Countdown Unlimited

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Countdown Unlimited

Post by Paul Howe »

I'm completely baffled by this. At the start I only had the box to pick a vowel, so I picked 4 vowels and now the pick vowel box is greyed out and I can't seem to do anything!

Can someone explain to this idiot what you're supposed to do?

Edited to say: It's been explained to me you can use each letter as many times as you want, and you have to extend the window to see the pick a consonant button. Apologies if this is explained elsewhere on the forum!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Countdown Unlimited

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Crap format, in my opinion. Although in Apterous terms I think standard-down is pretty crap now. Roll on SpeedGoats.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

If you played unlimited for too long it would probably make you crapper at Countdown overall. It's good for Countdown novices though who always get a cool word but then realise there aren't four Es in the selection or something.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Well I enjoyed the games I played, not sure if it has much staying power though, a few maxes were already repeated after 3 games.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Well I enjoyed the games I played, not sure if it has much staying power though, a few maxes were already repeated after 3 games.
I've noticed that REASSESSES has come up quite a few times.

It's a good format, but the words you learn here won't really appear in normal games, so we should have Unlimited-based tournmanets either online or in person :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:Well I enjoyed the games I played, not sure if it has much staying power though, a few maxes were already repeated after 3 games.
I've noticed that REASSESSES has come up quite a few times.

It's a good format, but the words you learn here won't really appear in normal games, so we should have Unlimited-based tournmanets either online or in person :)
You could have a version where you can use each letter more than once but are still limited to nine-letter words.

Presumably in this format, nines still get 18 points and tens only get 10. :mrgreen: