FOCAL Finals 2022 and Milton Keynes Open

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
FOCAL Countdown
Rookie

FOCAL Finals 2022 and Milton Keynes Open

Post by FOCAL Countdown »

It's been a long season but in November we will finally bring it to a close and crown the FOCAL 2020-22 Champion!

Date: Saturday 26th November 2022
Venue: Novotel Milton Keynes, Saxon St, Leyburn Ct, Heelands, Milton Keynes, MK13 7RA (map)
Admission: £10 (preferably by PayPal, please; other means on request).
Doors open: 10am, for 11am start
Organised by: Callum Todd
Presented by: Ben Wilson and Fiona Titcombe
Games to be played: 7, plus the FOCAL Grand Final
Finishes by: 6pm
Wheelchair accessible: Yes

FB event page: https://fb.me/e/3BDHnbfC4

After a three-year-long season that began in 2020 and was disrupted heavily by the COVID-19 pandemic, FOCAL is finally ready to close the 2020-22 season with a year-end showpiece Finals event, and this year it’s coming to Milton Keynes!

While Finals events of previous years have traditionally taken place in the West Midlands, we already have an event in Birmingham on Saturday 13th August 2022, so this year we’re returning to Milton Keynes for the first time since 2019!

Format

As in previous years, the top 8 seeds in our FOCAL League Table at the end of the year will face off in a round robin to earn a place in the 2020-22 FOCAL Grand Final. Meanwhile, everyone else is welcome to sign up and take part in our Milton Keynes Open event, where the champion will be whoever tops the standings after 7 games.

In 2019 it was Callum Todd who became our fourth FOCAL Champion, while Jen Steadman claimed her first FOCAL title in the Molineux Open. Could it be you this year?

Doors open at 10am for an 11am start, to play seven 9-round games of Countdown.

This event uses a classroom-style format, with big screen graphics. This means everyone plays along to the same letters rounds, and everyone will get a turn at picking consonants and vowels for the room at some point.

For the numbers games, you’ll get to pick which combination of large and small numbers you want, in turn in your pairs, from our specially designed five-line display.

For the conundrum, these will be revealed on the screen for everyone in much the same way as on the TV show. We will explain at the start of the day how each part of the contest runs, and give everyone a practice game consisting of a letters game, a numbers game and a conundrum just before the first match.

Lunch & breaks
We will stop for lunch after the second or third match — lunch is not provided but there are plenty of amenities nearby, including a Tesco Express, a Costa Coffee, and a McDonalds.

There will be another short break during the afternoon and, if you don’t make the Grand Final, a chance to recharge your glass just before our showpiece gets underway.

How to book
The entry fee is just £10. To secure your place, send your entry fee to Callum Todd, FOCAL Chair, by PayPal.

Transport
The event venue is less than 2 miles away from Milton Keynes Central station.
There are 120 car parking spaces at the hotel available on a first come, first served basis. Car parking is free but you must register your car at reception if parking on site.

Staying over?
The Novotel itself is obviously the nearest option.
Alternatively, there are many low-cost hotel options available in central Milton Keynes, all within a couple of miles of the event venue.

Any questions?
Please feel free to email hello@focalcountdown.co.uk.

We look forward to seeing you in Milton Keynes in November!

Attending or organising a FOCAL event is subject to the FOCAL Code of Conduct.

Confirmed entries (31)
Bradley Horrocks*
Callum Todd*
Thomas Carey*
James Robinson*
George Armstrong*
Tim Hebbes*
Thomas Cappleman*
Jack Hurst*
Mike Lee
Phil Stanton
Jill Thwaites
Adam Thwaites
Adam Beach
Adam Dexter
Euan Crabb
Gevin Chapwell
Sam Prouse
Stewart Gordon
Ruth Cappleman
Ashwin Abinashi
Sandie Simonis
Graeme Cole
George Baker
MSR
Dan Byrom
Richard Priest
Ellen Harrison
Rob Foster
Eeshan Malhotra
Chris Marshall
Liam Davis

* = qualified for the FOCAL Finals
Last edited by FOCAL Countdown on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:46 am, edited 45 times in total.
FOCAL Countdown - the unofficial tournament circuit
focalcountdown.com | @focalcountdown | focalcountdown@gmail.com
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: FOCAL Finals 2022 and Milton Keynes Open

Post by JackHurst »

As a suggestion you could do fixed players picking as P1 / P2 each game, and rotate those players to cover the top 8 as much as possible.

This would mean 6 of the top 8 players get to play a game as player 1 once and as player 2 once. The other 2 players get to play 1 game as player 1/2.

