Best and Worst National Flags

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Best and Worst National Flags

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What do you think? Obviously the Union Jack (I'm on a boat - shut up) is an absolute aesthetic abomination, and even more so with its weird asymmetries, and a national embarrassment. I'd also say any flag that is just three colours in stripes is pretty terrible for its lack of imagination. But what are the good ones?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Best and Worst National Flags

Post by Mark James »

I love most flags. Really hard to pick a favourite. Bhutan 🇧🇹 maybe? Even if they are just three stripes of colours I still like them especially if the colour choice is good like Estonia 🇪🇪 or Armenia 🇦🇲. Chad and Romania lose points for being the same 🇷🇴. Worst has to be Indonesia 🇮🇩, Monaco 🇲🇨 and Poland 🇵🇱.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

North Macedonia for the win.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Not a country in the Pointless definition of the word, but Artsakh's flag wins points for looking like it's been invaded by something from an Atari 2600 game.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Canada
Wales
Mexico
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

A couple of sites ranking the flags.

Wales comes top in one of those lists (though obviously it's not a "proper" country being part of the UK) so some agreement with Marc there. That list also has Canada 5th and Mexico 9th.
Dave Robjohns
Rookie

Post by Dave Robjohns »

Seychelles top for me. North Macedonia, Cambodia, Uganda and Saint Lucia probably round off my top 5.

Not so keen on Turkmenistan, Morocco and any that are annoyingly close together (the ones Mark mentioned but also Guinea/Mali, India/Niger, Ireland/IvoryCoast & half the middle east) and Haiti's is naff from a distance. Libya are glad this thread didn't exist 10 years ago.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mozambique, in a kind of dystopian way. Also Spain for going outside the box with its colour choices - pink lion anyone?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

United Kingdom, North Macedonia very good...

... but the correct answer is Central African Republic.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:46 pm United Kingdom...very good
No it isn't. It's terrible on many levels. Didn't you read Gavin's post?
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:35 pmObviously the Union Jack (I'm on a boat - shut up) is an absolute aesthetic abomination, and even more so with its weird asymmetries, and a national embarrassment.
It's become even harder to take seriously in the past couple of years following its risible fetishization by Tory politicians. In every Zoom interview, Tory ministers would appear with bigger and bigger Union Flags behind them. Let's not forget they're appearing in a room in their own house in these interviews. Nobody has a fucking eight foot Union flag in their house! And what, we're supposed to believe that because they have a humongous flag then they must be super-patriotic? Jesus wept. They really must think people are thick as shit.

I'd go further than Gavin, the United Kingdom flag isn't just a national embarrassment, it's a national joke.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I like those idiosyncrasies that Gevin dislikes. Capiche?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Tom S wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm North Macedonia for the win.
Having said that, surprised no one has mentioned that Switzerland'd flag is a big plus...
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tom S wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:50 pm
Tom S wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm North Macedonia for the win.
Having said that, surprised no one has mentioned that Switzerland'd flag is a big plus...
But the blue in the Scottish flag is behind the times.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The Nepalese flag is interesting, if nothing else.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I just came here to post that any flag that has just the three colours of red, white and blue is disqualified for being terribly unoriginal. Unfortunately that takes out the Nepal flag that I posted above. This site lists 29 countries with red, white and blue flags. According to this site, there are over 50 countries and territories.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:04 pm I just came here to post that any flag that has just the three colours of red, white and blue is disqualified for being terribly unoriginal. Unfortunately that takes out the Nepal flag that I posted above. This site lists 29 countries with red, white and blue flags. According to this site, there are over 50 countries and territories.
Also, I would say a flag is better if it has simple patterns and shapes that can be easily reproduced, so something like the Welsh flag, which is generally considered to be one of the better ones, would lose points on this.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Since neither I nor anyone should yield to the self-appointed authority of Gev, I would like an honorable mention for the following, which is not a national flag, but nearly was, coming fourth in the New Zealand flag referendum in 2016. I enjoy its simple majesty and colour contrasts.

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

And on a regional administrative level, I hereby anoint the winner of the world Best County Flag competition to this absolute belter from River Gee County, Liberia.

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark