David Barnard, 1991-2022

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

David Barnard, 1991-2022

Post by Mark Deeks »

A lot of you already know about this, but David's mum has asked me to alert the wider Countdown community to some very bad news.

A week ago, David Barnard suffered a very serious cardiac arrest. Subsequent to the heart attack, he has suffered an inordinate number of seizures, and is in intensive care in a highly critical condition. There's no way to dress it up well - he is in bad shape, not out of the woods, and may have still-untold amounts of damage going forward. The only bright spot is that the fits seem to have largely abated today, but it is too early to truly know anything about the future.

You will know David from his time on the show (series 67 semi-finalist), and from the Apterous/Co:event circuit. He had moved off the scene in recent years in order to give full attention to his main love, pool, at which he is pretty fricking good. But those of us on the scene before his departure will no doubt remember David as one of the most unique people that was ever on it. Be it his passion for all things Countdown, pool or football trivia related, David was no wallflower. I personally fondly remember the way he kept alternately denying being tired at the first Co:Bliv in between falling asleep. Good times.

I hope we can do it again sometime. David always went hard at things, no middle ground, and the same will no doubt be true of his recovery journey. Until then, pour one out for David B Barnard, and look after yourselves.

EDIT: Thread title, for obvious reason.
Last edited by Mark Deeks on Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Please say a prayer for David Barnard

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is horrible news and we can only hope that he can make a good recovery from this. Although I don't know him very well I have met David at a few events before his Countdown retirement so this is quite shocking.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I haven't met David in person, but very much enjoyed his ZoomDown appearances - seems like a nice natured lad with a good sense of humour!

Hope you get to read this soon David - thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Yeah was shocked to hear this, please extend our best wishes to him and his family, we're all thinking of him.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Absolutely crushing news. Didn't know him too much personally but he seemed very amiable and full of energy - my best wishes are with him and his loved ones at this time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Discovered the news on Facebook a few days ago. Thoughts are with him, his family and friends at this worrying time.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

All the best to David and his loved ones.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Always sad to hear a member of Countdonia is suffering. Hope he pulls through.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

This certainly came out of the blue for me, loved seeing him on ZD having such a good time. Hoping for the absolute best for the guy. <3
One of da 'Muricans
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Terrible news. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

I saw it on facebook, David is always a pleasure to play with and we always have a good laugh .... wishing him a speedy recovery x
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Update - David has opened his eyes. Long way to go, but it's all progress.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Ah that's great news, thanks for the update Mark
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:58 pm Update - David has opened his eyes. Long way to go, but it's all progress.
That is great news Mark, thank you for the update.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He had a scan today which showed nothing of consequence, and they are now talking about rehab. This is positive news.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:07 pm He had a scan today which showed nothing of consequence, and they are now talking about rehab. This is positive news.
Oh wow, excellent news - this is sounding way more optimistic than last week!
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:24 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:07 pm He had a scan today which showed nothing of consequence, and they are now talking about rehab. This is positive news.
Oh wow, excellent news - this is sounding way more optimistic than last week!
That is great news
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Very encouraging. Hoping that David makes a full recovery soon.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Sending prayers-terribly sorry to hear he's not been well, but glad to hear the encouraging news
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

He's now had a tracheotomy, reducing the chances of infection and is now breathing and swallowing a lot easier.

He reacted positively when this thread was mentioned to him so please keep up the kind words.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He's off the ventilator now and they plan to move him to a regular ward once they remove the tracheostomy tube.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Sending best wishes to David. He has a great sense of humour, I always had a good laugh playing him on Apterous. Get well soon, David.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Anyone have an update on how David's doing?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Anderson wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:51 am Anyone have an update on how David's doing?
The latest I've seen from his mother (posted yesterday):
I saw David today. He has got a speaking valve in his tracheostomy. He has started making noises for the first time and he looks really surprised every time it happens. He hasn't been able to prop his head up as the muscle tone has gone in his neck.
He looked happy to see and hear me and seemed to smile when I told him I was going to drop my phone on his head again. I'm visiting him tomorrow so I hope to have some more good news for you all xx
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, there's a JustGiving page for David.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

