Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Post by Fiona T »

For the Summer of 2022, we're very excited to bring you a new FOCAL event in the city of Brighton hosted by Fiona Titcombe and Lesley Jeavons.

When is it?

16 July 2022. Doors will open at 11:30, with the first round draw taking place shortly after. Please arrive by 11:45.

Where is it?

Lewes Road United Reformed Church, a 20 minute walk from Brighton station.

Map

Brighton is an hour from London Victoria by train, or 25 minutes from Gatwick Airport

The venue is wheelchair accessible, and there is parking available.

What will I be doing?

You will play six 9-round games of Countdown in the 'Lincoln' style of tournament. After six games, the top two players will face each other in the grand final.
The first round is drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the second and third rounds you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The aim is to have fun, and there will be plenty of prizes on offer.

What about lunch?

You can bring a packed lunch, or there are plenty of local shops. Tea and coffee will be available at the venue.

And after?

We'll book a meal for those who are interested on Saturday night. More details soon.

Where can I stay?

There are plenty of hotels around Brighton, but they can be pricey in the holiday season. There are several campsites nearby which could be fun and affordable alternative.
Booking early usually secures the best price, so get booked as soon as you can. If you need help, talk to us.

I'm in - what do I do?

The entry fee is £12. We would prefer you to pay via Paypal. If you can't pay via paypal, then please contact Lesley or Fiona to make alternative arrangements. Please ensure you select the family and friends option.

Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Any questions, please contact Lesley or Fiona, and we'll do our best to help.

We look forward to seeing you there!

facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/973450026932798/

Confirmed attendees (40)

Thomas Carey
Darren Godfrey
Rachael Montgomery
Phil Stanton
Oliver Walker
Mike Lee
Paul Anderson
Joseph Bartram
George Armstrong
James Robinson
Dave Robjohns
Adam Dexter
David Hilton
Stephen Holford
Louis Freedman
MSR
Gabriel Thallon
Coral Heath
Adam Latchford
Neil Collins
Liam Davis
Sam Hughes
Adam Beach
Damian McEvoy
Ellen Harrison
Anon
Ed Byrne
Tim Hebbes
Rachel Perkins
Timothy Goaté
Jeff Clayton
Jonathan De Souza
Matthew Brockwell
Daaniyal Ali
Sarah Harris
Jonathan Wynn
Matthew Tassier
Lynne Cumberland
Dan Spinks
Ann Dibben
Last edited by Fiona T on Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Co:Brighton - 16 July 2022

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is exciting - a new non-northern CO-event.

But the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation? Well, it seems that there are basically five Brighton parkruns. And from this link, you can see that in order of closeness to the venue, they are:

1. Bevendean Down - 0.8 miles
2. Preston Park - 1.1 miles
3. East Brighton - 1.8 miles
4. Brighton and Hove - 2.1 miles
5. Hove Promenade - 2.2 miles

And their overall "speed" rankings:

34. Hove Promenade
113. Preston Park
130. Brighton and Hove
631. East Brighton
692. Bevendean Down

But it also depends on where people are going to be coming from. E.g. If they're staying in a hotel, where are they most likely to stay and which parkrun is closest to that?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I hadn't spotted Bevendean - Preston Park looked like a good bet. Kicking off at 11:30, so plenty of time for a parkrun - rookie error for London in that I didn't give myself time!
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

For info, Preston park and Hove Prom are my regulars-I've done Preston park 20 times and Hove Prom around 12 (it's now my local since moving house so will overtake Preston Park in time), and Brighton and Hove, the 'official one', ironically just once.

Personally, I think the Prom is the one you'd want to do if possible timewise. It's totally flat, very pretty on a summer's morning as it's right on the seafront, and there's even a good chance you'll see Joe Wilkinson as he's there most weeks, if you like that sort of thing :)

I haven't done Bevendean but am planning to so at some point this year, and certainly before July 16th. I'll report back in this same thread when I do. I suspect it would be quite a nice one as it's in the downs which are beautiful. Currently I just know that it's hard to find and has a very low attendance (normally around 30 I think?)
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pm This is exciting - a new non-northern CO-event.

