The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Callum Todd »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20 am
Callum Todd wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:34 pm Although on some less optimistic notes:

2) while media coverage, etc, play a big role in perception, the women's game will struggle to ever be as big as the men's game for as long as the standard is substantially lower. And, unfortunately, I can't see that changing any time soon, if ever.
It is changing. Go and watch the semi finals of the women's world cup from a decade ago and compare the quality to this tournament. It's night and day.

However the standard will never be the same. I read that strength for strength, women's football is the equivalent of men's football being played with a basketball. So, it will never be directly comparable, in the same way that women's tennis players don't move as fast as the men. But it's (arguably) an equal spectacle.
Sorry, bit shit choice of words by me. By "that changing" I meant the fact that elite women's football is played at a substantially lower quality than elite men's football (as a binary yes/no level - is it substantially lower or not?). I didn't mean to imply that the standard of women's football isn't changing/improving over time; it is, as you have pointed out. I just think the quality of elite women's football probably has a ceiling of how high it can get and that falls significantly short of how high the quality of men's elite football is/could/will be.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Women's football transfer record likely to be broken soon.

Barcelona reportedly ready to spend over £300k on a Manchester City player. I was shocked that the record is so low. And yes I am aware of how silly it is to think of such a sum of money as 'low' but when we've just come out of a men's transfer window in which Premier League clubs have spent a combined £1.9 BILLION, that's low for a.

To put it in perspective, Barcelona's men's team (who are supposedly in the midst of a financial crisis) this summer spent around £42 million on a 34-year-old player (Robert Lewandowski) who would have been available for free in a year's time, and a similar amount on a player (Jules Koundé) they couldn't event register for the first few weeks of the season due to their financial situation. A few years ago they spent around £140 million on a player (Phillipe Coutinho) who they shortly ostracised from the first team before eventually selling to Aston Villa for about 12% of what they paid for him originally.

Madness.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

Hi All

I've re set up the league for fantasy football for the upcoming season. If you wish to join - click the link below. You can also use the code i've listed too.

Should be a good laugh, and i've renewed the league so many returning players will be automatically entered

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagu ... oin/thi2z8

Code to join if you need it :thi2z8
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:02 pm
Noel Mc wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:03 pm I'm sure the British press will be all over this, particularly if the Mendy case goes to trial and he is convicted
They are decidedly not all over this. The coverage of Ronaldo's return and re-debut today has been nauseating. There is still an open civil case in the US, I wonder if Man United will go on a pre season tour there next summer?
Well, this happened.
Dani Alves has been convicted of rape and will serve a 4.5 year prison sentence. First time I can recall a conviction of a high-profile footballer. Glad that they don't always get away with it.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Adam Gillard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:27 pm Dani Alves has been convicted of rape and will serve a 4.5 year prison sentence.
The second part of your sentence will, very sadly, not turn out to be true.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/68eKjE4CkrCiHGJY/

This is unbelievable how women's football was treated just over 50 years ago
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT