Elon Musk and Twitter

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Elon Musk and Twitter

Post by Marc Meakin »

I'm curious as to what he will do with Twitter.
Im all for free speech but with accountability both legally and socially.
I'm not sure if this is neccessarily his intentions
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: Elon Musk and Twitter

Post by Callum Todd »

It's an interesting one alright; a story at the confluence of many debates. No idea what to make of it or what (if anything significant) will come of it.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

He can crow all he likes about free speech, it doesn't make him immune to libel/slander laws, which are a decent part of the basis for content management in the first place.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

It's culture war nonsense to distract from the class war that's really going on. Musk fires people for trying to unionize and threatened to rescind stock options if workers unionised. Hardly free speech advocacy.

Besides it's impossible to run an online communication forum without moderation without it being overtaken by trolls and making it unusable.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mark James wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 pm Besides it's impossible to run an online communication forum without moderation without it being overtaken by trolls and making it unusable.
See 4chan (or better yet, don't) for further proof of this.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

There was a time until recently that Twitter was a huge part of my career, and thus life. In an ideal world, it still would be. It's depressing and annoying how that can be fucked with just by some rich juvenile edgelord on a power trip, able to get tiny interest rates on ten figure loans with stock as collateral that he does not have to pay tax on in order to buy a platform outright that, while still a private company, has essentially ended up as a public service, all to do his usual guff of making pointless promises he won't keep. Yeah, not a fan.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Given Elon Musk, is buying a Tesla car thought of as unethical?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

There's no ethical consumption in capitalism. I don't know how tesla's actually perform in terms of its eco friendly bona-fides but if it's good I would say that's a fair compromise. I would look for alternatives if I could though.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

What amazes me is that people will say "Billionaires can't just solve world hunger", their money isn't actually money, its all tied up in stocks and real estate etc, yet they can spend 44 billion to buy a website so they can stop people being mean to them.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Well Musk in particular has very little cash, his wealth is all in his holdings. But that's deliberate, because he does not pay tax on having paper wealth, yet he can get all the loans he wants with it to buy what he wants. 2% interest versus 40% tax, what a world.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark