Hybrid Scrabble or Scrountdown

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Hybrid Scrabble or Scrountdown

Post by Marc Meakin »

I was trying to come up with the best version of Scrabble that incorporates the best elements of Countdown too.
So far I have come up with.
1. Using the OED as the source dictionary
2. Picking tiles from seperated vowel and consonant bags.
3. 30 seconds per move

I was wondering if 9 tiles on a rack would be better than 7 but that might make a bonus (ie using all your letters) much more difficult.

I'm looking for sensible ideas and also whether people on here would be interesting in playing in a proposed festival of Countdown and Scrabble that I want to organise when Covid is a distant memory.
Including versions of Countdown using CSW (including blank tiles)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Hybrid Scrabble or Scrountdown

Post by Mark James »

This is a cool idea. You could actually make two different games. Yours seems to be Scrabble with countdown elements. You could also do Countdown with scrabble elements, like regular countdown but with the letter points from scrabble. You get points for the length of the word plus the letter values.

I have other ideas for how to incorporate things like double word or triple letter scores but it's hard to describe in writing. I need a visual aid.

But yes. More ideas to get Scrountdown and Countabble off the ground.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

You could have another set of cards saying double letter etc that you take out after 3 letters say
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Multiplying any score by the number of tiles placed would go a long way to balancing the tyranny of high-scoring short word plays.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:07 pm Multiplying any score by the number of tiles placed would go a long way to balancing the tyranny of high-scoring short word plays.
You wouldn't need a 50 point bonus with that innovation
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Mark James wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:24 am This is a cool idea. You could actually make two different games. Yours seems to be Scrabble with countdown elements. You could also do Countdown with scrabble elements, like regular countdown but with the letter points from scrabble. You get points for the length of the word plus the letter values.

I have other ideas for how to incorporate things like double word or triple letter scores but it's hard to describe in writing. I need a visual aid.

But yes. More ideas to get Scrountdown and Countabble off the ground.
And if you like, you could include an option to exchange letters like in Scrabble. I guess it would be done electronically, with a UI to select letters to exchange and having the new letters come up while the clock is running. But just like in Scrabble, exchanging letters would constitute your turn, thus rendering the feature useless but merely there to catch out anybody who forgets this fact.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Had a go at this - have fun folks!

https://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=3913