Damian Eadie- Miracle Worker

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Damian Eadie- Miracle Worker

Post by Matthew Green »

After watching CoC being filmed the other day, I have to say that Damian has pulled off a masterstroke. I know he doesnt come here anymore but he deserves credit nonetheless.
Jeff Stelling is absolutely brilliant and the new girl makes Carol look like a bit of a relic. In fact, watching the show yesterday, it looked old and dated and a bit amateurish. Stelling has now proved to be better than DesL at both sports and Countdown and he is so much better than DesO it is almost unfair. I might get assassinated for saying it but he's also a lot better than RW.

When the new line up comes on, it wont just make Countdown incredible but it will probably make the appalling DOND ('Im going to try my hardest to open a random box at random Noel') and the trashy Paul O'Grady s**tfest look even worse than they already are. Channel 4 would do well to move Countdown to a better slot.

A line up of Stelling, Riley, Dent and Inverdale would be the classiest on TV.
Last edited by Matthew Green on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Damien Eadie- Miracle Worker

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'm hearing lots of good things about the new Countdown, it sounds fucking mint.

A nice little 5 o'clock slot would be good. The 3:25 cuts my day in half.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Who is this "Damien Eadie" character? Is he by some chance related to Countdown producer Damian Eadie?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Do you know what, I consciously thought about the spelling this time and still got it wrong.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Damian Eadie- Miracle Worker

Post by Charlie Reams »

Heehee. Totally agree with the sentiment though; the guy's a genius. Apparently he hasn't had a day off for nine months, but I think he's earned a holiday now.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Considering there was talk of Countdown finishing as well, it makes it even more impressive.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Everything in this thread so far is true (with the possible exception of Stelling > Whiteley). Jeff and Rachel are the perfect pairing and series 60 will be utterly fantastic, if the c of c recordings were anything to go by.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Charlie Reams wrote:Heehee. Totally agree with the sentiment though; the guy's a genius. Apparently he hasn't had a day off for nine months, but I think he's earned a holiday now.
not just Damian 'tho. The whole team appeared to have pulled out all the stops. Had a fabulous time at CofC. Can't wait to see the new teapots. And what a change, Jeff listens to everything that's said and then uses it without notes during the show. You could count the retakes Jeff caused on the fingers of one hand!
Personal thanks to anyone on production team who reads this. Roll on Jan 12th.
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Looking forward to it, all seems positive but expectations are high now!!!
No one likes change and there seems to be a lot of it. As for a 5pm slot, I doubt that will happen but a swap with DOND wouldn't go amiss.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Four weeks is a long time to wait without my fix of Countdown, but hopefully it'll be worth it.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

tonywarren wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Heehee. Totally agree with the sentiment though; the guy's a genius. Apparently he hasn't had a day off for nine months, but I think he's earned a holiday now.
not just Damian 'tho. The whole team appeared to have pulled out all the stops. Had a fabulous time at CofC. Can't wait to see the new teapots. And what a change, Jeff listens to everything that's said and then uses it without notes during the show. You could count the retakes Jeff caused on the fingers of one hand!
Personal thanks to anyone on production team who reads this. Roll on Jan 12th.

.... Thanks Tony. We all had a great time and a big part of that was down to you guys, the contestants. You were all amazing.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

This is all sounding good and positive. :D

I'm very much a nostalgic type so need a bit longer to warm to all of this change than some of you... I guess it can be compared to being a widow and remarried - no one can quite replace your original love and you feel that you're cheating on them.

I've adored RW and CV since I was 12 and what they had and did is irreplaceable, but, quality is quality, and if the future is looking good I'll catch you all up in time... :)
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I agree that Stelling is a master stroke. I think he's going to be brilliant - let's hope he stays.

As for "the new girl", I think the jury has to stay out for a little while longer.

She's very relaxed, but she's not yet allowed to introduce the guests, or do much else, really, except make what seemed like scripted responses to Jeff's remarks.

On the only occasion on Monday that she ad libbed a witty remark, the crew decided it was too risque, and cut it.

As a youngster, who can relate to the age group of the folk who were appearing on Monday, I would have thought it would be helpful to encourage her to have a few off the cuff interchanges with them.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
David Gunn
Rookie

Post by David Gunn »

harry wrote:As for "the new girl", ..... but she's not yet allowed to introduce the guests,.....
It is only "recently" that Carol has introduced the guests; I'm sure that someone here will know when this was started, but I don't remember her doing so in Richard Whitely's days. I suspect that it was only started in the Des Lynam era.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

David Gunn wrote:
harry wrote:As for "the new girl", ..... but she's not yet allowed to introduce the guests,.....
It is only "recently" that Carol has introduced the guests; I'm sure that someone here will know when this was started, but I don't remember her doing so in Richard Whitely's days. I suspect that it was only started in the Des Lynam era.
I believe that Carol started doing the guest introductions on 16th January 2006, which was about eleven weeks into Des Lynam's first series.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

harry wrote: She's very relaxed, but she's not yet allowed to introduce the guests, or do much else, really, except make what seemed like scripted responses to Jeff's remarks.
You have to remember that Jeff has years of TV presenting behind him and you were watching Rachel's first few hours in the job, so it's obviously smart to give Jeff the majority of the workload for now. Her role in the programme will presumably grow as her experience does.
David Gunn
Rookie

Post by David Gunn »

Howard Somerset wrote:I believe that Carol started doing the guest introductions on 16th January 2006, which was about eleven weeks into Des Lynam's first series.
Thanks Howard, as I suspected, but it's always dangerous to guess on here as there's bound to be someone who knows.
So if Rachel introduces the guests any time in the next 22 years she'll be doing better than Carol ;)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

David Gunn wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I believe that Carol started doing the guest introductions on 16th January 2006, which was about eleven weeks into Des Lynam's first series.
Thanks Howard, as I suspected, but it's always dangerous to guess on here as there's bound to be someone who knows.
So if Rachel introduces the guests any time in the next 22 years she'll be doing better than Carol ;)
22 years! OMG!!! With luck, I won't be around to find out. :)
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Anyone who's seen the first episode of Countdown will realise how wooden both Richard and Carol were back then. I haven't seen Rachel yet, but she just has to be better than CV and RW were in the first show.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Just a little more on Carol starting the guest introductions. It wasn't a clean transfer from Des to Carol. For the first week, Des and Carol alternated the guest introduction. After that, Carol took it over permanently. Well permanently up to today, anyway.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the hosts or the slight changes to introductions. Jeff was awesome and brings so much energy to the show as you will find out very soon.

The production team were great especially when you consider how stressed they all must have been before the first game. I think they are all to be congratulated for what is, given the time in which they had to do it, a remarkable achievement.

What's more ... they tolerated us shower of bastards (sorry, Kai) for three whole days :o
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Nobody will tell me the reason behind the subject of this thread, but I have to agree, you are all right!

I have been told that the recent episodes of Countdown went "brilliantly," and I don't think it's just because of one thing in general.

No wonder why the Countdown crew took so long to let us know about the evolution! It sounds like it is all worthwhile, and I bet it certainly will be!