Stand-up comedy

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Stand-up comedy

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Didn't know about this thread, but I'm definitely going to promote Rhys Thorne (no relation) who is genuinely hilarious. I tend to go along and watch him if I can; he's excellent.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Hadn't heard of Daniel Sloss but checked out an appearance on Conan O'Brien on youtube and he's not too bad. Wouldn't be paying in to see him myself but he has a fantastic anti abortion joke that cracked me up.

Hadn't heard of Rhys Thorne either but checked him out and he's shockingly bad. It was like watching an Alan Carr tribute act reading out Christmas cracker jokes.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Been meaning to look at Sloss for years as a couple of my mates go along to see him adjacent to the Fringe each year; good initial impression. Thorne - meh. Has potential, but a bit slow and predictable.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I saw Sloss years ago when he was about 19. Thought he was OK from what I remember. That's my contribution.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:04 pm I saw Sloss years ago when he was about 19. Thought he was OK from what I remember. That's my contribution.
Cheers, I was going to you tube him, but I don't want to accidentally see all his material before tonight
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Daniel Sloss, clever rather than funny but it's the first packed out night out since before covid
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

It had occurred to me that without prior knowledge of his materials I could easily have been offended by some of his jokes, not offended though, not funny neither, maybe my age is a factor as I'm not down with the kids.
The interesting thing is you can watch his stand up on his website for free but it does come with a trigger warning
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just back from a Frankie Boyle gig. Very good. Better than I was expecting. Decent support act too but unfortunately I can't remember the name.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:36 pm Just back from a Frankie Boyle gig. Very good. Better than I was expecting. Decent support act too but unfortunately I can't remember the name.
When I saw him a while ago (with Jono actually) he had Jack Carroll as his support act (disabled guy who was on Britain's Got Talent when he was about 14), and I think he at least sometimes supports him now. Could it have been him?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

No. Was an Irish dude from Cork originally.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

How's Frankie been now after the flak and controversy he'd gotten in the 2000s? I hear he's picked himself up from it and doing pretty alright in the scope of UK comedy.
One of da 'Muricans
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andres Sanchez wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:44 pm How's Frankie been now after the flak and controversy he'd gotten in the 2000s? I hear he's picked himself up from it and doing pretty alright in the scope of UK comedy.
He touches on it I suppose. He's closer to having so called woke values while still being outrageously filthy. He's definitely in the "they're just jokes" camp but also understands context is key. I don't think he's bitter about it. He understands there's gonna be things you can't get away with on certain TV shows that are no problem at your own gig. He lambasted the likes of Ricky Gervais moaning about people finding things offensive.

The thing I found interesting was the concept of heckling doesn't seem to be tolerated anymore by either the comedian or the audience. He still shuts hecklers down alright and can be harsh but it doesn't have the same feel of dealing with heckles you'd have had years ago and the audience seem happier that doesn't get drawn out in big back and forth. I think this is a good development.

Also, everyone is told on the way in that the he's on stage for about 70 to 80 minutes and you can't leave your seat during the performance. If you have to use the loo you won't be allowed back to your seat so make sure you go before he starts. It didn't seem to be policed too strictly but maybe just being told it means less people that would have got up do get up.