CO:LON - 9 April 2022

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

CO:LON - 9 April 2022

Post by Fiona T »

After a frustrating two years absence, CO:LON is back in the FOCAL Calendar for 9 April 2022, hosted by George Armstrong and Fiona Titcombe.

With a new venue, it promises to be BIGGER and BETTER than ever!

Where is it?

Common Room (North Building)
King Solomon Academy
Penfold Street
London
NW1 6RX
Map

It's a five minute walk from Edgware Road tube station, or a 15 minute walk from Paddington.

The venue is wheelchair accessible

What will I be doing?

You will play six 9-round games of Countdown in the 'Lincoln' style of tournament. After six games, the top two players will face each other in the grand final.
The first round is drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the second and third rounds you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The aim is to have fun, and there will be plenty of prizes on offer.

What about lunch?

Bring a packed lunch, or there's a Gregg's round the corner, as well as other local shops. Tea and coffee will be provided throughout the day at the venue.

And after?

We intend to sort out a group meal for those who are interested on Saturday night. More details soon. Let us know if you're likely to want to join in, so we have an idea of numbers.
Depending on interest, we may try and arrange an Escape Room or similar activity for Sunday morning.

Where can I stay?

There are plenty of hotels across London - Premier Inn and Travelodge are usually relatively affordable, comfortable and clean. Booking early usually secures the best price, so get booked as soon as you can. If you need help, talk to us.

I'm in - what do I do?

The entry fee is still only £10. We would prefer you to pay via paypal https://www.paypal.me/FionaTitcombe/10GBP. If you can't pay via paypal, then please contact George or Fiona to make alternative arrangements.
Under 18s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Any questions, please contact George or Fiona, and we'll do our best to help.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Approximate Timings:

10:15: Doors open
10:45: First round draw is made - please try and arrive by 10:45
11:00: First round commences
12:15: Lunch break
13:15: Second round commences
14:30: Third round commences
16:00: Grand final
16:45: Prizegiving
17:00: Clear up
17:30: Close

facebook event page

Confirmed attendees (55):

James Robinson
Darren Godfrey
Dave Robjohns
Joseph Bartram
Jack Hurst
Callum Todd
Ruth Cappleman
Tom Cappleman
Rachael Montgomery
Matthew S Rutherford
Phil Stanton
Maria Chandler
Bradley Horrocks
Rob Foster
James Burley
Adam Latchford
Coral Heath
Thomas Carey
Graeme Cole
Josh Boddy
Toby Pereira
Mike Lee
David Hilton
Matthew Brockwell
Jonathan Dyke
Sam Prouse
Fi Thorne
Rhys Benjamin
Matthew Tassier
Lynne Cumberland
Andres Sanchez
Gabriela Hines
Sandie Simonis
Tim Hebbes
Max Benkel
Ellen Harrison
Steven Grady
Sean Fletcher
Ashwin Abinashi
Chris Marshall
Martin Thomas
Conor Travers
Vicci Smith
Dan Byrom
Stephen Holford
Adrian Fletcher
Ahmed Mohamed
Jose Manuel Zumoza
Ronan Higginson
Oli Garner
James Wilson
Andy Myerson
SJ
Peter Clarke
Dan Spinks
Last edited by Fiona T on Tue May 03, 2022 7:55 am, edited 63 times in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: CO:LON - 9 April 2022

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Exciting times.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Very. Plenty of parkrun choices nearby too. Burgess again?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:23 pm Very. Plenty of parkrun choices nearby too. Burgess again?
I'll have a look at the options, and recommend you do the same using this (if you're not already aware of it, which you should be).

