Dear me! Please!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Dear me! Please!

Post by Jason Larsen »

After not having Internet access for an entire weekend, I come across a game show news story with the headline, "Rachel No Carol."

Unless you have difficulty learning, the title of this thread means that Rachel Riley has made quite a few mistakes when trying to figure out solutions in the numbers game... and sure enough, she has made many mistakes in her first 15 shows.

Now, letting Rachel go wouldn't be the best thing to do, nor would editing out her mistakes so that no one would be able to see them.

I thought Rachel was a real sweetheart just by reading her reaction to getting the co-host job when the British news reported it. I have also heard that the Countdown crew are "delighted" with both Jeff Stelling and Rachel. Sure, Channel 4 chose Rachel to take Carol's job because they thought she would be eye candy and a wonderful person, but please tell me they didn't expect her to make mistakes!

Has anyone had a chance to talk to Rachel in private about her ability to find numbers solutions after a recent taping of Countdown?

The source of the news story with the headline mentioned above is about halfway down the page on the website, http://www.gameshownewsnet.com.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Re: Dear me! Please!

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Kirk has posted a link to a similarly stupid article from a different tabloid in another thread. Given that the CoC's were filmed over a fortnight ago I wonder what took this crap so long to surface?

In any event, I've been unable to contact Rachel in person for a chat, so I cannot confirm her feelings on the matter.

I'm deriving plenty of amusement at what I perceive as being the media efforts to denounce Carol "national institution" Vorderman's replacement before an episode has been shown, along with the numerous "I won't be watching any more" brigade who can all (quite frankly) fuck off. I have no problem with Carol at all btw, and am sad to see her go, but it's happened. This is just tabloids attempting to sell papers unfortunately. I'm confident the appointment of Jeff alone will attract viewers, that Rachel must've proved her ability during the auditions, and that it's about time Countdown sought to attract new young viewers rather than keep the OAP's happy. In short - 2009 could be Countdown's best year for a long time!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, it's a joke! Good!

I'll tell you what. I'll keep this thread open under one condition. I intend for it to be a debate, as long as it does not become "heated." If it does, I'm locking this thread.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

The article isn't a joke I'm afraid - it's quite serious. In my opinion, the content and context of it are laughable though.

I think you should lock this thread now to be honest. For the sake of my remaining shreds of sanity.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:The article isn't a joke I'm afraid - it's quite serious. In my opinion, the content and context of it are laughable though.

I think you should lock this thread now to be honest. For the sake of my remaining shreds of sanity.
And also because Kirk has posted a link to the article in the Rachel Reily Unveiled thread here :).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can't believe it!

Well, if any of you want to tell me why they like Rachel, you can tell me privately.