The players in the open would never get to pick. Makes things marginally worse for the open, but a little bit better for the top 8.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

JackHurst wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:50 pm As a suggestion you could do fixed players picking as P1 / P2 each game, and rotate those players to cover the top 8 as much as possible.

This would mean 6 of the top 8 players get to play a game as player 1 once and as player 2 once. The other 2 players get to play 1 game as player 1/2.

The players in the open would never get to pick. Makes things marginally worse for the open, but a little bit better for the top 8.
Unless you're expecting fewer than 16 entrants in total, why would you give the top 8 exclusive picking privileges knowing this makes things worse for everyone else?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 pm
JackHurst wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:50 pm As a suggestion you could do fixed players picking as P1 / P2 each game, and rotate those players to cover the top 8 as much as possible.

Unless you're expecting fewer than 16 entrants in total, why would you give the top 8 exclusive picking privileges knowing this makes things worse for everyone else?
Picking 1 round in a game is pointless. May as well bundle up the picks for some individuals so they get to play at least one proper game with picking.

The improvement you give to those who get it is nice. The "worsening" for the rest is negligible. If I went to a bristol style event. I couldn't care less if I get to pick letters 1 or 0 times.

Also, since this event is geared as the "Focal Finals" i think it's acceptable for it to be the one occasion where the format of the event is slightly preferential to those who have qualified as top 8.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I see the logic behind wanting the Top 8 to have more picking power for the Finals but I think that would alienate the Open players a bit too much. It's important to stress that the Finals event isn't all about the top 8, there's still a fully fledged event going on for everyone else too! Taking their one letters pick a day away from the Open players, little as it might be, would be a bit harsh I think.

I will try make it though so that when a Top 8 player does get to pick a letters round, their immediate opponent also picks a round in the same game, so any advantage gained by getting to pick a round is equalled out. Unfortunately this would be too complicated to apply to the Open as well as the fixtures will be Swiss-drawn rather than predetermined, so at least the Top 8 might benefit from this one little tweak to the picking procedure, without anyone in the Open missing out as a consequence.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Also: going to have a look into options for booking somewhere for the 'afters' for this event: meal, etc. If people could indicate how likely they are to join in any post-event meal, and any post-meal festivities, that would help me estimate numbers for any bookings that need to be made. Cheers!
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Noticed rooms are now bookable at the Novotel.

Looks lovely - are we going to be able to avail of better rates than shown online (around £125 for the Sat night)?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Adam Dexter wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:02 pm Noticed rooms are now bookable at the Novotel.

Looks lovely - are we going to be able to avail of better rates than shown online (around £125 for the Sat night)?
The event manager at Novotel is holding a small number of rooms for us and told me he will be able to provide details on rates around late July/early August so will let you know as soon as he tells me the price.

If you're keen to get something booked early, maybe book whatever looks best value atm on a flexi rate so you could cancel if the Novotel deal is better?
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Is there going to be a Facebook page for the event out of curiosity? It would be good to have one IMO as there could be people who don’t use or read this forum. I’m just thinking in terms of promotion 😃
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Peter Clarke wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:22 am Is there going to be a Facebook page for the event out of curiosity? It would be good to have one IMO as there could be people who don’t use or read this forum. I’m just thinking in terms of promotion 😃
Way ahead of you Peter! :) link
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

My bad 😅😂 I even previously clicked on “Interested” too 😅
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Callum Todd wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:52 am
The event manager at Novotel is holding a small number of rooms for us and told me he will be able to provide details on rates around late July/early August so will let you know as soon as he tells me the price.
Waiting with anticipa.............tion

Guessing there's no update as yet?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Aye problem is the cheaper rates are non-refundable, and going up!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Update on hotels:

Have chased up the event manager, I have an initial quote that I've requested a few more details on, will bring you the full picture as soon as he gets back to me. From initial look it appears that the event hotel isn't going to be able to compete with the likes of Travelodge on price, but if you do wish to stay at the Novotel you will be best using the deal he's sorting out for us.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Hotel prices:

The event manager has offered us the following rates:

£75 Friday night (25th Nov)
£107 Saturday night (26th Nov)

These are for single rooms only. Double rooms would be an extra £10 per room per night, and Breakfast would be an extra £12 per room per night.

To get this special rate we must book at least 8 rooms (I think it should count as 2 rooms if someone were to book for both nights).

If anyone who is interested in this rate could please let me know ASAP so I can determine if we have enough interest to pass the 8 rooms threshold, I'll let the event manager know how many rooms to hold for us. You can then either book by contacting him yourself (I will pass on his e-mail address), or through me. Cheers
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:06 pm Hotel prices:

The event manager has offered us the following rates:

£75 Friday night (25th Nov)
£107 Saturday night (26th Nov)

These are for single rooms only. Double rooms would be an extra £10 per room per night, and Breakfast would be an extra £12 per room per night.