Edit - I think this should work (go to options to take out the juniors).
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Wasn't aware of that tool; good stuff. Burgess not as close as I thought it looked, compared to others. I'll do whichever.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

If it's OK with you, I will turn up late, not play, get in the way, offer to help only after it's slightly too late to do so, and then talk about myself for hours in the pub afterwards.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 am If it's OK with you, I will turn up late, not play, get in the way, offer to help only after it's slightly too late to do so, and then talk about myself for hours in the pub afterwards.
Sounds perfect :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 am If it's OK with you, I will turn up late, not play, get in the way, offer to help only after it's slightly too late to do so, and then talk about myself for hours in the pub afterwards.
Will you also be calling everybody Champ?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Only if they deserve it, Jack.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:17 pm
Callum Todd wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:23 pm Very. Plenty of parkrun choices nearby too. Burgess again?
I'll have a look at the options, and recommend you do the same using this (if you're not already aware of it, which you should be).

It seems that Hampstead Heath is the closest to the venue, but it's 539th (out of 692) in The List. Wormwood Scrubs is next closest but it's 598th! Third closest is Highbury Fields but we did that at a previous COLON, so I'd rather go somewhere new. I think it makes sense to keep it close anyway (with people coming from all directions what's on the way for some people will be the opposite for others), and being a fast course isn't really that important. So I'd say Hampstead Heath or Wormwood Scrubs are probably the best. One advantage of Wormwood is being near the Central Line.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Is Jeremy Slaney coming? (to Colon)
dan spinks

Post by dan spinks »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:29 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:17 pm

It seems that Hampstead Heath is the closest to the venue, but it's 539th (out of 692) in The List. Wormwood Scrubs is next closest but it's 598th! Third closest is Highbury Fields but we did that at a previous COLON, so I'd rather go somewhere new. I think it makes sense to keep it close anyway (with people coming from all directions what's on the way for some people will be the opposite for others), and being a fast course isn't really that important. So I'd say Hampstead Heath or Wormwood Scrubs are probably the best. One advantage of Wormwood is being near the Central Line.
'The list' is somewhat misleading here. The Scrubs' rating is massively skewed by the fact that in winter it's essentially run on a swamp. In April there's every chance it's a flat, dry run on grass. Plus it's now on a completely new course as of last month

HH has several courses so you don't know whether you're going to get the hilly one or the really hilly one

The Scrubs (assuming a return to normality) has toilets, changing facilities and refreshments, HH has woods
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good information, thanks.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Given the huge interest in this event, we've contacted the venue and have switched to a larger space - so the event will now be in the Common Room rather than the Main Hall.

This should allow us to accommodate 90 players comfortably!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:51 am Given the huge interest in this event, we've contacted the venue and have switched to a larger space - so the event will now be in the Common Room rather than the Main Hall.

This should allow us to accommodate 90 players comfortably!
Seems weird that the “Main” Hall has a smaller capacity than the “Common” Room…😛😛😛
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

40 sign-ups with five months to go! Shaping up nicely!
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Fancy making a weekend of it and need somewhere to stay? A few of us have booked into the London Central Marylebone Travelodge. Just a 5 minute walk from the venue, with a Tesco Express and Gregg's in the vicinity for all your needs! 😃 Current pricing is around £130 for a double room for the weekend, great deal if you can find a sharing buddy 🙂

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/312 ... bone-hotel
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Booked the 'bone for Saturday night, but prices going up already - probs best to book sooner rather than later!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

We've booked Pizza Express in Baker Street for 30 people after Co:Lon. Please let us know ASAP if you're intending to join us for the meal.

Menus (including their vegan range) can be found on the website

https://www.pizzaexpress.com/baker-street
George Armstrong
Rookie

Ok so we've hit 30 already... Please let us know if you're still interested. We're gonna try and get the booking increased 🙂
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Good news - the dinner booking has been increased to 50, so should be enough to accommodate everyone who wants to join us
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

In agreement with Fiona, I have arranged the Sunday morning activity and after a vote on the CO:LON Facebook page, it has been decided that we’re going to do….

THE CRYSTAL MAZE EXPERIENCE💎💎💎

So, we need numbers on who would be interested in doing this on the Sunday morning.