But the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation? Well, it seems that there are basically five Brighton parkruns. And from this link, you can see that in order of closeness to the venue, they are:

1. Bevendean Down - 0.8 miles
2. Preston Park - 1.1 miles
3. East Brighton - 1.8 miles
4. Brighton and Hove - 2.1 miles
5. Hove Promenade - 2.2 miles

And their overall "speed" rankings:

34. Hove Promenade
113. Preston Park
130. Brighton and Hove
631. East Brighton
692. Bevendean Down

But it also depends on where people are going to be coming from. E.g. If they're staying in a hotel, where are they most likely to stay and which parkrun is closest to that?
Most of the hotels will I suspect be closest to Hove Prom (although there is a Travelodge directly opposite Preston Park fwiw)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

How lovely to see Lesley's name appear on the hosting duties!
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pmBut the obvious first thought - what is the parkrun situation?
And there I was thinking your obvious first thought would be to complain about Edinburgh style being called Lincoln style.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Matt. ❤️ Are you coming? Would LOVE to see / meet you. 🤗 L x
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Unfortunately I'm busy that day, but I would strongly recommend getting there early. Lewes Road is horrid to traverse via bus at the best of times, and if you're coming on the number 25 bus it's even worse.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:37 pm Unfortunately I'm busy that day, but I would strongly recommend getting there early. Lewes Road is horrid to traverse via bus at the best of times, and if you're coming on the number 25 bus it's even worse.
Coupled with the Brighton Bear Weekend it'll be even busier... 🐻🏳️‍🌈 https://brightonbearweekend.com/
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Rawr.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

https://www.worldsend.pub/
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

Looks brilliant. Still looking highly unlikely that I'll be able to make it but hope those than do attend have fun.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:11 am
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm Lesley's booked us into an arcade pub for dinner after the event - if you'd like to join us, please let us know!

Looks brilliant. Still looking highly unlikely that I'll be able to make it but hope those than do attend have fun.
I was thinking the same. Vegan food and that weird racing thing. I can't make it though.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Maybe next year for us Gev!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yes, would be good.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I'm liking the look of Bevendean - very low attendance, and looks a lovely course.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Two weeks to go! If you know you're definitely coming but haven't signed up yet, it would be helpful if you could do so asap :)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:09 pm Confirmed attendees (28)

Thomas Carey
Darren Godfrey
Rachael Montgomery
Phil Stanton
Oliver Walker
Mike Lee
Paul Anderson
Joseph Bartram
George Armstrong
James Robinson
Dave Robjohns
Adam Dexter
David Hilton
Stephen Holford
Louis Freedman
MSR
Gabriel Thallon
Coral Heath
Adam Latchford
Neil Collins
Liam Davis
Sam Hughes
Stuart Moore
Adam Beach
Damian McEvoy
Ellen Harrison
Anon
Ed Byrne
Anon = Chloe Jones.
Mystery solved! :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

FRIDAY AFTERNOON
As many of you know my husband and I have a little vegan toffee factory in Newhaven, just outside of Brighton. Anyone who wants to come and visit on the Friday afternoon is more than welcome.
So far Adam Dexter and Thomas Carey intend to come and help make some treats for the Saturday. 🤤 🍬🍫 🍪 Don’t worry if you’re anti hippy-dippy veganism or whatever; our stuff is mainstream ’normal’ confectionery like Rolo’s, Toffee Crisps etc, not weird alternatives. 🤗
No idea what we’ll be making yet, but it will be something run through chocolate…
You can get to Newhaven on a number 12/12A bus from Brighton, or a train from Brighton too to Newhaven Town (not! Harbour).
If anyone fancies it let me know. 🤗 Lesley x
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

