CoLin filming

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.

Would you like me to video CoLin?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Yes, please rush me 20 copies for friends and family ASAP
11%
Yes, why not
68%
Not bothered
11%
Award ceremony and group shot only, please
No votes
I'd rather you didn't
11%
Home videos are the spawn of Beelzebub, definitely not
No votes

Total votes: 19

Julie T
Kiloposter

CoLin filming

Post by Julie T »

Hi,

After Ben mentioned photos in his last missive about CoLin, I PMd him asking if he'd like me to take a video of the proceedings with my DVD video camera and tripod, and he didn't say no.

My idea is that I set up the tripod where the camera can film most of the room, and change the discs when necessary. Not much more than that, since I'll be competing too.
I'd possibly move it occasionally since it'd probably only pick up the sound from the nearest table.

I'm setting up a vote to hear your views on this. One alternative is that I just film the awards ceremony if more than one or 2 contestants think it would be off-putting to film the games.

Feel free to post comments as well as voting, please only vote if you're actually going to CoLin. Thanks.

P.S. If I do it, and make copies, I'll only charge how much the recordable DVDs cost (not much these days) plus postage.
Last edited by Julie T on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Re: CoLin filming

Post by Peter Mabey »

Please ignore my vote, as I'm not going. ;)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I'd love it, pretty please. I can never justify the expense of attending these events (coming from Ireland) so would love to see just what goes down. .... Is it true about the orgy in a pit of gelatine?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David O'Donnell wrote:I'd love it, pretty please. I can never justify the expense of attending these events (coming from Ireland) so would love to see just what goes down. .... Is it true about the orgy in a pit of gelatine?
Sadly Jim hasn't signed up yet. ;)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David O'Donnell wrote:I'd love it, pretty please. I can never justify the expense of attending these events (coming from Ireland) so would love to see just what goes down. .... Is it true about the orgy in a pit of gelatine?
Oooh, I hope so! :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pity there isn't a puking icon. ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I really hope you do this too.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Similarly, I am all for the idea and it would be much appreciated if you do. :)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I've added my voice to the "Yes, why not" camp. I'd have no objections to anyone wandering around with a camera recording the action, so long as it's done quietly.

I'm unavailable for the orgy though as per usual...
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

It's looking good. 16 votes so far, and all OK with the filming! :)
I'll keep the voting open for a few days though, for those who don't pop onto the forum often.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

There were 17 votes for, and 2 saying they'd rather I didn't film it.

If the 2 against are happy to go with the majority, then that's fine.
I'd be happy to try and avoid their table if they want to PM me though.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hope to be able to check and edit the DVDs in the next day or 2. I'll keep you posted. Should be good! :)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've finalised and reviewed the discs.

Good news: the opening and closing bits from Ben are great, as is the awards ceremony. :)

Bad news: although my son concentrated on one table at the time, the chat is difficult to make out, since there were also 7 other tables of people in an echoey church hall.
Also, it proved impossible to aim the camera to see the letters/numbers without getting in the way. :(

Personally, I still think it's watchable, but some may not think so, so thought I'd warn you.

If I ever did it again, for it to be more watchable, if players didn't think it too intrusive, I think I'd put a specific microphone in the middle of the table being filmed, and work out a way to point the camera down at the table.

Sorry it's not better. We've only filmed am dram stuff and home videos before.

We live and learn! ;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I look forward to seeing it, julie
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yeah, it was a nice thought, and a slightly crap video is no worse than no video at all. Hopefully next time you'll have more success.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks Howard and Charlie! :)

It's my son Robert's 14th birthday today, but I hope to start copying onto DVDs on Sunday.
I'll only do a handful till I know how many want them.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thought I'd give you an update in case you were wondering what was happening with the DVDs:

I've uploaded them onto my computer, but I haven't had to combine lots of discs onto one before.
The free software won't play ball, in that it'll take the video but not the sound.
I've been meaning to buy an editing suite for a while, so I've ordered one, and that should solve the problem.

So, hopefully I should be able to have it sorted by the weekend, fingers crossed. :)