The current slots that are available to us are:
8:30-9
9:30-10
10-10:30
10:30-11
11-11:30
11:30-12

We are aiming at the 9:30-10 or 10-10:30, with some people having trains home to catch.

The cost is £66 per person, and it takes around an hour and a half to do the maze.

It is located on 22-32 Shaftesbury Avenue, London W1D 7EU, right near Piccadilly Circus, right in the heart of the West End.

Looking at the amount of people who were interested, I think we now need to get a serious idea of how many people want to come.😎

You go round in teams of 8, so if we can get a multiple of 8, then we can guarantee that we’d be altogether and not mixed with random strangers.👍

If we can have interested say so below, and also which times you’d prefer. These ones are the ones before noon. If you could say which is your preference, then we’ll focus on that. The whole thing lasts around an hour and a half or so, if memory serves.

So, can everyone who is interested say so, and I’ll get booking as soon as we have a better idea on numbers, as I intend to book it by this time next week.😎😎😎💎💎💎
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

We now have one full team of 8. If anyone else is interested, please say ASAP, so we can get it all booked by this weekend.👍👍👍💎💎💎
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:44 pm We now have one full team of 8. If anyone else is interested, please say ASAP, so we can get it all booked by this weekend.👍👍👍💎💎💎
Hey all,

We’re still only at 8 people for The Crystal Maze on the Sunday morning.

If there’s no other interest, I’ll possibly get the ball in motion to get it booked either on Friday or Saturday.

If anyone else is interested, please let me know ASAP.👍👍👍💎💎💎
George Armstrong
Rookie

Pizza Express have just released their new menu and would like to know what we all want. They'd like to know your starter and main options, but drinks, desserts etc can be chosen on the day. If you've put yourself down for the meal, drop myself or Fiona a message with your choices. If you're planning on coming to the meal but haven't signed up for the countdown event, it'd be a big help to know your plans so we can make sure we can definitely accommodate everyone. Thanks 🙂
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's getting quite close now, so based on what Dan Spinks said above, is Wormwood Scrubs the parkrun we should go for? Dan mentioned toilets but there's no mention on under the "facilities" section and this ancient blog post from 2016 says they might not be available before the start. Well, as long as I don't need a shit I should be able to do what needs to be done easily enough.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

On the Friday night I'm off to Bloomsbury Theatre for a comedy night because the guy who did the YouTube video we discussed on the pig heart man thread is doing a bit of stand-up there. I've seen quite a lot of his stuff and find him really entertaining so when I found out he's doing a comedy set on the night I happen to be in London, and it's within a half hour walk of my hotel, I couldn't say no. Having had a closer look at the event description it seems that all the entertainment on that night will centre around geeky/mathsy/statisticky stuff so it might appeal to a few others. See first link in this post for more info if anyone else is interested; tickets still available.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 pm It's getting quite close now, so based on what Dan Spinks said above, is Wormwood Scrubs the parkrun we should go for? Dan mentioned toilets but there's no mention on under the "facilities" section and this ancient blog post from 2016 says they might not be available before the start. Well, as long as I don't need a shit I should be able to do what needs to be done easily enough.
Looks like a yes since Fiona put it in the Strava group.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Last edited by Fiona T on Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

You are going to think I am bonkers for wanting to know this level of detail. What font will you use for the conundrum printouts?

Sounds mad, but i was so not used to the font used at Co:Lin that i wish I gave myself a bit of time to practise with it...
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

JackHurst wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 pm You are going to think I am bonkers for wanting to know this level of detail. What font will you use for the conundrum printouts?

Sounds mad, but i was so not used to the font used at Co:Lin that i wish I gave myself a bit of time to practise with it...
Understandable - those Big Ben trophies are awesome! :mrgreen:

They're all 9 letter conundrums.

