Apterous Prune

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Apterous Prune

Post by Julie T »

I hope this doesn't come across as too whingeing, but Apterous Prune does seem to have been reprogrammed to play better recently.
A while ago it became better at numbers rounds, and now letters rounds.

My moan is partly because I rather liked having a bot that I could definitely beat.
Also though, that, given its new-found abilities, I still lose a heck of a lot of ratings points if I lose against it, but only gain 2 or 3 points if I win.

Charlie, if you don't feel like putting it back how it was, please don't make it so injurous to players' ratings if we lose.
Thanks in anticipation,
Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Apterous Prune

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:A while ago it became better at numbers rounds, and now letters rounds.
Nope.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote:A while ago it became better at numbers rounds, and now letters rounds.
Nope.
Nope he didn't get better? He's certainly better at numbers than he used to be. He used to be little better than a monkey at a typewriter.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Nope.
Nope he didn't get better? He's certainly better at numbers than he used to be. He used to be little better than a monkey at a typewriter.
All the bots have been given an injection of numbers skill to the point there's little difference between Prune and Prime but Charlie assures me this is being reviewed.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Nope he didn't get better? He's certainly better at numbers than he used to be. He used to be little better than a monkey at a typewriter.
The numbers improved nearly 2 months ago, and I've commented on it many times since. The letters have not been changed for a long time.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Nope he didn't get better? He's certainly better at numbers than he used to be. He used to be little better than a monkey at a typewriter.
The numbers improved nearly 2 months ago, and I've commented on it many times since. The letters have not been changed for a long time.
I had a break from Apterous and the forum over Xmas and New Year, as I was too busy at home.
So probably missed the numbers rounds change when it happened.

Surprised to hear that you haven't changed the letters rounds ability. Occasionally I beat Prune like I used to, but often now it comes up with 7s and 8s when before that was usually one or two in a game. As it's now better at numbers than I am, that is a bit of a problem. As definitely is my ratings point now that its probability of winning is enhanced.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've got no problem with Prune getting better. It keeps me on my toes. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've weakened Prune's numbers in the new release. But I pulled the relevant parameters from my posterior, so please let me know what you make of it. Numbers Attacks data would be preferable to one-off "omg he got this one" anecdotes.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've weakened Prune's numbers in the new release. But I pulled the relevant parameters from my posterior, so please let me know what you make of it. Numbers Attacks data would be preferable to one-off "omg he got this one" anecdotes.
Thanks, Charlie! :)
Howard Somerset wrote:I've got no problem with Prune getting better. It keeps me on my toes. :)
Yes, I suppose it is a bit sad to be bothered about my rating.
But it is nice to win occasionally, and there's always the other bots if i want more of a challenge. :mrgreen:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:He's still rather strong
Grr, more tweaking needed then. Cheers for this, though.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:He's still rather strong
Grr, more tweaking needed then. Cheers for this, though.
Yes, I would think so
Gareth Mitchell

Post by Gareth Mitchell »