Tom O'Connor (1939 - 2021)

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Tom O'Connor (1939 - 2021)

Post by Philip A »

It is with great sadness to learn that comedian Tom O'Connor sadly passed away in hospital today, aged 81.

He made 121 appearances in Dictionary Corner on Countdown from 1996 to 2008 and was a clever, funny and popular guest on the programme. He did of course host many game shows including Name That Tune and Crosswits.

RIP Tom. Gone but not forgotten.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Tom O'Connor (1939 - 2021)

Post by Mark Deeks »

My mum applied for Crosswits back when it first started in the mid 1980s. They did not respond to her until 1996, and in the interim, she had moved house twice and not told them the new addresses. It remains one of the world's greatest mysteries how they found her, and, for that matter, why. (She subsequently auditioned unsuccessfully.)
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Re: Tom O'Connor (1939 - 2021)

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Sad news. He was in DC for my first five recordings and really nice to everybody, chatting to contestants quite happily, and circulating after the day's recording finished, to make sure he spoke to everyone.
After one game, we left the studio at the same time, and he said (something like), "I'm really annoyed with that numbers game - they asked on the ear piece if I'd done it, and I wasn't sure so I said no. Then I realised I had done it. I missed this great chance to show I could do it!"

It's nice he was actually joining in, as you get some DC guests who just sit there and get fed answers though the ear piece.

Thanks Tom , you turned a nervous, gibbering wreck into someone who actually enjoyed the experience.