Thought we'd go with Windings to make it a bit more challenging. ;)

All printed - they're the default used by Graeme's conundrum printing thingy - Inconsolata Bold, 36pt, 0.08em letter spacing - will PM you a sample :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

FINALLY decided to get an account on here, so stoked to meet you all in London!
One of da 'Muricans
dan spinks

Post by dan spinks »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 pm It's getting quite close now, so based on what Dan Spinks said above, is Wormwood Scrubs the parkrun we should go for? Dan mentioned toilets but there's no mention on under the "facilities" section and this ancient blog post from 2016 says they might not be available before the start. Well, as long as I don't need a shit I should be able to do what needs to be done easily enough.
I don't know if the toilets are open but the attached clubhouse (where they serve up drinks and snacks) definitely is so it's likely. If not then for anyone who's absolutely desperate you could sneak into the next door hospital, or, if feeling brave scale the prison walls
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Morning folks, just a couple of points before the weekend:

Thankfully this year there's no major Tube action affecting us. I've attached an image at the bottom of how to get to us from all the major London train stations, but if you do get lost, please get in touch. The nearest Tube station is Edgware Road. Please bear in mind there is an Extinction Rebellion rally planned in Hyde Park on Saturday, so you may want to factor that into your arrival time.

On another note, the venue has a sign in and sign out policy. Basically this means just bring lunch with you so you don't have to faff around 🙂 . You'll need to press the buzzer at the gate when you arrive.

If anyone has any questions, please ask us. See you all Saturday!

(Posting on behalf of George!)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Coronavirus...

Although the government have relaxed their guidance on coronavirus, we're very aware that it's very much in circulation. If you are able to do a LFT before attending, please do so, and please do not attend if you have Coronavirus symptoms, or test positive. We will provide handgel at the venue which you're encouraged to use, and if you want to wear a mask, of course you are welcome to do so. Please be aware that others may be less comfortable in a busy environment and respect people's personal space.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Did someone say final standings and game results? :D

P W Pts
1 Rob Foster 6 6 443
2 Conor Travers 6 5 393
3 Ahmed Mohamed 6 5 387
4 Ronan Higginson 6 5 374
5 Oliver Garner 6 5 363
6 James Robinson 6 5 340
7 Darren Godfrey 6 5 325
8 Dave Robjohns 6 5 322
9 Callum Todd 6 4 376
10 Jack Hurst 6 4 374
11 Matthew Brockwell 6 4 372
12 Martin Thomas 6 4 357
13 Thomas Carey 6 4 354
14 Tom Cappleman 6 4 351
15 James Burley 6 4 333
16 Mike Lee 6 4 316
17 Andres Sanchez 6 4 295
18 Peter Clarke 6 4 289
19 Matthew S Rutherford 6 4 272
20 Ashwin Abinashi 6 4 269
21 Tim Hebbes 6 3 358
22 Bradley Horrocks 6 3 352
22 Dan Byrom 6 3 352
24 Graeme Cole 6 3 347
25 Sam Prouse 6 3 314
26 Rachael Montgomery 6 3 299
27 Steven Grady 6 3 297
28 David Hilton 6 3 292
29 Stephen Holford 6 3 289
30 Ruth Cappleman 6 3 273
31 Coral Heath 6 3 261
32 Maria Chandler 6 3 260
33 Sandie Simonis 6 3 252
34 Josh Boddy 6 2 339
35 Matthew Tassier 6 2 296
36 Adam Latchford 6 2 276
37 Phil Stanton 6 2 274
38 Adrian Fletcher 6 2 259
38 Rhys Benjamin 6 2 259
40 James Wilson 6 2 252
41 Chris Marshall 6 2 242
42 Sean Fletcher 6 2 238
43 Lynne Cumberland 6 2 233
44 Toby Pereira 6 2 232
45 Dan Spinks 6 2 223
46 S J 6 2 184
47 Max Benkel 6 2 169
48 Ellen Harrison 6 2 159
49 Andy Myerson 6 1 267
50 Joseph Bartram 6 1 265
51 Vicci Smith 6 1 245
52 Fi Thorne 6 1 222
53 Marylebone Prune 6 0 0
53 Paddington Prune 6 0 0

