Game of the Year (GotY) 2021 - voting

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Game of the Year (GotY) 2021 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks to all those who submitted nominations for GotY 2021.

2021 proved to be an absolutely sensational year for apterous, largely owing to people having a lot more time to play on it (as in 2020). This year, I have decided to make a couple of changes, so please read the rules carefully.

Voting rules:

- Each person should submit one of 12 options for each game when voting: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or Abstain (0 is worst and 10 is best). You can submit the same vote for as many games as you like. The games will be ranked by the average score received from the 0-10 votes (abstentions excluded). However, unlike in previous years, you may abstain on any games, not just your own.
- I have included a sentence explaining the core merits of each game. This serves to potentially aid you with how you allocate your votes. It is by no means the only thing you have to take in to account for a game, though.
- If you do not understand what a particular set-up means, then the information is easily accessible at the top left-hand of each game. The time and variant are stated there, and the variant explanation can be found by clicking on it.
- You cannot change your votes once they are submitted, so please ensure that you are happy with them before you submit.

There are eleven games to choose from this year.

Nominees

Game A: Apterous Prune 0 - 217 Dave Robjohns - First, and only, spoilage 9 max game.
Game B: Matthew Tassier 176 - 0 Apterous Prune - Spoilage numbers attack high score.
Game C: Apterous Prune 0 - 179 RJ Huggins - 15 rounder high score.
Game D: Apterous Prune 0 - 216 Elliott Mellor - Lightning goatblitz high score.
Game E: Rob Foster 383 - 401 Elliott Mellor - Goat attack with 24 tiebreak rounds.
Game F: Stephen R 200 - 0 Apterous Prune - First, and only, max Welsh conundrum attack.
Game G: Callum Todd 250 - 0 Apterous Prune - Hypergoat letters attack high score.
Game H: Apterous Prune 0 - 196 Ronan M Higginson - Speed goatblind 15 max and metamax.
Game I: Jack Worsley 655 - 662 Apterous Rex - Max letters attack with 61 tiebreak rounds.
Game J: Apterous Prune 0 - 144 Elliott Mellor - First, and only, max berserk 15.
Game K: Florence C-L 349 - 0 Apterous Prune - First, and only, max spoilage 15.

So, without further ado...

VOTING FOR GotY 2021 IS NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE ON SATURDAY 9 APRIL 2022 AT 11.59pm. VOTES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO ME BY PRIVATE MESSAGE ON THIS FORUM OR BY APTOMAIL. PLEASE SUBMIT EACH VOTE CLEARLY AND UNAMBIGUOUSLY.

Happy voting! :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2021 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Nominations have now closed.

Voting thread is live here.

Edit: Wrong thread lmao.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Two weeks left to vote!!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

One week left!!!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Last day!!!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

THE GotY 2021 POLL HAS NOW CLOSED.[/size][/b]

A HUGE thank you to all those who nominated and voted this year. The standard this year was possibly the highest ever, and a very large number of 10s were dished out (deservedly!)

Every game that was in the running this year had earnt its place, and it really does seem a shame that many of them aren't even getting a podium finish. However, to be one of the top 11 games out of over 300000 that were played in 2021 is a spectacular achievement in itself.

So, without further ado...

GOTY 2021 goes to Apterous Prune 0 - 144 Elliott Mellor
In second place we have Matthew Tassier 176 - 0 Apterous Prune
In third place we have Florence C-L 349 - 0 Apterous Prune

Before anyone cries "fix!", I have had this result independently verified by the very dashing chap who hosted to CO:LON final yesterday (I sent him screenshots of all the votes, and my private messages folders on c4 and apto so he could see they were indeed the only votes sent). It really was how it worked out. So I now have the awkward duty of congratulating myself on winning GotY, and also Tass and Florence for their respective second and third finishes.

Both the first and second place games averaged over 9 points, which is unparalleled territory for games in GotY. The standard this year really was obscene - Tass has deservedly gained second place for his titanic effort in spoilage numbers, and Florence completes the podium with her unique accomplishment in another spoilage variant - the 15 rounder.

See you all next year for GOTY 2022!

Thanks again! :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nice. I was too lazy to nominate/vote this year but well done for organising this again and for winning!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Always a pleasure to run and commentate - much better than having it automated, don't you think? :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I dunno - finding the games to nominate is a pain! The rest is OK though.