So, let's not beat around the bush here. It's a hard truth but it's an unavoidable one. After much testing and unsuccessful rehabilitation, it has been determined that there is no hope of recovery for David, and he is being moved into hospice care for whatever time he has left.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:53 pm So, let's not beat around the bush here. It's a hard truth but it's an unavoidable one. After much testing and unsuccessful rehabilitation, it has been determined that there is no hope of recovery for David, and he is being moved into hospice care for whatever time he has left.
That's incredibly sad to hear. I just hope he has as good a quality of life as is possible there with the time he has left. Poor David. My thoughts are with his family.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Learned of this development a few weeks ago. This is an unbelievably sad time. My healtfelt thoughts are with this family and friends.
Series 78 Runner-up
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Absolutely awful news. Only ever met David once, but he seemed a top lad. My thoughts are with him and his family and I hope he can be made as comfortable as possible in whatever time he has left.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Very sad news indeed. I hope his mum has the support she needs at this incredibly difficult time. My thoughts are with David and his mum.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Really wish I coulda met the guy, looks like he always had a good time when I saw him on Zoomdown. Thoughts and prayers to him and his close friends and family.
One of da 'Muricans
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

This is a proper shame. David was a top guy!
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Was just thinking about him, that’s very sad news indeed. Please extend our sympathies to his Mum.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

That is so sad David is a really nice guy, sympathies to his family.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:53 pm So, let's not beat around the bush here. It's a hard truth but it's an unavoidable one. After much testing and unsuccessful rehabilitation, it has been determined that there is no hope of recovery for David, and he is being moved into hospice care for whatever time he has left.
Very sad news. Sending best wishes and thoughts to David's family.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

I am sorry to be posting like this, I have received bad news from David's friends and family that he has only weeks left to live please spare a thought for his friends and family at this sad time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Looks like he won’t make it to Christmas this year, after seeing on his Facebook wall he only has 2-3 weeks left. Devastating beyond comprehension. Heartfelt wishes to his family and friends at this unbelievably devastating moment of sadness.
Series 78 Runner-up
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yes, it's all very sad. Not sure what else to add really.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Contrary to the misinformation of some absolute pricks in this community - who seem so committed to being edgy and/or in the know that they're willing to lie about someone else's life - David is still with us. It is true that he has mere days left. But he's still here, no matter what the lying fuckers out there among us say. (And yes, receipts are being kept.)
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 am Contrary to the misinformation of some absolute pricks in this community - who seem so committed to being edgy and/or in the know that they're willing to lie about someone else's life - David is still with us. It is true that he has mere days left. But he's still here, no matter what the lying fuckers out there among us say. (And yes, receipts are being kept.)
God some motherfuckers have a real nerve to pull shit like that. Stupid as hell for people to pull that kinda stuff in THIS fucking day and age, drives me up the wall. Glad to at least hear that he's still doing okay, but really hope for him to live for as long as he's able to. Sending some more love and support to him and his family in thought.
One of da 'Muricans
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

By Countdown community do you mean Apterous specifically, as I haven't seen anything here?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I am referring to Facebook posts and private chat messages circulated by, and emanating from, C4C and Apterous members.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

ICBW and I think you know more about who's said what where than I do, but I got the impression it stemmed from a misunderstanding based on a badly worded post (which has largely been dealt with elsewhere) which implied he was no longer with us, rather than a deliberate attempt to pretend he had died.

It goes without saying that this is an incredibly tough time for those close to him, so everyone needs to think carefully before they post anything that could be misinterpreted or add to the family's distress.