L'oisleatch, why do you do that thing where you 'expose' anonymity? If someone wants to sign up to an event, but not give their name, so as to not have it bandied around among people on a forum they don't even themselves use, that's their right, one that everyone else manages to respect. Why don't you?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Mark Deeks wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 am L'oisleatch, why do you do that thing where you 'expose' anonymity? If someone wants to sign up to an event, but not give their name, so as to not have it bandied around among people on a forum they don't even themselves use, that's their right, one that everyone else manages to respect. Why don't you?
FTAOD, it's not Chloe.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:18 am FTAOD, it's not Chloe.
Ok so...
If it's not Chloe, then it's probably Ronan Higginson, and the idea to put down "anon" was Fiona's, because he's a minor.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:34 pm
Fiona T wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:18 am FTAOD, it's not Chloe.
Ok so...
If it's not Chloe, then it's probably Ronan Higginson, and the idea to put down "anon" was Fiona's, because he's a minor.
http://c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... 2b#p195798
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Plot thickens.
I'll work this out eventually...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Not only are you a 46 year old early-hours internet edgelord; it seems you're a 46 year old early-hours internet edgelord who is really bad at it all. It's all going really well for you, be proud. Anyway, go ahead and dodge my valid question about your disrespectful behaviour, just like you have done in other threads. I appreciate that introspection is scary.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:45 am Anyway, go ahead and dodge my valid question about your disrespectful behaviour, just like you have done in other threads.
Deekseses's sulky insult-laden diatribe seems to stem from the simple fact that he said "Jump", and I refused to respond "How high?"
I'll tell you what... for the craic, I will do it one day... or preferably late at night, (coz why the fuck not?)
But not today, and not tomorrow, and probably not this month.
One day when I'm bored, I will seek out all these times when poor oul Deeksy failed to get a response and go thru 'em one by one.
So there's that to look forward to. (You can put your toys back in the pram now...)

The one thing I will say on the "anon" controversy, is that it does remind us all that co-events are a fan-run unofficial tournament scene, because it would not be tolerated in Tennis or Scrabble, or Chess, or any other competitive scene that takes itself seriously.

[Edited to include my latest guess. Anon = someone who considers themselves to be a celebrity. Perhaps Paul Zenon.]
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

And therein lies the problem with your entire act. You're not a serious person. You can't outfunny the funny and you can't stand up to questions, because that would mean taking yourself seriously, and I don't think you have that ability. So you deflect. Someone asks a question = they're telling you jump, someone respects the views of others = they're virtue signaling, yada yada yada. All them tropes. All done to deflect, because to answer my question would mean having to either (a) explain why you were being disrespectful to a stranger, or (b) make an argument for why it wasn't disrespectful. You can't do that, so you flake, flailing as you go. It's a tough watch, and it would be funny if you weren't using the act to try and dox women and minors in a community not exactly noted for its respectful behaviour towards people in those categories. The only saving grace is that you're bloody terrible at it. Anyway, sorry Fiona, have your thread back, sorry.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

An entrant to Brighton asked if their name could be kept off the entrant list. It's not a celeb, it's not a minor, it's not even a minor celeb. But if they want their entry not to be published, then I'm happy to respect that and, whilst I appreciate that you may not agree with it, I'd ask you to respect it too and stop the speculation.

If you do strongly believe that anonymous entries should not be allowed, then I'm sure a sensible discussion can be had in the organisers' forum.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 am I'd ask you to respect it too and stop the speculation.
No point being dishonest with you... the speculation will not stop.
Though I won't clog your Brighton thread with it anymore.

Unless they're gonna wear a paper bag over their head at the event and go by "anon" on the day, I'm gonna find out who it is anyway.
Are you planning on publishing the final standings of this event?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

So I thought I'd Google you, and it turns out you run, or at least have a senior role in the running of, a school. I imagine this comes with safeguarding responsibilities. I therefore find it doubly concerning that you think doxing minors against their will is acceptable. Your behaviour is pretty appalling.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

(Though Mark will continue to clog up your thread.
More power to him.)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Less than a week to go to this event! Very exciting times.
I hope it goes well for ye and everyone has a good time.

To tie in with my other contributions here so far, I have one more random bit of speculation.
I predict that Sympathetic Jones will put together a lunchtime quiz for ye! :mrgreen:

(Oh crap though... I fear I may just have doxxed* Sympathetic Jones! How appalling. :( )

*By the Deeks definition of dox, whereby you don't actually reveal any private information about any individual at all... and we have to assume that is a correct definition, because Deeks is a very serious person, so he'd know.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:46 am ... will put together a lunchtime quiz for ye!
It's very much appreciated when people opt to contribute something positive towards other people's events.
Neil A Collins

Post by Neil A Collins »

Anon = Eoin Jackson perhaps
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Brighton2022
16 July 2022

STANDINGS

Players are ranked by wins, then points.

