Cyclists. Love Em Or Hate Em?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Cyclists. Love Em Or Hate Em?

Post by Marc Meakin »

I am not a fan of cyclists who hog the middle of the road. but the highway code will make this the norm now.
Not sure if it will be safer for them though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Re: Cyclists. Love Em Or Hate Em?

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:48 am I am not a fan of cyclists who hog the middle of the road. but the highway code will make this the norm now.
Not sure if it will be safer for them though
Highway code does not make this the norm. It points out that there are times when that is the safest position for a cyclist to ride. It always has been the case - John Francklin's cyclecraft has been a go to book for years, and suggests the defensive cycling that is now in the Highway code. On a narrow country lane where you can't see round the next bend, it's not safe for you to overtake me. Approaching a busy junction, it's not safe for you to overtake me. If I ride in the centre of the lane, then you're not going to try. Hopefully now you won't also be tooting your horn and shouting "Get over!".

The relevant bit is:

"Cyclists should make themselves as visible as possible by riding in the centre of lanes on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions. They should also keep at least 0.5m from the kerb side on busy roads and should leave 1m when passing a parked car."
Last edited by Fiona T on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In response to the thread title, you shouldn't hate cyclists. It's a much better form of transport for short journeys than driving, but the road infrastructure makes it not practical or safe in many cases. Ideally, bikes shouldn't have to share the same bit of road with cars at all. In the Netherlands, on many roads they have a physical separation between the cycle lane and the car lane, not just some stupid painted section of the road that will randomly end at some point.

Bikes > cars
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pm In response to the thread title, you shouldn't hate cyclists. It's a much better form of transport for short journeys than driving, but the road infrastructure makes it not practical or safe in many cases. Ideally, bikes shouldn't have to share the same bit of road with cars at all. In the Netherlands, on many roads they have a physical separation between the cycle lane and the car lane, not just some stupid painted section of the road that will randomly end at some point.

Bikes > cars
Only hate em if you are stuck behind one hogging the middle of, a road making passing impossible.
Whilst I agree that on a narrow road or a blind bind hogging is best I even walk down country lanes in the middle of the road where necessary, but some cyclists, only a few mind, are intent on winding up drivers.
I only really noticed this during the first lockdown when people realised that cycling was encouraged and car driving banned except essential journeys.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:04 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pm In response to the thread title, you shouldn't hate cyclists. It's a much better form of transport for short journeys than driving, but the road infrastructure makes it not practical or safe in many cases. Ideally, bikes shouldn't have to share the same bit of road with cars at all. In the Netherlands, on many roads they have a physical separation between the cycle lane and the car lane, not just some stupid painted section of the road that will randomly end at some point.

Bikes > cars
Only hate em if you are stuck behind one hogging the middle of, a road making passing impossible.
Whilst I agree that on a narrow road or a blind bind hogging is best I even walk down country lanes in the middle of the road where necessary, but some cyclists, only a few mind, are intent on winding up drivers.
I only really noticed this during the first lockdown when people realised that cycling was encouraged and car driving banned except essential journeys.
Yeah, I mean you can get annoying people on all forms of transport. But don't get me started on horse riders.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:04 pm

Bikes > cars
Like anything, there are some inconsiderate people who cycle. However, as a class of road users, they are so hugely more vulnerable than drivers that all rules and guidelines should absolutely prioritize their safety over avoiding inconvenience for drivers. Preventing dicey overtaking manoeuvres by occupying the middle of the available space is safer for the cyclist, and should be encouraged for cyclists and tolerated by drivers.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

This dude shouldn't be let anywhere near a, bike
https://simoncowellonline.com/simon-cow ... -accident/