Of course if someone really did deliberately lie rather than accidentally mislead about this, then that is completely unforgiveable.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Have removed a couple of posts that threatened to derail this thread. Let's keep it about David, please.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Well done, Ben and a huge thank you for doing that.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

The post from Mark that starts with:-
Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 am Contrary to the misinformation of some absolute pricks in this community
...is utterly unnecessary, in bad taste, and derails the thread.
Please remove it, and any other post (including this one) that replies to it or quotes it.

Thank you.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:32 pm The post from Mark that starts with:-
Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 am Contrary to the misinformation of some absolute pricks in this community
...is utterly unnecessary, in bad taste, and derails the thread.
Please remove it, and any other post (including this one) that replies to it or quotes it.

Thank you.
Funnily enough that's what I thought Ben did or at least meant to do
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

People who lie about his welfare - not those mistaken by the disjointed misinformation, but those outright claiming it - are indeed absolute pricks and I retract nothing.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

Ben Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:08 am Have removed a couple of posts that threatened to derail this thread. Let's keep it about David, please.
Well done Ben there is no need for hateful and vitriolic posts on this thread, please spare a thought for his poor mother in all of this she does not deserve any of it and nor does David people need to be respectful when they post.
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Even better if everything in the last three days was deleted and a few bans were issued.

It's rather like when someone doesn't observe the minute's silence at a football match, and some moron thinks the appropriate response is to bellow foul-mouthed abuse.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

There's conspiracy theories about his welfare, and yet it's all the swearing that his mum would find the problem. Gotcha. Oh for a head as cool as yours, to really focus on what matters.

No change for David ATM. His mum would however like to ask if anyone has copies of his appearances on Countdown (a letters and numbers game show on Channel 4) that she could have, as they no longer have copies and would ofc like them.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

On an uplifting note, David's mum got married in the past few weeks, and David was the de facto best man. In his condition, special permission had to be sought in order for him to be able to attend, permission from the medical teams and the Church of England. But they all stepped up, with the Archbishop of Canterbury himself personally stepping in to do the procedural things that needed doing. Pretty cool
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:19 pm There's conspiracy theories about his welfare, and yet it's all the swearing that his mum would find the problem. Gotcha. Oh for a head as cool as yours, to really focus on what matters.

No change for David ATM. His mum would however like to ask if anyone has copies of his appearances on Countdown (a letters and numbers game show on Channel 4) that she could have, as they no longer have copies and would ofc like them.
Here's his 2 finals games Mark:

QF - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ajjpm

SF - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8an2fk
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Cheers, those were also the two I'd found. Anyone got the heats?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Sadly not. Although if you email the show I believe they can give you a copy or copies!
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Post by Jason William Larsen »

I really hope I don't know any of the people who have been spreading rumors about David. Yes, in the last in-depth conversation we had, he may have had a few drinks, but he had meant well in that conversation. Unfortunately, we didn't say goodbye because I think he would have been sober and had more to say at a later time. Sadly, we'll never know.

Ben, I want to tell you that I think David was drinking responsibly at the time. I do not mean to start any more conspiracy theories about David based on his alcohol consumption. Anyone who met me in Huddersfield will tell you that we did drink before our dinner at the Yorkshire Rose Pub before our dinner six years ago, and I knew not to judge people for drinking anyway.

Does anyone have proof that David was at his mom's wedding? May I possibly see a picture of David while he was conscious, please? It amazed me to read Mark's post stating he was actually there!

Regardless, when someone's last Facebook post states their discomfort, you know something is wrong. I remember his mom replying to that post asking him what was wrong, and he did not reply to her. It is terribly sad that she may never find out what caused his illness in the first place.

Once again, it is a real blow to know that David is nearing the end of his life, but we shall remember him for what he is - a great Countdown player, and a very humble person.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

David died at 9.50pm this evening.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Thanks for letting us know Mark. RIP David.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:10 pm David died at 9.50pm this evening.
Very sad news. RIP David. Thoughts with those from the community who knew him well, and especially for his mum and family.
Last edited by Fiona T on Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Very sorry to hear this. RIP David and condolences to his family and friends.