Forum Decorum

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Forum Decorum

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'll tell you what's out of order on this forum; from my quick maths, 273/483 (56%) of users signed up to this forum have never ever made a post!
I'm genuinely shocked, it would be understandable if it was a private forum and people just wanted to read, but it's not.
If it was under 50% then Charlie would have to change "silent majority" to something else on the user thing, and that's extra effort!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:Dominated by a clique? I wasn't keen when "outsiders" like Zef and Gevin seemed to be singled out for trivial things, whereas some of the "insiders" had free rein, but that doesn't seem to be an issue these days. So not a problem.
You get the odd classic don't moan moan but overall I think people are more civil nowadays, but that could be due to various factors.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andy Thomson wrote:Which brings me back to the original question, perhaps - why have those people chosen not to stick around?
Pretty much any community (online or not) has a kind of exponential fall off with regards to contribution. A few people contribute the majority of content, then there are various levels down from there, and a long tail of people who contribute basically nothing. It's no bad thing, I'd rather people posted nothing than a load of whingy shite about new presenters they haven't seen or whatever.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:You get the odd classic don't moan moan
What?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
What?
When people moan about other people moaning of course!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
What?
When people moan about other people moaning of course!
ah, the old classic moan squared
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:We explicitly don't have a policy on swearing and such like (if it's possible to explicitly not do something) because I generally trust people to behave like adults round here. I think being insulting is generally discouraged, profane or otherwise, but occasionally it happens and occasionally it's justified, so we don't need rules in stone. Casual swearing I personally couldn't give a shit about; if it makes you uncomfortable then don't do it, but respect other people's liberty to express themselves however they see fit. If people want to speak more politely to encourage the "over 30s" then that would be great but I don't think a top-down mandate is the way to do it. It's a thin line between disallowing phrases like "I fucking love Susie Dent" and outright censorship, which I try not to be accused of.
Charlie takes a very admirable stance on the issue of censorship, and never is he more benevolent than when a forum member's mode of expression happens to involve fat babies. For example, instead of purging my avatar outright like a true dictator would, Charlie has dedicated to me a custom-made avatar with which I can continue to pursue my penchant for fat babies within a Reamsist framework. I am truly grateful to you, Charlie. Long may your reign continue!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote: Charlie takes a very admirable stance on the issue of censorship, and never is he more benevolent than when a forum member's mode of expression happens to involve fat babies. For example, instead of purging my avatar outright like a true dictator would, Charlie has dedicated to me a custom-made avatar with which I can continue to pursue my penchant for fat babies within a Reamsist framework. I am truly grateful to you, Charlie. Long may your reign continue!
Excellent satire, only slightly undermined by the fact that it wasn't me that changed your avatar. Personally I think the new one is even worse than the old one.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote: Charlie takes a very admirable stance on the issue of censorship, and never is he more benevolent than when a forum member's mode of expression happens to involve fat babies. For example, instead of purging my avatar outright like a true dictator would, Charlie has dedicated to me a custom-made avatar with which I can continue to pursue my penchant for fat babies within a Reamsist framework. I am truly grateful to you, Charlie. Long may your reign continue!
Excellent satire, only slightly undermined by the fact that it wasn't me that changed your avatar. Personally I think the new one is even worse than the old one.
I dunno, I think the current one is pretty good.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Matt, thank you for standing up for me!
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

In response to the generalisation that 'older' people might be most offended - I am 50+ (and female) and don't find swearing as offensive as I used to when younger. Maybe that's something to do with the fact that it is generally more acceptable in everyday life these days. Or is that the problem? My Mum always used to say that swearing is an indication of poor vocabulary range but now she swears like a trooper and she's 78!! Bless.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Is it wise to categorise or generalise?
Swearing, or being offended by it, is not the prerogative of a particular sex or age group.
Some people like it while others do not like it.
Many people are quite selective about when they swear.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

On Apterous, i recently had SHITTYOIL as a conundrum
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Oliver Garner wrote:On Apterous, i recently had SHITTYOIL as a conundrum
Worth a look at this thread Oliver... http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 043#p22043
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sue Sheldon wrote:In response to the generalisation that 'older' people might be most offended - I am 50+ (and female) and don't find swearing as offensive as I used to when younger. Maybe that's something to do with the fact that it is generally more acceptable in everyday life these days. Or is that the problem? My Mum always used to say that swearing is an indication of poor vocabulary range but now she swears like a trooper and she's 78!! Bless.
I think it's strange as well that people think old people need "protecting" from it. I don't really see the connection.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sue Sheldon wrote:In response to the generalisation that 'older' people might be most offended - I am 50+ (and female) and don't find swearing as offensive as I used to when younger. Maybe that's something to do with the fact that it is generally more acceptable in everyday life these days. Or is that the problem? My Mum always used to say that swearing is an indication of poor vocabulary range but now she swears like a trooper and she's 78!! Bless.
I think it's strange as well that people think old people need "protecting" from it. I don't really see the connection.
A good strong swear-word can cause a prolapse on occasion, you can't be too careful.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Charlie Reams wrote:... because I generally trust people to behave like adults round here.
The triumph of hope over experience.

I used to dream that I would get the letter selection FEUDSHACK on one of my shows. Didn't happen, but goes towards 11 year old octochanps and the vocabulary required to be a winner at Countdown.

And there was never any swearing in the green room.

Unless fucksorrykai is a swearing...
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That's why you call the popular game show, "Family Fortunes" and not "Family Feud" like we do!