Nostalgia Isn't What It Used To Be

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Nostalgia Isn't What It Used To Be

Post by Marc Meakin »

Recently got Brit Box and although there are plenty new shows that are worth watching there is a huge back catalogue of programs from my childhood and for the most part most of them really wasn't that good.
Grange Hill, Crossroads, Brookside and Doctor Who were all pretty rubbish, acting and quality of images and special effects.
Although The Goodies still made me laugh.
I was wondering if its just me or was the 70s more shit than I remembered it?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Philip A
Kiloposter

Re: Nostalgia Isn't What It Used To Be

Post by Philip A »

I think people’s attitudes were different back then. Some people who liked shows in the 2010s will look back in 40 years and think they were actually terrible.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Philip A wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:50 pm I think people’s attitudes were different back then. Some people who liked shows in the 2010s will look back in 40 years and think they were actually terrible.
Not sure about dramas as I think we are in a golden period of small screen quality shows, albeit mainly on streaming platforms.
But music nowadays is largely terrible as is light entertainment and sit coms
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Disagree about Grange Hill, I've been watching the very early series recently and am impressed by the writing - realism, humour and the absence of anything preachy.

I'm surprised they didn't bother doing re-takes whenever someone fluffed their lines though.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:30 pm Disagree about Grange Hill, I've been watching the very early series recently and am impressed by the writing - realism, humour and the absence of anything preachy.

I'm surprised they didn't bother doing re-takes whenever someone fluffed their lines though.
It was more the quality of the acting rather than the story lines, Phil Redmond is very good.

I think the worst has to be Crossroads which regularly got 15 million viewers, one Christmas episode consisted of nothing but a church service that was basically Songs of Praise with actors in the audience.
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

I'm much younger than most you folks, but I think dramas and soaps have improved over the years and most of the older ones are remembered through rose-tinted spectacles, comedy was probably funnier back then though, and I think light entertainment/gameshows have stayed roughly the same- although there are too many trashy reality shows about now like TOWIE, Geordie Shore and Love Island (shudder).

Music nowadays is certainly NOWHERE NEAR as good as it was back in the 70s and 80s. There is some good music if you look hard for it, but back then you didn't have to- it was just there. The good thing about the present day era however is that with streaming and YouTube, you can listen to classic songs whenever you want.