RESULTS

Round 1

Table 1
Oliver Garner 60 - 17 Rhys Benjamin
Rhys Benjamin 29 - 60 Ronan Higginson
Ronan Higginson 49 - 51 Oliver Garner

Table 2
Sam Prouse 64 - 81 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 50 - 57 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 70 - 39 Sam Prouse

Table 3
S J 24 - 53 David Hilton
David Hilton 38 - 51 Stephen Holford
Stephen Holford 63 - 16 S J

Table 4
Peter Clarke 39 - 28 Ruth Cappleman
Ruth Cappleman 17 - 72 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 73 - 33 Peter Clarke

Table 5
Vicci Smith 37 - 60 Adam Latchford
Adam Latchford 64 - 41 James Wilson
James Wilson 51 - 24 Vicci Smith

Table 6
Graeme Cole 56 - 59 Dave Robjohns
Dave Robjohns 56 - 46 Martin Thomas
Martin Thomas 50 - 44 Graeme Cole

Table 7
Dan Byrom 66 - 63 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 60 - 55 Josh Boddy
Josh Boddy 55 - 70 Dan Byrom

Table 8
Marylebone Prune 0 - 64 Coral Heath
Coral Heath 31 - 51 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 63 - 0 Marylebone Prune

Table 9
Fi Thorne 36 -*46 Maria Chandler
Maria Chandler 67 - 46 Andy Myerson
Andy Myerson 39 - 46 Fi Thorne

Table 10
Chris Marshall 48 - 73 Tom Cappleman
Tom Cappleman 37 - 56 Ahmed Mohamed
Ahmed Mohamed 70 - 26 Chris Marshall

Table 11
Darren Godfrey 66 - 16 Max Benkel
Max Benkel 19 - 67 Matthew Tassier
Matthew Tassier 43 - 44 Darren Godfrey

Table 12
Lynne Cumberland 42 - 66 Steven Grady
Steven Grady 42 - 56 James Burley
James Burley 73 - 37 Lynne Cumberland

Table 13
James Robinson 42 - 23 Mike Lee
Mike Lee 42 - 38 Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez 40 - 65 James Robinson

Table 14
Ashwin Abinashi 58 - 47 Adrian Fletcher
Adrian Fletcher 33 - 71 Joseph Bartram
Joseph Bartram 45 - 50 Ashwin Abinashi

Table 15
Rob Foster 60 - 27 Sean Fletcher
Sean Fletcher 47 - 50 Rachael Montgomery
Rachael Montgomery 17 - 95 Rob Foster

Table 16
Sandie Simonis 54 - 51 Toby Pereira
Toby Pereira 23 - 63 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 64 - 32 Sandie Simonis

Table 17
Matthew S Rutherford 52 - 38 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 16 - 56 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 68 - 30 Matthew S Rutherford

Table 18
Ellen Harrison 16 - 73 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 72 - 0 Paddington Prune
Paddington Prune 0 - 29 Ellen Harrison

Round 2

Table 1
Callum Todd 66 - 43 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 57 - 83 Rob Foster
Rob Foster 74 - 48 Callum Todd

Table 2
James Burley 19 - 73 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 49 - 57 Dan Byrom
Dan Byrom 36 - 42 James Burley

Table 3
Ahmed Mohamed 72 - 41 Adam Latchford
Adam Latchford 37 - 71 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 50 - 63 Ahmed Mohamed

Table 4
Dave Robjohns 63 - 37 Phil Stanton
Phil Stanton 47 - 75 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 54 - 25 Dave Robjohns

Table 5
Oliver Garner 66 - 36 Darren Godfrey
Darren Godfrey 71 - 40 Stephen Holford
Stephen Holford 38 - 67 Oliver Garner

Table 6
James Robinson 81 - 48 Maria Chandler
Maria Chandler 39 - 37 Ashwin Abinashi
Ashwin Abinashi 23 - 51 James Robinson