P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst 6 5 373
2 Jonathan DeSouza 6 6 403
3 Ann Dibben 6 5 361
4 Tim Hebbes 6 5 355
5 Mike Lee 6 5 346
6 Adam Dexter 6 5 332
7 George Armstrong 6 4 388
8 Matthew Brockwell 6 4 374
9 James Robinson 6 4 366
10 Thomas Carey 6 4 355
11 Ed Byrne 6 4 354
12 Mark Tournoff 6 4 335
13 Jonathan Wynn 6 4 317
14 Gabriel Thallon 6 4 311
15 MSR 6 4 275
16 Darren Godfrey 6 3 332
17 Adam Latchford 6 3 323
18 Neil Collins 6 3 302
19 Dave Robjohns 6 3 294
20 Jeff Clayton 6 3 292
21 Phil Stanton 6 3 264
22 Dan Spinks 6 3 256
23 Lynne Cumberland 6 3 220
24 Paul Anderson 6 2 329
25 Matthew Tassier 6 2 321
26 Coral Heath 6 2 306
27 Stephen Holford 6 2 285
28 Joseph Bartram 6 2 275
29 Damian McEvoy 6 2 265
30 Louis Freedman 6 2 251
31 Ellen Harrison 6 2 249
32 Adam Beach 6 2 247
33 Sam Hughes 6 2 227
34 Sarah Harris 4 2 94
35 Rachael Montgomery 6 1 278
36 David Hilton 6 1 232
37 Liam Davis 6 1 137
38 Rachel Perkins 6 1 135
39 Timothy Goaté 6 0 29
40 Paddington Prune 2 0 0

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1
Adam Dexter 62 - 0 Timothy Goaté
Timothy Goaté 4 - 41 Liam Davis
Liam Davis 19 - 78 Adam Dexter

Table 2
Ann Dibben 52 - 39 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 28 - 60 Coral Heath
Coral Heath 43 - 61 Ann Dibben

Table 3
Louis Freedman 35 - 64 Ed Byrne
Ed Byrne 46 - 64 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 82 - 26 Louis Freedman

Table 4
Neil Collins 59 - 49 Joseph Bartram
Joseph Bartram 44 - 61 Jeff Clayton
Jeff Clayton 66 - 44 Neil Collins

Table 5
Dave Robjohns 52 - 62 Darren Godfrey
Darren Godfrey 64 - 62 Gabriel Thallon
Gabriel Thallon 34 - 44 Dave Robjohns

Table 6
Rachel Perkins 21 - 33 Sam Hughes
Sam Hughes 28 - 59 Mike Lee
Mike Lee 68 - 38 Rachel Perkins

Table 7
Paul Anderson 63 - 59 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 36 - 19 Ellen Harrison
Ellen Harrison 46 - 66 Paul Anderson

Table 8
Matthew Brockwell 83 - 65 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 63 - 21 Adam Beach
Adam Beach 40 - 66 Matthew Brockwell

Table 9
Mark Tournoff 57 - 43 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 69 - 20 MSR
MSR 38 - 58 Mark Tournoff

Table 10
Stephen Holford 66 - 32 Lynne Cumberland
Lynne Cumberland 11 - 64 James Robinson
James Robinson 67 - 23 Stephen Holford

Table 11
Phil Stanton 54 - 49 Rachael Montgomery
Rachael Montgomery 63 - 43 David Hilton
David Hilton 32 - 58 Phil Stanton

Table 12
Matthew Tassier 61 - 68 Adam Latchford
Adam Latchford 61 - 0 Paddington Prune
Paddington Prune 0 - 65 Matthew Tassier

Table 13
Jonathan DeSouza 73 - 34 Damian McEvoy
Damian McEvoy 45 - 56 Jonathan Wynn
Jonathan Wynn 58 - 84 Jonathan DeSouza

Round 2

Table 1
Matthew Brockwell 50 - 60 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 37 - 50 Jonathan DeSouza
Jonathan DeSouza 60 - 50 Matthew Brockwell

Table 2
James Robinson 68 - 51 Adam Latchford
Adam Latchford 45 - 50 Adam Dexter
Adam Dexter 31 - 59 James Robinson

Table 3
Jeff Clayton 50 - 66 Mike Lee
Mike Lee 53 - 48 Paul Anderson
Paul Anderson 54 - 61 Jeff Clayton

Table 4
Mark Tournoff 62*- 52 Ann Dibben
Ann Dibben 84 - 50 Darren Godfrey
Darren Godfrey 66 - 76 Mark Tournoff

Table 5
Thomas Carey 69 - 41 Matthew Tassier
Matthew Tassier 53 - 55 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 37 - 62 Thomas Carey

