Spoilers for Monday 13th June 2022 (Series 85, 3rd Quarter-Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 13th June 2022 (Series 85, 3rd Quarter-Final)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Who's gonna get 106 this time?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Monday 13 June 2022 (Series 85, 3rd Quarter Final)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

PATENTORS in round 12. I don't think Anne bothered checking if DC had any longer words in that round. Also I saw ANTEPORTS was also available when I was checking it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:14 pm Who's gonna get 106 this time?
I would have been impressed if you'd posted that before the game.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Steve’s very dapper.
Series 78 Runner-up
Adam S Latchford
Acolyte

Post by Adam S Latchford »

106 higher than any score in the s83 finals and its been done 3 times in 3 games! Very decent standard so far, excited for the rest of the games
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Thought I'd spelt it wrong, but PEDIATRY in R10.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Well, I had this review written up about an hour after the match ended but I was waiting to see who would post up this thread first :lol: Afterall, I didn't want this post to be at the very top and make it sound like a mini-recap (which sometimes it is). Things are surely heating up as we enter the last full week of the Series, you'll see why today's match is full of parallels when comparing to the first two Quarter-Finals. Woah, Steve is dressed so formally with a suit and tie for the occasion even though it's still the Quarter-Finals, hats off to his wife and daughter for selecting that outfit, bet it must be expensive to get that! Ronan chooses to wear something he's done before on the show, but it's alright, and I could see him taking a deep breath before the match began, so here we go!

Letters: Bad start like the first Quarter-Finals, Ronan had his word disqualified due to spelling in R1. A good spot of STEMMING in R4 by Steve opened the lead, and like Craig, I bet the pressure really got the better of Ronan as he had tangler which is a common mistake in R5 and then sinked in R7, pity him :( However, from R8 onwards, that's where his fortune fortunately turned around, evenly matching Steve all the way to the end, so not all was lost! :)

Numbers: Steve picks his usual selection while Ronan varies around. An easy R3 and R6 meant that both grabbed the 20 points available there each while R9 was a key differentiator to see whether one knew their seven times table (Well, I got the same solution as Steve, so I admit I didn't get this). Finally, just like last Friday, Ronan, as with Dan, goes with 6 Small in R14 and matches out with Steve to gain some more points! Talk about timing!

Conundrum: :lol: I had a good laugh with today's one, but if you do get HIT IN the FACE, then that's another story. I had no idea as to where to even start and blanked out eventually, so kudos to Ronan who spotted this one and ending on a high.

Get this, all the Quarter-Finals now have been won with a score of 106. Not once, not twice, but THRICE now! :o What is this coincidence??!! (Man, if the winning score is 106 tomorrow I will be like something else already...). My initial prediction of a margin of 30 points was a bit off with Ronan taking the Conundrum, narrowing it to 23 points. Both teachers are out of the Finals and it's definitely a sorry sight, but as Anne mentioned, he can probably hold his head high to his students, for he has achieved so much on-screen (and maybe boost his reputation too!) All the best in taking care of your students, both present and in the future too, I bet this is something you can be proud and show it off to them! Hopefully, one day, one of them will be inspired to come join the show years down the road :)

Steve is off to face Matt on Thursday, but there's still one last Quarter-Final to go. Will it be "Beaten by a late, great, Octochamp but returned a decade later to become one" Ryan Carlsen or "Gave us an exhilarating performance at the very end of his run to produce the best Preliminary match in four years" Adrian Fletcher that will advance further? Both witnessed the records I mentioned in the predictions thread, tune in to see who wins and gets to face Dan the day after!

Progress:
QF1 (09 June): Dan Byrom (#1) vs Craig Fawcett (#8) (106 - 27)
QF2 (10 June): Matt O'Connor (#2) vs Dan Hall (#7) (106 - 58)
QF3 (13 June): Steve Hyde (#3) vs Ronan Mackrory (#6) (106 - 83)
QF4 (14 June): Ryan Carlsen (#4) vs Adrian Fletcher (#5)
SF1 (15 June): Dan Byrom (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (16 June): Matt O'Connor (QF2 Winner) vs Steve Hyde (QF3 Winner)
GF (17 June): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)