To get this special rate we must book at least 8 rooms (I think it should count as 2 rooms if someone were to book for both nights).

If anyone who is interested in this rate could please let me know ASAP so I can determine if we have enough interest to pass the 8 rooms threshold, I'll let the event manager know how many rooms to hold for us. You can then either book by contacting him yourself (I will pass on his e-mail address), or through me. Cheers
A specially expensive rate?

Booking on their website gives me £144.40 for the two nights, saving £38.60 on the special rate.

Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Cheapest at the moment seems to be Premier Inn Milton Keynes Central (Avebury Boulevard) hotel at £80 for the two nights - but parking not included and is crazy expensive...
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

That's odd, I looked at their website just last week and the prices were quite a bit higher than the screenshot above. Will look into it and see what's gone on.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I have just booked the Friday night, including breakfast, for £64.60

This was through their site. Had to sign up to be an Accor member for 5%, but would have been £68 without.

Not sure how they have arrived at their "special rate" - even the breakfast is £3 more (room without was £59).

Seems like they're trying to diddle us.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

It was more expensive last week so I suspect there must have been a price reduction earlier this week and the 'special rate' was calculated before then, otherwise it's just bizarre. At any rate with this confusion I can't see there being enough interest to get over the 8 rooms threshold so it's probably best to just book wherever you want to stay yourself at the website price, be it the Novotel or elsewhere. Will let you guys know if he comes back with a rate that is actually a significant saving on the website price though.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Travelodge rates are still reasonable (both of them), I've booked at The Hub.

The big question is, Linford Wood or Milton Keynes parkrun?
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:45 pm Travelodge rates are still reasonable (both of them), I've booked at The Hub.

The big question is, Linford Wood or Milton Keynes parkrun?
Linford Wood parkrun almost touches the venue. That might not be as relevant if you're planning on going back the The Hub after the parkrun and then to the venue, but I think both parkruns are a similar distance from The Hub in any case, so I think Linford Wood must win. Especially if some people might be staying at the venue or nearby.

I've not signed up or booked a hotel, but I'm likely to.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah I'm booked in at the venue, so Linford Wood works for me! But happy to go with the flow.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Just looking at prices. Novotel more expensive but so convenient! I'll probably just stay on Friday night. At the moment, Travelodge Milton Keynes Central is just £25, Hub is £30 and Novotel is £59. I don't really care about a bit of journeying but if I want a hotel breakfast I've got to work out if there's enough time going to a Travelodge!

Edit - Of the Travelodges, I think only The Hub does breakfast. They do this sneaky dishonest thing where they always offer you the room with breakfast, but some of the hotels just do this breakfast box thing so you have to watch out for that.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Depends if you want to stick around to wait for the rest of us to finish I think! With an 11am start though I'd expect there to be enough time. However, my timekeeping had me 30 mins late to the Blackpool event, so take with a pinch of salt!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:52 pm Depends if you want to stick around to wait for the rest of us to finish I think! With an 11am start though I'd expect there to be enough time. However, my timekeeping had me 30 mins late to the Blackpool event, so take with a pinch of salt!
I'm booked in to the Novotel. All done. So I won't be in a hurry.

Edit - As long as we do Linford Wood.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

If it's good for those staying at the venue I think it's a no brainer.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I'm doing Linford Wood as I need to be back at the venue asap. Any co:parkrunners on a tight schedule can use my hotel room shower (at Novotel) if that helps.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I'm staying at the Novotel and may partake in the Parkrun. I will almost certainly be last so just as well I'm going to be local!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Adam Dexter wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:30 pm I'm staying at the Novotel and may partake in the Parkrun. I will almost certainly be last so just as well I'm going to be local!
Since it apparently goes past the venue, could you take a break when you get to the venue, play some countdown and knock out the rest of the run in the evening to get a time of about 9 hours?
cheers maus
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Thomas Carey wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:07 pm
Adam Dexter wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:30 pm I'm staying at the Novotel and may partake in the Parkrun. I will almost certainly be last so just as well I'm going to be local!
Since it apparently goes past the venue, could you take a break when you get to the venue, play some countdown and knock out the rest of the run in the evening to get a time of about 9 hours?
I wonder how pissed off the tail runner would be
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I have realised that England are playing USA in the (Football) World Cup on the Friday night.

Looking at pubs, the #1 place seems to be the Midsummer Tap. Seems to be a sports pub, cocktail bar and craft beer place all in one, so should be summat to suit everyone.

