Reaction to Carol's farewell programme

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kyle Barrett

Reaction to Carol's farewell programme

Post by Kyle Barrett »

Did everyone see it?

I know I am new, so hi aswell.

I don't think I am going to watch the next series, I don't care how charming any new presenters are, Whiteley dying was one thing, but Carol has been in Countdown all the time I've been alive, and I don't think I really care for the next series.

Dunno if thats ignorant or purist but for me I think it's pivotal, and I almost want to send hatemail to C4. I won't ofcourse.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Carol's farewell programme

Post by Michael Wallace »

So, was it just me who found this really boring? Where as the 30 minutes of Carol's Greatest Hits (that is, her best number games solutions evah?)?

(I really hope I'm obviously kidding on the second part, there)

But yeah, was a bit dull, and oh my god Gyles Brandreth. I mean, really.
John Evans
Rookie

Re: Carol's farewell programme

Post by John Evans »

Kyle Barrett wrote: I don't think I am going to watch the next series.
It'll be your loss. Pretty much everyone who watched the filming for the CoC (broadcast in January) agrees it'll be fantastic.
Corby says it better
|
V
Last edited by John Evans on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Reaction to Carol's farewell programme

Post by Jon Corby »

Kyle Barrett wrote:Did everyone see it?

I know I am new, so hi aswell.
Hi, and welcome!
Kyle Barrett wrote:I don't think I am going to watch the next series, I don't care how charming any new presenters are, Whiteley dying was one thing, but Carol has been in Countdown all the time I've been alive, and I don't think I really care for the next series.

Dunno if thats ignorant or purist but for me I think it's pivotal, and I almost want to send hatemail to C4. I won't ofcourse.
Now fuck off.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kyle Barrett wrote: I don't think I am going to watch the next series, I don't care how charming any new presenters are, Whiteley dying was one thing, but Carol has been in Countdown all the time I've been alive, and I don't think I really care for the next series.

So your first post here is to say you won't be watching any more? Seems a bit odd to me but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Personally I would probably watch no matter the presenter, because I like playing the game more than all the peripheral stuff. But if you really tune in just to gaze idly at Carol Vorderman then I can only say that the new series has a whole different calibre of eye candy (for which see Corby's avatar ^)
Kyle Barrett

Post by Kyle Barrett »

Sorry.

I shall fuck off.

EDIT:
(she's pretty for sure :D )
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kyle Barrett wrote:EDIT:
(she's pretty for sure :D )
Charlie was talking about me, not Rachel.
Kyle Barrett

Post by Kyle Barrett »

Can you work the numbers like her?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:the new series has a whole different calibre of eye candy (for which see Corby's avatar ^)
Hahahahahahahahhhhahahah (repeat as needed)...

I'd noticed Corby's new avatar today on a couple of occasions - had just assumed it was Jon's wife!
(bear in mind I know nothing of your personal life or status Jon!)

Can't tell you how funny it was to realise it's Rachel thanks to Charlie's comment.
I guess this is what I meant about Rachel being hot but a bit of a generic blonde. Not that I have you down as anyone who'd go for anyone 'generic', Jon!
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:the new series has a whole different calibre of eye candy (for which see Corby's avatar ^)
Hahahahahahahahhhhahahah (repeat as needed)...

I'd noticed Corby's new avatar today on a couple of occasions - had just assumed it was Jon's wife!
(bear in mind I know nothing of your personal life or status Jon!)

Can't tell you how funny it was to realise it's Rachel thanks to Charlie's comment.
I guess this is what I meant about Rachel being hot but a bit of a generic blonde. Not that I have you down as anyone who'd go for anyone 'generic', Jon!
Careful. I am probably not the only person who met Rachel & Jeff at CofC who will wreak horrible revenge on anyone who disses them. :evil:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

tonywarren wrote:Careful. I am probably not the only person who met Rachel & Jeff at CofC who will wreak horrible revenge on anyone who disses them. :evil:
We've been here before tony, and I sure as hell don't intend to go back there.
My post was merely an expression of how funny it was that I'd completely misinterpreted Jon's avatar. Was not a comment on Rachel. Maybe it's just a bad picture.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Maybe it's just a bad picture.
Or maybe it's the greatest fucking picture ever taken.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Maybe it's just a bad picture.
Or maybe it's the greatest fucking picture ever taken.
I did only mean her half Jon. Obviously you're looking absofuckinglutely lovely.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

No idea whether it was thoughtlessness or arrogance, but most significant point about the Carol and Giles cry-in was that the only people who weren't celebrated (or even mentioned) were the contestants.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

harry wrote:No idea whether it was thoughtlessness or arrogance, but most significant point about the Carol and Giles cry-in was that the only people who weren't celebrated (or even mentioned) were the contestants.
I noticed that. I thought that's who were about to be mentioned when the most important people on the show were said. I guess as most contestants are viewers too, and were viewers first of all they can be included as 'viewers', but still, it's a big miss to make. I'd say they're of equal value - chicken and egg as it where.