Table 6
George Armstrong 80 - 27 Rachael Montgomery
Rachael Montgomery 47 - 49 Jonathan Wynn
Jonathan Wynn 46 - 62 George Armstrong

Table 7
Coral Heath 72 - 57 Neil Collins
Neil Collins 29 - 68 Ed Byrne
Ed Byrne 56 - 39 Coral Heath

Table 8
Tim Hebbes 70 - 60 Stephen Holford
Stephen Holford 32 - 59 Dave Robjohns
Dave Robjohns 49 - 71 Tim Hebbes

Table 9
Liam Davis 21 - 61 Gabriel Thallon
Gabriel Thallon 45 - 41 Sam Hughes
Sam Hughes 50 - 23 Liam Davis

Table 10
Damian McEvoy 37 - 46 David Hilton
David Hilton 41 - 57 Joseph Bartram
Joseph Bartram 52 - 28 Damian McEvoy

Table 11
Adam Beach 32 - 50 Louis Freedman
Louis Freedman 46 - 48 Ellen Harrison
Ellen Harrison 68 - 50 Adam Beach

Table 12
Rachel Perkins 7 - 63 MSR
MSR 42 - 40 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 61 - 21 Rachel Perkins

Table 13
Timothy Goaté 9 - 25 Sarah Harris
Sarah Harris 16 - 54 Lynne Cumberland
Lynne Cumberland 45 - 5 Timothy Goaté

Round 3

Table 1
James Robinson 46 - 48 Mike Lee
Mike Lee 52 - 63 Jonathan DeSouza
Jonathan DeSouza 73 - 62 James Robinson

Table 2
Thomas Carey 28 - 62 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 68 - 44 Mark Tournoff
Mark Tournoff 48 - 68 Thomas Carey

Table 3
Ann Dibben 48 - 31 Jeff Clayton
Jeff Clayton 23 - 81 George Armstrong
George Armstrong 53 - 64 Ann Dibben

Table 4
Adam Dexter 54 - 27 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 33 - 66 Ed Byrne
Ed Byrne 54 - 57 Adam Dexter

Table 5
Darren Godfrey 49 - 45 Paul Anderson
Paul Anderson 53 - 63 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 62 - 41 Darren Godfrey

Table 6
Adam Latchford 71 - 29 Coral Heath
Coral Heath 63 - 74 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 45 - 27 Adam Latchford

Table 7
Dave Robjohns 68 - 30 Joseph Bartram
Joseph Bartram 43 - 62 Jonathan Wynn
Jonathan Wynn 46 - 22 Dave Robjohns

Table 8
Stephen Holford 55 - 35 Ellen Harrison
Ellen Harrison 33 - 56 Gabriel Thallon
Gabriel Thallon 53 - 49 Stephen Holford

Table 9
Sam Hughes 37 - 49 Lynne Cumberland
Lynne Cumberland 29 - 58 MSR
MSR 54 - 38 Sam Hughes

Table 10
Neil Collins 63 - 46 Rachael Montgomery
Rachael Montgomery 46 - 51 Matthew Tassier
Matthew Tassier 50 -*60 Neil Collins

Table 11
David Hilton 40 - 46 Louis Freedman
Louis Freedman 48 - 51 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 37 - 30 David Hilton

Table 12
Sarah Harris 17 - 63 Damian McEvoy
Damian McEvoy 58 - 19 Liam Davis
Liam Davis 14 - 36 Sarah Harris

Table 13
Rachel Perkins 34 - 11 Timothy Goaté
Timothy Goaté 0 - 56 Adam Beach
Adam Beach 48 - 14 Rachel Perkins

Final
Jonathan DeSouza 77 - 118 Jack Hurst

The video of the Grand Final is at https://youtu.be/0_685lkEKpA
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Enjoyed watching the final. Thanks for uploading :D

Congrats Jack and good effort Jonny
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 am
P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst 6 5 373
Surely Jack is the 6/6 person?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm
P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst 6 5 373
No, Jack won 5. He's only shown at the top of the standings because he won the final.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst 6 5 373
As Graeme said, Jonny was #1 after the 6 heat games had been played, with 6/6 wins.

