xmas

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

John Bosley
Enthusiast

xmas

Post by John Bosley »

I do nothing for xmas. Its a waste of time and money and utterly, utterly boring espcially how every programme on tv has to have its xmas special - what bollocks. Anyone agree?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: xmas

Post by Jon Corby »

Didn't you describe yourself as "smiley" when you were trying to promote yourself as a potential DC guest?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Like anything in life, it is what you make of it. You can make it into an awful celebration of consumerism, or you can mope about feeling miserable that everyone else is feeling cheerful. Either way it's you that misses out.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Charlie Reams wrote:Like anything in life, it is what you make of it. You can make it into an awful celebration of consumerism, or you can mope about feeling miserable that everyone else is feeling cheerful. Either way it's you that misses out.
I am misunderstood (again), Charlie. It may be what one makes of it but I make nothing of it. Yes! the consumerism is sickening (and the semi religious stuff is also sickening) but I do not mope about feeling miserable and I do not feel I miss out. I just do not do it. I am dead happy and having as much fun today as yesterday and as I will in the next few days - but not making any big fuss and not doing anything different. As for everyone feeling cheerful - you are to some extext kidding yourself there. Many people are very low at this time of year and at xmas especially - and family stress is at its highest ebb (or is it flo?)

More separations begin right here
that at any other time of year.

©John Bosley
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Jon Corby wrote:Didn't you describe yourself as "smiley" when you were trying to promote yourself as a potential DC guest?
Did I say that? Yes, well I suppose I am smiley.

Anyway, here's a xmas poem - albeit about 15 years old.

merry micmac

away in a manger
silent night
twinkle star
what a sight
shepherds watch
not invented
verging birth
not prevented
joseph blamed
the holy ghost
think on that
over turkey roast
what it would mean
to you and me
if joseph had had
his pack of three

©John Bosley
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Other people are having extra fun this time of year, and you're not. I don't understand why you think you're misunderstood.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

John Bosley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Didn't you describe yourself as "smiley" when you were trying to promote yourself as a potential DC guest?
Did I say that? Yes, well I suppose I am smiley.
Are you a celebrity then? Don't tell me - the dad from Happy Days?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I am pleased to say that I am not any sort of celebrity and rather dislike the word and the use we make of so called celebrities to allegedly brighten up our screens. My post, way back, was a suggestion that one could have complete unknowns as guests in dictionary corner. They would need to pass some sort of bench mark laid down from above and have to pass muster as regards, humour, intelligence (within reason), looks (or not) and have had an interesting life (of sorts). I must have sold myself along these lines, but am surprised to be now quoted.
My point was that to have a non-celeb now and again would break the mould a bit and save us having so many repeated old faces - and it would be measurably cheaper; I would, anyway.
Thinking about this again, I guess I am quite serious. Come on, boss, try me.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mr. Bosley, you must not be that young!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Jason Larsen wrote:Mr. Bosley, you must not be that young!

...but why do you ask or are you really being just a tad humorous?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

John Bosley wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Mr. Bosley, you must not be that young!
...but why do you ask or are you really being just a tad humorous?
Jason normally askes people their ages, if, for example, they haven't mentioned it in their introduction post in the Welcome thread :).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

John Bosley wrote: joseph blamed
the holy ghost
Is this the real reason Bolas hasn't made it back onto the show?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

John, now I understand. Christmas is less fun because you are more financially responsible for yourself as an adult.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Wow. Here we are then. The build up is over and now there's just the day to get through. Hope you all think it was worth the wait.

:twisted:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

John Bosley wrote:Wow. Here we are then. The build up is over and now there's just the day to get through. Hope you all think it was worth the wait.

EDIT: Miser is not a nice word, and I have deleted this post.
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Wow. Here we are then. The build up is over and now there's just the day to get through. Hope you all think it was worth the wait.

john you miser. christmas doesn't last for 1 day- it lasts for 12 days- as a 12 year old i look forward to getting off school for two weeks and eating as much crap as possible
Best of luck to you, Eoin. :) , but as a 12 year old I think you are reading too much Dickens. Yes, Scrooge and his famous 'bah humbug' makes a great story but you should not regard my attitude to xmas as miserly. Many people of different faiths and of no faith (like me) celebrate nothing at this time of year.
If you call me a miser you ought to know what it means. The Chambers Dictionary is a good one and it says for 'miser' - a wretch, a person who lives miserably in order to hoard wealth, a tight-fisted or niggardly person.
Why would you call someone that when you know nothing about them?

Anyway have a nice holiday and eat all you like and get back to school nice and refreshed. Bye!
[ps - I can't get back to school; I retired 20 years ago!]
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Merry Xmas everyone.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

John Bosley wrote:Best of luck to you, Eoin. :) , but as a 12 year old I think you are reading too much Dickens. Yes, Scrooge and his famous 'bah humbug' makes a great story but you should not regard my attitude to xmas as miserly. Many people of different faiths and of no faith (like me) celebrate nothing at this time of year.
If you call me a miser you ought to know what it means. The Chambers Dictionary is a good one and it says for 'miser' - a wretch, a person who lives miserably in order to hoard wealth, a tight-fisted or niggardly person.
Why would you call someone that when you know nothing about them?
If ever there was a miserly post, this is it.

Merry Christmas everybody!!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Also, read as much Dickens as you can.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

1) I don't read Dickens-I read other books
2) Sorry if i interpreted your post as miserly
3) i didn't know you were a non-believer
4) christmas is the best time of year
5) i apologise for judging you wrongly
6) i didn't mean as strong a word as miser- i just couldn't think of another one
7) christmas is the best time of year (i typed it twice on purpose)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Christmas is what you make it.

Think of the starving children in some Asian countries! Even you people in England are very well off, as am I in America!

Knowing this situation, the phrase, "Merry Christmas" has special meaning everywhere else.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

John Bosley wrote:I do nothing for xmas. Its a waste of time and money and utterly, utterly boring espcially how every programme on tv has to have its xmas special - what bollocks. Anyone agree?
Well in fairness I think when you start getting Xmas adverts in August or September (I think it's maybe even in July nowadays) that it does get a bit tedious. I'm not religious at all, I'm an atheist so I like Christmas just for the time to be with family, which I like very much and enjoy a lot, but I do get a bit pissed off with the six months of build up.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?