Who is staying on the Friday night and wants to go there?
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Personally would prefer somewhere not showing the football as it'll probably be quieter , but a drink's a drink so happy for whatever.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dunno if it's thanks to strikes, an awkward route or whatever but I'm having real issues booking train tickets at the moment, just a load of 'fare unavailable' on the national rail website. :-/ Is anyone driving down and can swing by Lincoln/Newark/at a pinch, Nottingham who could give a co-host a seat in their car? Petrol costs will of course be paid and I'm happy to work around everyone else's accommodation plans.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah been seeing a lot of that. The tickets do come up eventually
Adam Beach

Post by Adam Beach »

I've somehow miraculously managed to book a room for myself and Maus at the Novotel for £122 via Booking.com. It's non-refundable, however you can add cancellation insurance for a fairly reasonable (I think) £8.42. At the time of writing this, it says there are 6 rooms available at that price. Thought I would just let everyone know. Might have got lucky finding this rate, so grab it while you can.

Good luck :)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

After today's event in Braintree, Tim Hebbes and Thomas Cappleman have now secured a place in the top 8. Jack Hurst is confirmed as 9th place. As Eddy Byrne has told me he will not be attending the Finals, Jack will therefore qualify for the finals.

If T-Cap and Jack sign-up to MK, they will join Bradley, myself, Maus, Robbo, George, and Tim in the 2020-2022 FOCAL Finals.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Count me in. Looking forward to this format!
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Update on the post-event plans:

We've made a booking at Legend One Karaoke and Sushi/Chinese bar. They said we can arrive as early as we like from 5pm so if people want to go straight there from the event and eat there they can. Or they can eat somewhere else first if they don't like the menu there and join the karaoke later, but they close at 11 so we can't karaoke later than 10.30. It's just round the corner from loads of restaurants so it's easy to get to for people eating elsewhere. We've provisionally booked for 12 people but can increase if more are interested. https://www.legendonemk.com/about
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I somehow managed to turn a chat about Avanti West Coast traibs into a little plug for this event within 60 seconds.📻📻📻

So, that’s 2 Tuesdays in a row that I’ve interacted with Jeremy Vine!!🤣🤣🤣

Go to 23 minutes, if you fancy a listen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001d ... are-mobile
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Superb James! Thanks very much for the publicity on one of the biggest radio shows in the country!! Hope your train journey turns out okay.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

For those going to MK, if you haven't been before (or even if you have!) I recommend a trip to Bletchley (and especially the computer museum)
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Long shot, but as trains are no longer available, I'm looking at driving. Would be setting off from SW side of Birmingham on Friday morning and heading back Sat night. Would anyone like a lift and share some fuel costs?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Why do Train strikes only seem to happen on the same days as Co-Events 😡
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Sadly I can’t attend I will be flying home from the US, good luck to those who are competing.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Mikey Spikey

Post by Mikey Spikey »

I have the results from the finals in MK today:

Finals Final P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst W 7 6 456
2 Thomas Cappleman L 7 5 433
3 Callum Todd 7 5 427
4 Bradley Horrocks 7 4 394
5 James Robinson 7 3 370
6 Thomas Carey 7 2 401
7 Tim Hebbes 7 2 385
8 George Armstrong 7 1 363

Congrats to the 2022 FOCAL Champion...Jack Hurst with a MAX GAME in the final over T-Cap! His app has helped him to become FOCAL King! Reckon he also owes Eddy Byrne a pint as well as he wouldn't have even been in the finals hadn't he been busy geatoning back in Dublin today 😀

Also congrats to Rob Foster (other spirits are available) for winning the open with 7 wins out of 7 the results of which were as follows:

Open P W Pts
1 Rob Foster 7 7 509
2 Graeme Cole 7 5 428
3 Mike Lee 7 5 393
4 Stewart Gordon 7 5 339
5 Chris Marshall 7 5 332
6 Dan Byrom 7 4 418
7 Martin Thomas 7 4 380
8 Eeshan Malhotra 7 4 375
9 Sam Prouse 7 4 343
10 Phil Stanton 7 4 342
11 Adam Beach 7 4 320
12 Sandie Simonis 7 4 291
13 Adam Dexter 7 3 385
14 Ruth Cappleman 7 3 353
15 MSR 7 3 347
16 Ashwin Abinashi 7 3 327
17 Jill Thwaites 7 3 277
18 Adam Thwaites 7 3 227
19 George Baker 7 3 223
20 Gevin Chapwell 7 2 312
21 Euan Crabb 7 2 298
22 Ellen Harrison 7 2 292
23 Liam Davis 7 2 164
24 Mk:Prune 0 0 0

The full results of each match are available here https://greem.co.uk/cgi-bin/colive/tour ... ney=MK2022