Charles has been waiting his whole life.
He even recently took to changing his ringtone to the popular Lion King song (jokes)
I think unlike his mother he is very much a political animal who cares about the environment and is probably more of a Lib Dem than a Green.
I do hope he can streamline the monarchy and maybe oversee the independence of those countries that want out
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: King Charles III 2022-

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Should it be 1948-? It was 1926- in the Queen thread.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:36 pm Should it be 1948-? It was 1926- in the Queen thread.
Good point, although His reign is from 2022
Edit to save ambiguity or relevance I have taken the date off
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well a few years' back, he said that when his time came, he would be "Defender of faith" rather than "Defender of the faith" to reflect our multi-faith society. Hopefully he'll also defend science :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: King Charles III

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've seen at least a couple of people saying that they were worried he was ill because of the III after his name. I'm not joking, although they might have been.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:51 pm I've seen at least a couple of people saying that they were worried he was ill because of the III after his name. I'm not joking, although they might have been.
Or looking very well for one hundred and eleven
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

At least we won't need to change our banknotes as its got Charlie all over them 😊
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:33 pm Unlike his mother who was 10 when she knew she would be the Head of State.
I've never really understood the suggestion that the abdication changed everything for her.

When she was born, she would only become queen if her unmarried 30 year old uncle had no children, and her own parents didn't have a son. So the odds were that she wouldn't. But over the years neither of these things happened. Ten years later her uncle was looking to marry a 40 year old and her own mother was in her late thirties. By then it was surely already pretty much certain that she would be queen even without the abdication. She would have succeeded to the throne in 1972 when the Duke of Windsor died, although if her father lived to the same age as his brother he would have been king for a short time and she would have become queen on his death. The abdication only made a difference for her because George VI died prematurely, and no-one knew that was going to happen when Edward VIII abdicated.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Interesting point. It's not something I've given much thought to though.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:53 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:33 pm Unlike his mother who was 10 when she knew she would be the Head of State.
I've never really understood the suggestion that the abdication changed everything for her.

When she was born, she would only become queen if her unmarried 30 year old uncle had no children, and her own parents didn't have a son. So the odds were that she wouldn't. But over the years neither of these things happened. Ten years later her uncle was looking to marry a 40 year old and her own mother was in her late thirties. By then it was surely already pretty much certain that she would be queen even without the abdication. She would have succeeded to the throne in 1972 when the Duke of Windsor died, although if her father lived to the same age as his brother he would have been king for a short time and she would have become queen on his death. The abdication only made a difference for her because George VI died prematurely, and no-one knew that was going to happen when Edward VIII abdicated.
I may be wrong but once Edward Abdicated his potential children wouldn't have been in direct line.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:44 pm I may be wrong but once Edward Abdicated his potential children wouldn't have been in direct line.
You're correct, but my point is that by then it was very likely that he wasn't going to have any.