Table 7
Matthew Brockwell 74 - 50 Joseph Bartram
Joseph Bartram 48 - 69 Tim Hebbes
Tim Hebbes 58 - 67 Matthew Brockwell

Table 8
Tom Cappleman 70 - 80 Ronan Higginson
Ronan Higginson 66 - 48 Matthew Tassier
Matthew Tassier 29 - 56 Tom Cappleman

Table 9
Martin Thomas 73 - 39 Coral Heath
Coral Heath 42 - 50 Steven Grady
Steven Grady 44 - 61 Martin Thomas

Table 10
Matthew S Rutherford 43 - 70 Peter Clarke
Peter Clarke 62 - 29 Fi Thorne
Fi Thorne 31 - 54 Matthew S Rutherford

Table 11
Mike Lee 69 - 23 Ellen Harrison
Ellen Harrison 32 - 65 Rachael Montgomery
Rachael Montgomery 61 - 51 Mike Lee

Table 12
Sam Prouse 58 - 56 Graeme Cole
Graeme Cole 72 - 55 Josh Boddy
Josh Boddy 41 - 57 Sam Prouse

Table 13
Adrian Fletcher 49 - 23 Lynne Cumberland
Lynne Cumberland 38 - 57 Andy Myerson
Andy Myerson 43 - 54 Adrian Fletcher

Table 14
Sean Fletcher 38 - 35 Toby Pereira
Toby Pereira 43 - 39 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 56 - 39 Sean Fletcher

Table 15
Vicci Smith 46 - 50 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 29 - 52 Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez 63 - 36 Vicci Smith

Table 16
David Hilton 62 - 17 Sandie Simonis
Sandie Simonis 36 - 51 James Wilson
James Wilson 48 - 61 David Hilton

Table 17
Ruth Cappleman 66 - 0 Marylebone Prune
Marylebone Prune 0 - 68 Rhys Benjamin
Rhys Benjamin 43 - 65 Ruth Cappleman

Table 18
Max Benkel 40 - 0 Paddington Prune
Paddington Prune 0 - 33 S J
S J 44 - 29 Max Benkel

Round 3

Table 1
Ahmed Mohamed 72 - 62 Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey 39 - 71 Rob Foster
Rob Foster 60 - 54 Ahmed Mohamed

Table 2
James Robinson 58 - 39 Matthew Brockwell
Matthew Brockwell 69 - 51 Oliver Garner
Oliver Garner 68 - 43 James Robinson

Table 3
Ronan Higginson 59 - 48 Bradley Horrocks
Bradley Horrocks 55 - 65 Callum Todd
Callum Todd 52 - 60 Ronan Higginson

Table 4
Martin Thomas 68 - 65 Dan Byrom
Dan Byrom 58 -*68 Conor Travers
Conor Travers 87 - 59 Martin Thomas

Table 5
David Hilton 36 - 43 Peter Clarke
Peter Clarke 42 - 54 Darren Godfrey
Darren Godfrey 54 - 42 David Hilton

Table 6
Rachael Montgomery 62 - 82 James Burley
James Burley 61 - 71 Dave Robjohns
Dave Robjohns 48 - 44 Rachael Montgomery

Table 7
Tim Hebbes 46 - 61 Jack Hurst
Jack Hurst 68 - 37 Maria Chandler
Maria Chandler 33 - 54 Tim Hebbes

Table 8
Sam Prouse 51 - 47 Adam Latchford
Adam Latchford 27 - 57 Tom Cappleman
Tom Cappleman 58 - 45 Sam Prouse

Table 9
Phil Stanton 43 - 58 Andres Sanchez
Andres Sanchez 44 - 42 Steven Grady
Steven Grady 53 - 33 Phil Stanton

Table 10
James Wilson 23 - 65 Mike Lee
Mike Lee 66 - 36 Stephen Holford
Stephen Holford 61 - 38 James Wilson

