Quizzes/game shows you'd like to see return?

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Quizzes/game shows you'd like to see return?

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Which defunct shows would you like to see return? I'd like to see the return of BrainTeaser (minus the dodgy phone-in comps), 100%, Going For Gold, Knightmare (with updated SFX technology), Catchword, In the Grid (wasn't really given a good run originally), Beat the Teacher (updated for Uni students vs lecturers/teachers), Divided (often vicious and nasty at times but good fun). :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Quizzes/game shows you'd like to see return?

Post by James Robinson »

Beat The Nation, a great foil before Countdown in 2003, I’ve actually just done a pilot for a show which I’d say is a fusion of that, The National IQ Test and 1 vs. 100.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The Weakest Link, but without Robinson. A good format was ruined by her preening and body shaming. Would have been one thing if she was funny. She was not.

Oh, and another vote for 100%. That show ruled.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Bullseye but with Kirk Bevins in place of Tony Green.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Catchword!
I was genuinely sick from school, but had to fake it for two extra days so I could see the rest of the champion's run... I can't remember her name, but she was a very elegant and impressive oul granny whose floccinaucinihilipilification of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis blew my young mind.

Also, I would throw a vote the way of Knightmare, Murphy's Micro Quiz-M, and the Krypton Factor.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 pm Oh, and another vote for 100%. That show ruled.
Who can forget the incredible Ian Lygo on that, unbeaten for 75 shows (a world record for most consecutive wins on a game show I believe) and the crazy decision of the producer who changed the rules so he could get rid of him. There was a news item on him at the time :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQOCsLjYTs
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

100% was cancelled by a commissioner called Kevin Lygo. Wonder if there was some family loyalty act of revenge going on there.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Mark Deeks wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 am 100% was cancelled by a commissioner called Kevin Lygo. Wonder if there was some family loyalty act of revenge going on there.
:lol: They may be brothers, both are around the same age.

A couple of other game shows to mention, Turnabout (good fun game and excellent host back in the day) and UK Jeopardy (they should up the money and give it a prime time slot)
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Quite a few I'd like to see back, but can't see any happening. Trying to list the some of the more obscure ones

Wipeout (original, not Total!)
Going For Gold
Poker Face
The Enemy Within
Number 1
1000 Heartbeats
Winning Lines
Brainteaser (The scandal has passed now, surely it could be resurrected)
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Turnabout!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Shafted (just for a laugh)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Grand Slam? Anyone?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:52 pm Grand Slam? Anyone?
Nice joke.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

I’d like to see Bullseye and Total Wipeout return.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 pm The Weakest Link, but without Robinson. A good format was ruined by her preening and body shaming. Would have been one thing if she was funny. She was not.

Oh, and another vote for 100%. That show ruled.
I liked The Weakest Link?
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Ben Wilson wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 pm Bullseye but with Kirk Bevins in place of Tony Green.
Yeah.
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

I used to enjoy a programme called Crosswits with Tom O'Connor. I thought I remembered watching it after school but when I looked at the transmission dates and times that's impossible -my memory playing tricks on me. It was a contestant and celebrity team solving crossword puzzles and Tom always ended the programme with "never a cross word".
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Bit of a different one, Today's The Day. All questions based around questions in the news on the day of broadcast.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Laverty wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm Bit of a different one, Today's The Day. All questions based around questions in the news on the day of broadcast.
Yeah, I always loved watching that growing up.😄😎👍📅📆
Cath C

Post by Cath C »

I would like to see the return of The Weakest Link and also Total Wipeout (even though Argentina isn’t the safest place to go to film so they’d have to find another place).
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Jayne Wisniewski wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm I used to enjoy a programme called Crosswits with Tom O'Connor. I thought I remembered watching it after school but when I looked at the transmission dates and times that's impossible -my memory playing tricks on me. It was a contestant and celebrity team solving crossword puzzles and Tom always ended the programme with "never a cross word".
I used to enjoy that show also. The two best celebs were John Junkin and Colin Baker, they were superb at it. I recall they had a week where John Junkin was pitted against Colin Baker, Junkin edged the wins if I recall correctly.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Film Buff of the Year, which ran for about 3 years in the 1980s. It was, as the title suggests, a quiz dedicated to films. The breadth of knowledge of the contestants was jaw dropping, and I think it got pulled because it was almost impossible to play along.

Face the Music.(BBC2 1970s and 80s) A quiz show dedicated to classical music, which included a round called Dummy Keyboard, in which the host played a piece of music on a soundless piano, and the guests had to guess what he was playing.

Gentler times. I imagine if they bring them back the contestants will have to be covered in mealworms and cockroaches every time they got an answer wrong.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Paul Worsley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:59 pm Film Buff of the Year, which ran for about 3 years in the 1980s. It was, as the title suggests, a quiz dedicated to films. The breadth of knowledge of the contestants was jaw dropping, and I think it got pulled because it was almost impossible to play along.

Face the Music.(BBC2 1970s and 80s) A quiz show dedicated to classical music, which included a round called Dummy Keyboard, in which the host played a piece of music on a soundless piano, and the guests had to guess what he was playing.

Gentler times. I imagine if they bring them back the contestants will have to be covered in mealworms and cockroaches every time they got an answer wrong.
The late great Robin Ray was host on Film Buff of the Year and a regular panel member on Face the Music.

:lol: Spot on about mealworms etc, nowadays they believe they have to have some silly gimmick to get an audience.

Another show that could be brought back is Sportsmasters. I enjoyed that at the time, here's a reminder of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NluZR8Xf0Bo
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Has anyone here seen Jayne Lynch’s version of the US Weakest Link?
Series 78 Runner-up
Jonathan Willis

Post by Jonathan Willis »

Philip A wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 pm Has anyone here seen Jayne Lynch’s version of the US Weakest Link?
Yes, i watch it all the time as i am in Canada! I can get US TV shows easier than UK ones, put it that way!