Countdown in Braintree (Saturday 13th November 2021)

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Countdown in Braintree (Saturday 13th November 2021)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This is an unofficial thread as I'm not the organiser. I will quote from the Facebook page.
FOCAL Countdown returns to the delightful market town of Braintree on Saturday 13th November. Hosted by Braintree’s answer to “Jeff & Rachel”, Jeff Clayton and Rachel Perkins will host this tournament in the main hall at Church House, next to St Michael's Church.

If you’re coming by car, chargeable parking is available nearby at the railway station (CM7 3QL - £2.50 for 24 hours from 07:00) which offers the best value. Alternatively, use the George Yard Shopping Centre multi-storey (CM7 1GF - £6.00, locked at 19:30). Allow 10 minutes to walk to/from either.
Braintree has a direct, hourly rail service from London Liverpool Street, then it’s a short walk uphill to Church House. Super off-peak discounted fares are usually available from Abellio Greater Anglia on Saturdays. We would recommend the 09:47 from London Liverpool Street (10:34 from Witham), arriving into Braintree at 10:50.

If you’re coming from the Midlands, the North, or even further afield, there’s an hourly bus 133 to/from Stansted Airport which stops nearby in the town centre.

Doors open from 10:30 and you can enjoy a hot or cold drink from the kitchen before we get underway at 11:15. Everyone is welcome! After introductions, we’ll generate a random draw for the first round matches.

We’ll be using what’s called the Lincoln format – three players to a table, each with a set of the board game. One adjudicates while the other two play, and everyone rotates. So, you’ll play two matches and host one at a table, and you’ll visit three tables over the course of the day.
All matches will consists of nine rounds — six letters games, two numbers games and a conundrum (LLLNLLLNC) and each player takes turns to pick the selections.

We’ll stop for lunch after Round 1 towards 12:45 — you are welcome to bring and eat your own lunch, or take a stroll into the town centre to buy something. The Saturday market should also be in full flow down towards the Town Hall — all a short walk away.
There’ll be another short break after Round 2 towards 14:45, then again after Round 3 at 16:30. Sometime towards 17:00, the two highest performing contestants will contest a Grand Final in front of our captive audience to decide the overall winner.

The Grand Final will be a longer match — 14 rounds, consisting of eight letters games, four numbers games and two conundrums (LLNLLNCLLNLLNC). We’ll be playing the game much like you would see on TV, so it’s sure to be a great spectacle to round off the contest.

You can book your place with host Jeff using PayPal (jeff@focalcountdown.co.uk) — £10 for an individual booking. If you wish to book a larger group, please email Jeff to discuss rates.

Please remember to select the “family/friends” option, as your contribution is voluntary to help cover Jeff’s personal costs of organising the event. Once all reasonable expenses have been met, the surplus will be donated to St. Michael’s Church.

In the evening, Jeff will arrange a group booking at a curry house in the town centre for 19:30. Interested? Let Jeff know if you want a seat at the table!

Staying over? Why not make a weekend of it — there is a selection of farmhouses and old inns offering accommodation in the countryside around Braintree, as well as two Premier Inns and a Holiday Inn Express all just out of town off the A120. Parking is free at all of these larger name hotels, though we would recommend arranging taxis to get to/from the town centre if you’re not coming by car.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Braintree (13th November 2021)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Also:
I have booked tables for dinners on the Friday and Saturday nights:
Fri 12 Nov
Fowler's Farm pub, CM77 8DH (near to the two Premier Inns)
18:30 drinks for 19:15 table
Sat 13 Nov
Merchant Spice Indian restaurant, CM7 3HA (short walk from Church House)
19:30 table.
Who wants in?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Braintree (13th November 2021)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

And the nearest parkrun is Great Notley.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown in Braintree (Saturday 13th November 2021)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If you invite Laddiman, will he be Co:Bra Kai?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Braintree (Saturday 13th November 2021)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I had to look that up, but yeah - he should therefore come.