Womanizing

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Womanizing

Post by Charlie Reams »

I believe Britney Spears' song Womanizer is the highest charting record (#3) which is also a valid niner. Amirite?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Important note

Post by Jon Corby »

Are you discounting YESTERDAY as having two Y's and therefore can't come out in a 'normal' round with the current letter distribution (as we know it)'?

Edit: Hmm, it would appear it was never released in this country by The Beatles. But it's been covered 8 billion times. There must have been a song called Yesterday that's got to number 2 or 1...
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

There's a no. 1 UK chart topping single by Britney Spears' arch rival.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gary Male
Enthusiast

Re: Womanizing

Post by Gary Male »

The earliest UK #1 Single that is a valid niner is "Dreamboat" by Alma Colgan, 2 weeks from 15th July 1955. And if I get really bored tomorrow I may go through the rest.
Last edited by Gary Male on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:I believe Britney Spears' song Womanizer is the highest charting record (#3) which is also a valid niner. Amirite?
No. But it is the (to use another valid niner) crappiest.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

When I saw the title of this thread I thought Charlie was making a confession! :lol:
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Perhaps scarily, the best-selling niner of all time appears to be Heartbeat by Steps. :shock:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah but that was only because it was the B track to a much better Steps song which I GYRATED to at school discos
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:a much better Steps song which I GYRATED to at school discos
There are no levels of inherent goodness in Steps songs. Calling one better than the other is a bit like singing the praises of dog shit compared to human faeces.
And no amount of anagrammery will let you off! This is fact as much as opinion. :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Yeah but that was only because it was the B track to a much better Steps song which I GYRATED to at school discos
TRAGEDY!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Since Apterous is sticking various numbers of fingers up at me, I'll trawl through my mp3 collection of all the number ones. You can look up the years yourselves:

Alma Cogan - Dreamboat
Andy Williams - Butterfly
Elvis Presley - Surrender
Fleetwood Mac - Albatross
Steps - Heartbeat
Will Young - Evergreen
Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
McFly - Obviously

Unfortunate words that were disallowed (but are made up of two valid words interestingly): Everytime, Babycakes, Groovejet, Beetlebum and Woodstock.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:a much better Steps song which I GYRATED to at school discos
There are no levels of inherent goodness in Steps songs. Calling one better than the other is a bit like singing the praises of dog shit compared to human faeces.
And no amount of anagrammery will let you off! This is fact as much as opinion. :)
Err..steps are awesome, as are S Club 7. Fact.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:Are you discounting YESTERDAY as having two Y's and therefore can't come out in a 'normal' round with the current letter distribution (as we know it)'?

Edit: Hmm, it would appear it was never released in this country by The Beatles. But it's been covered 8 billion times. There must have been a song called Yesterday that's got to number 2 or 1...
Wrong, it got to about #8 in 1976 :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

During the X Factor, Rhydian Roberts sang Somewhere which I believe is from the the 1961 musical "West Side Story".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:During the X Factor, Rhydian Roberts sang Somewhere which I believe is from the the 1961 musical "West Side Story".
It's from the 1957 musical West Side Story, the film of which was released in 1961.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:During the X Factor, Rhydian Roberts sang Somewhere which I believe is from the the 1961 musical "West Side Story".
It's from the 1957 musical West Side Story, the film of which was released in 1961.
My mistake :oops:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

But can anyone beat Oasis' double 9er- CHAMPAGNE SUPERNOVA?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Brian Whitworth
Rookie

Post by Brian Whitworth »

Duran Duran - Notorious :P
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

For record labels, I came up with MANIFESTO as spotted by Tom Hargreaves circa 2002.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Presumably because I followed a link from this site to that "Leave Britney Alone" video, YouTube now thinks I like Britney and keeps recommending her appalling whiny drivel for me to watch. However, perhaps YouTube has more innate taste and intelligence that I'd previously given it credit for, judging by the strategically positioned truncation of the words "Director's Cut" in the following recommendation:

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Presumably because I followed a link from this site to that "Leave Britney Alone" video, YouTube now thinks I like Britney and keeps recommending her appalling whiny drivel for me to watch. However, perhaps YouTube has more innate taste and intelligence that I'd previously given it credit for, judging by the strategically positioned truncation of the words "Director's Cut" in the following recommendation:

I suspect most men's eyes wouldn't have made it as far as the text underneath. I will refrain from further comment in case I become the subject of a hate campaign on Lesbilicious.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Presumably because I followed a link from this site to that "Leave Britney Alone" video, YouTube now thinks I like Britney and keeps recommending her appalling whiny drivel for me to watch.
Whoops! Was that me? sorry.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Image
I suspect most men's eyes wouldn't have made it as far as the text underneath. I will refrain from further comment in case I become the subject of a hate campaign on Lesbilicious.
You're safe Charlie - surely their eyes wouldn't make it down as far as your comment for the same reason :)