Table 11
Matthew S Rutherford 52 - 45 Ruth Cappleman
Ruth Cappleman 52 - 42 Adrian Fletcher
Adrian Fletcher 34 - 41 Matthew S Rutherford

Table 12
Toby Pereira 45 - 39 S J
S J 28 - 65 Ashwin Abinashi
Ashwin Abinashi 36 - 35 Toby Pereira

Table 13
Joseph Bartram 28 - 63 Matthew Tassier
Matthew Tassier 46 - 62 Graeme Cole
Graeme Cole 57 - 23 Joseph Bartram

Table 14
Coral Heath 44 - 27 Chris Marshall
Chris Marshall 46 - 41 Andy Myerson
Andy Myerson 41 -*51 Coral Heath

Table 15
Max Benkel 18 - 30 Ellen Harrison
Ellen Harrison 29 - 50 Dan Spinks
Dan Spinks 40 - 47 Max Benkel

Table 16
Fi Thorne 49 - 54 Sandie Simonis
Sandie Simonis 59 - 33 Rhys Benjamin
Rhys Benjamin 69 - 31 Fi Thorne

Table 17
Sean Fletcher 50 - 0 Marylebone Prune
Marylebone Prune 0 - 66 Josh Boddy
Josh Boddy 67 - 37 Sean Fletcher

Table 18
Lynne Cumberland 42 - 0 Paddington Prune
Paddington Prune 0 - 61 Vicci Smith
Vicci Smith 41 - 51 Lynne Cumberland

Final
Rob Foster 107 - 87 Conor Travers
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Really enjoyed it. Thanks to George and Fiona for the great organisation. I've got that weird dancing queen thing I got as a prize sitting on the kitchen window sill at the moment.

Hopefully I didn't catch COVID off any of you. How long does it take for symptoms?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Great event and weekend, thanks to Fiona and George for organising. Was really nice catching up with some of you and getting to know some of you who I haven't talked to much before.

Rob's heat score of 443 has to be close to the record, surely? Jack Worsley has got some pretty big scores in the past I think but Rob's London haul has to be up there.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Wanted to take time to show my thought and write something down in relation to this now that it's all over.

Honestly, where do I begin with this event? Never in my life I'd thought I'd be able to cross this border and meet some of the wonderful people of the community and have such a great time with them. Obviously, a big thank you to Fiona and George for hosting it and thanks to all of my opponents that I've played against: Mike Lee, James Robinson, Dan Spinks, Vicci Smith, Phil Stanton, and Stevie Gee - all you guys were great to play against! I also wanna say congrats to Rob in the final against Conor, felt very fun to host the thing for the first time with James, and honestly I'm still a bit surprised I was able to do it considering my only other time hosting Countdown is with small groups like in voice calls or when recording Team Countdown (I will say I'm always looking for feedback on hosting so if any of you guys have that on hosting feel free to shoot me a message). But regardless, I'm very glad to have met and chatted with you guys in person; if I've ever chatted with you during the event or during the time we went to Tesco/Wetherspoons/Pizza Express, it was very fun and I'm glad we were able to talk regardless if it was just a hey or a 10-minute conversation.

The Crystal Maze was a fun event too, and me unknowingly being vice-captain for it somehow served us really well. First time I've ever done something like this that wasn't an escape room, although not to say I'd never turn one down. And I'm glad you guys enjoyed seeing my sister and cousin (Gabriela and Jose), they were the ones who were also with me and the others at the Crystal Maze and if you caught an eye they were also around at the event at some points, even the final. They were the people I was attached to the hip at for my entire London trip, well mostly my sister but still. They have both told me as well to say thanks for the event.

This whole event was so fun to do and I think it really strengthened a bond with the community, I love you guys and I really hope I can come down again sometime and have some fun. Hope to see you guys in person once more. <3
One of da 'Muricans
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Was great to meet you Andres <3 Really glad you enjoyed your trip. Hopefully we'll see you again at another event in future.