However, he finishes in 2nd position as Jack won the event. The GF isn't included in the games count/points scored (and even if it was it would still be feasible for the #2 to have more wins than #1)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm Jonny was #1 after the 6 heat games had been played, with 6/6 wins.
Dream tourney for him so! Must be a personal best.
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm (and even if it was it would still be feasible for the #2 to have more wins than #1)
Nope. Can't see it. You're gonna have to talk me through a scenario where that could be true.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:21 pm
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm Jonny was #1 after the 6 heat games had been played, with 6/6 wins.
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm (and even if it was it would still be feasible for the #2 to have more wins than #1)
Nope. Can't see it. You're gonna have to talk me through a scenario where that could be true.
#1 seed has 6 wins
#2 seed has 4 wins

#2 seed beats #1 seed...
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm
#1 seed has 6 wins
#2 seed has 4 wins

#2 seed beats #1 seed...
I can't quite remember exactly where/when but pretty sure we've had at least one co:event final before where P2 had two fewer wins than P1. No idea if they won the final or not.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm #1 seed has 6 wins
#2 seed has 4 wins
In any version of that scenario, is it mathematically possible for someone to finish on 4 wins and still be positioned 2nd before the grand final?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:38 pm
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm

#1 seed has 6 wins
#2 seed has 4 wins

#2 seed beats #1 seed...
I can't quite remember exactly where/when but pretty sure we've had at least one co:event final before where P2 had two fewer wins than P1. No idea if they won the final or not.
If memory serves, Conor won 4/6 at Cobliv 2013 and still won the final- but there were QFs and SFs that day.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:07 pm
Fiona T wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm #1 seed has 6 wins
#2 seed has 4 wins
In any version of that scenario, is it mathematically possible for someone to finish on 4 wins and still be positioned 2nd before the grand final?
Yes. One way to get there is for the standings table after round 2 to have one person on 4/4 wins and some arbitrary number of people on 3/4 wins. In round 3, on table 1 the undefeated person wins both their games, putting them on 6 wins. Everyone who was on three wins wins one game and loses one game (edit: except one person on table 1 who loses both). Now you have one person on six wins, nobody on five, and an arbitrary number of people on four.

Between rounds, there's no minimum number of people who must be undefeated. A table can always have each player winning one and losing one.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

And no doubt even more so in a Bristol-esque setting.
Which begs the question, is it possible for the 2nd placed player to be on 3/6 wins going into the grand final?!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:19 pm And no doubt even more so in a Bristol-esque setting.
Which begs the question, is it possible for the 2nd placed player to be on 3/6 wins going into the grand final?!
Yes. It's also possible for the first placed player to be on 3/6. Recall that on a 3-player table, if A beats B, B beats C and C beats A, they each get one win. Now imagine this happens on every table, in every round. Everyone ends up with three wins.

This is the limit, though. Assuming everyone plays six games and there are at least three (edit: six) players, it's not possible to end up 1st or 2nd with fewer than 3 wins. The total number of wins always equals the total number of games, which is half the number of games each player plays multiplied by the number of players. Therefore the mean win count across all players after 6 games each has to be 3, so if you've got 2 wins there must be someone else on 4, and there must be another player on at least 3. (ignore this paragraph, it's wrong)

Edit to add: just realised you can be in second place on two wins if you have exactly three players. If three players play six games each across three rounds, they might end up on 6, 2 and 1.

Further edit: you can't end up in second place with two wins if there are six or more players.

Proof: If everyone plays six games, the total number of wins must equal 3N, where N is the number of players. If the second placed player has two wins, then the N-1 players finishing lower than first must have a maximum of two wins each, so the total number of wins by the second-placed player and below must be no more than (N-1) * 2. We know the total number of wins across all players is 3N, so the first-placed player must have at least 3N - (N-1)*2 wins, which simplifies to N + 2. Clearly the first-placed player can't have won N + 2 out of 6 games unless N <= 4.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm
P W Pts
1 Jack Hurst 6 5 373
No, Jack won 5. He's only shown at the top of the standings because he won the final.
I find that standard quite confusing. It's unclear what's being conveyed.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:21 pm

I find that standard quite confusing. It's unclear what's being conveyed.
I think the reason I made Atropine do this is so that when you copy-paste the standings table into the big spreadsheet for calculating the FOCAL points for the year, the top two are already in the right order.

Atropine's HTML standings table has an additional column to indicate who won and lost the final - perhaps I need to put that in the plain text version as well.