Commonwealth Games

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Commonwealth Games

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Post about the Commonwealth Games here.

What do you think? To start on a negative note, I think the BBC's evening highlights are terrible. They purely focus on the events where there are British (but separate English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish of course) medal hopes. The athletics started yesterday and they had the men's 10,000m final. Didn't even get a mention. I thought it would at least get a 10-second slot where they showed the winner going down the final straight and a quick summary of what happened. But no, nothing. But they had plenty of time to chat to the entire British gymanstics teams for what seemed like half an hour.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Re: Commonwealth Games

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 am The athletics started yesterday and they had the men's 10,000m final. Didn't even get a mention.
They showed the entire 10,000m race, as well as studio discussion, live as part of the main coverage.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Aren’t there multiple live streams of different sports on iPlayer? I watch those instead of all the studio talking on BBC One/Two.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:26 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:12 am The athletics started yesterday and they had the men's 10,000m final. Didn't even get a mention.
They showed the entire 10,000m race, as well as studio discussion, live as part of the main coverage.
Yes, and I watched that but that's not the point is it? What are the highlights for?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

What is the current criteria of what countries thay can compete in the Commonwealth Games?
Im surprised RSA are included
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:39 pm What is the current criteria of what countries thay can compete in the Commonwealth Games?
Im surprised RSA are included
Commonwealth countries and their territories. Why wouldn't RSA be there?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Once Upon a Time it was countries with the Queen as Head of state or should I put this on the things I've just realised
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Assuming the Commonwealth Games has always been open to all Commonwealth members (which based on the attendance it probably has), it did need the King to be head of state at first. But that changed in 1949, so it's in fact never been the case of needing the Queen as head of state.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:09 pm Assuming the Commonwealth Games has always been open to all Commonwealth members (which based on the attendance it probably has), it did need the King to be head of state at first. But that changed in 1949, so it's in fact never been the case of needing the Queen as head of state.
Replace Queen for monarch, simples
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:58 pm Once Upon a Time it was countries with the Queen as Head of state or should I put this on the things I've just realised
Membership nowadays requires adhering to the Harare Principles (or something like that I think), and is nowt to do with having been a colony/dominion in the past. See Mozambique for example.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I wonder if anything will come of the cycling crash that happened a few days ago - like plastic screens being put up. It would be pretty mental if they just wrote it off as a freak accident and did nothing.

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Yeah I read somewhere that such an accident has occurred on average once every two years in recent history so given the potentially disastrous nature of it surely that's a high enough risk to take action. Heard someone say cycling should take inspiration from the catch fencing in motorsports and that sounds like a good idea. Just look at Zhou Guanyu's crash at Silverstone this year to see such fencing being called into action.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, Lina Nielsen who represented England at the 400m hurdles has multiple sclerosis. Just thought that was quite interesting that you can still compete at that level with it. Although obviously it comes in different degrees of badness.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 pm By the way, Lina Nielsen who represented England at the 400m hurdles has multiple sclerosis. Just thought that was quite interesting that you can still compete at that level with it. Although obviously it comes in different degrees of badness.
Isn't it slowly debilitating though?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 pm By the way, Lina Nielsen who represented England at the 400m hurdles has multiple sclerosis. Just thought that was quite interesting that you can still compete at that level with it. Although obviously it comes in different degrees of badness.
Isn't it slowly debilitating though?
I think it depends. You can get relapsing/remitting and progressive MS.