The show was ok, but didn't offer much more than the BBC Breakfast news segment did.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I forgot to say that I was delighted to see Kathryn on the show. :D Bless her heart, it must have been very odd for her being there. :| And bless Susie too, keeping it together emotionally - at the same time as holding Richard's hysterical and awful leotard. :lol: It was slightly surprising that neither Des was mentioned, seeing as how they both played an important part keeping the show afloat. :|
I hope Carol goes on to do lots of great TV as the thought of not seeing her regularly is alien after all these years. And her gorgeous bottom, from side on and behind, will be missed in my house. It's as captivating as Marilyn Monroe's in Some Like It Hot. :twisted:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I hope Carol goes on to do lots of great TV as the thought of not seeing her regularly is alien after all these years. And her gorgeous bottom, from side on and behind, will be missed in my house. It's as captivating as Marilyn Monroe's in Some Like It Hot. :twisted:
Aye, that was a hell of a dress she had on today.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I think I may have got one or two photographs of her in that white dress. She was still wearing it at the drink afterwards. I'll have to see if any show her off well, and maybe post them. :D
Andrew Lowe

Post by Andrew Lowe »

I rather enjoyed the little half-hour programme in honour of Carol this afternoon. I personally thought it was going to be too brief to really do justice to her contribution, but perhaps any longer and it might have become just a little sickeningly over-sentimental. For those of us who watch the show more for the entertainment than as a serious game, then it's quite a big thing when there's a change of host, so I can see where the original poster was coming from in starting this thread. However, I can also appreciate that the majority of people here enjoy it as a competition, and for them it doesn't really matter who's presenting it.

Personally, it never really appealed to me as much after Richard died, and I can't say that Carol's departure will not have an effect on my viewing. I'll probably tune in in the New Year to see how the new presenters do, but sadly I now don't get as much time as I'd like to watch it (or to post here, for that matter), so I don't know how long I'll stick around to watch.

What particularly got to me was the sadness that Carol obviously felt after effectively being booted off the programme (either that, or she's a very good actress). It was obvious that someone wanted her out if all the 90% pay cut stuff is true, and that must've particularly hurt her - it doesn't just seem to have been about the money.

I'm sure Countdown will continue, and do well with the new presenters, but I don't think it'll ever reach the popularity it had with Richard and Carol at the helm.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I haven't seen the final cut, but at the time I thought it was quite good, with not too much weepiness. A worthy send-off.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Kyle! Welcome!

I did not see it, but to say I didn't like it would not be good!

Carol was wonderful, and I will miss her very much!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Kyle Barrett wrote: I don't think I am going to watch the next series, I don't care how charming any new presenters are, Whiteley dying was one thing, but Carol has been in Countdown all the time I've been alive, and I don't think I really care for the next series.
You sound like you have real abandonment issues and cant handle change well.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Great appropriate little show - not too much. Agree it was a bit weird neither Des mentioned (I suppose it was about CV and they didn't want to take over) and slightly weird the guests just vanished, poor Jean just disappeared without a mention.

Good send off though. Bit of TV history.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I enjoyed it and found it very nostalgic as I have watched the programme from the outset.

It was about the right length and left me wanting more.
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

I admit to becoming a bit tearful when Carol lost it at the end. Thought it was badly edited with guests appearing and disappearing as if Paul Zenon was in charge! Carol's dress - she seems to have a few of them in different colours and I just wish I looked half as good. :mrgreen:
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

They could have come up with some better clips. The only example of her displaying the arithmetical skills that made her famous was that over-familiar clip from the first episode of her explaining a not-particularly-difficult numbers game very slowly. Surely a clip of her explaining a seemingly impossible numbers game very quickly would have been a better choice? It is what she's meant to be good at, after all.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's amazing how quickly Carol can lose and gain her composure!
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

Jason Larsen wrote:It's amazing how quickly Carol can lose and gain her composure!
Why yes, it's almost as if the programme had somehow been edited down from a longer recording. :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Pete, that also applies to Carol in real life, I think!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Pete Fraser wrote:Why yes, it's almost as if the programme had somehow been edited down from a longer recording. :D
The recording certainly was longer than the final broadcast version, but the apparent speed with which Carol lost her composure was for real.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm not surprised.