Campaign to get Stephen Fry in DC

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Sue Sheldon

Campaign to get Stephen Fry in DC

Post by Sue Sheldon »

Please please please x 25, could we have Stephen Fry in DC. Imagine... he wouldn't even need a dictionary - and Susie could have the day off. :)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Re: Campaign to get Stephen Fry in DC

Post by Damian E »

Sue Sheldon wrote:Please please please x 25, could we have Stephen Fry in DC. Imagine... he wouldn't even need a dictionary - and Susie could have the day off. :)
Bear in mind Sue, people have to WANT to come on the show. Are you suggesting we kidnap him?
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

Damian E wrote:
Sue Sheldon wrote:Please please please x 25, could we have Stephen Fry in DC. Imagine... he wouldn't even need a dictionary - and Susie could have the day off. :)
Bear in mind Sue, people have to WANT to come on the show. Are you suggesting we kidnap him?
Yep, that would work!

OR

Can't see how he wouldn't want to come on the show. I enjoyed it even though I lost - and I wasn't even getting paid! :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Stephen Fry was a regular in DC and is a huge fan of the show (he admitted it in the Guilty Pleasures programme) but he hasn't been on for yonks - maybe this has something to do with it: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eEkjiF_UilE
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

Thanks for that David. I didn't realise he had been on before, must have been before I started watching on a regular basis. Thought the clip was very funny, clever. Perhaps if he knew people were asking for him to come back on he may consider it. Does anyone (Damian) know if he's been invited lately?
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

He was invited less than a month ago and the answer was no. I expect he's concentrating on QI. Sorry
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Lara Searle wrote:He was invited less than a month ago and the answer was no. I expect he's concentrating on QI. Sorry
That's a shame but at least you tried.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Lara Searle wrote:He was invited less than a month ago and the answer was no. I expect he's concentrating on QI. Sorry
That's a shame but at least you tried.
Not very hard though by the sound of it.
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

"Not very hard though by the sound of it."

I take offense to that comment I'm afraid. We try really hard in the office to secure guests for the corner. As Damian said in an earlier post however. they have to actually want to come on the programme. I doubt you could name anyone that we haven't approched. We can't force them on a train to Leeds!

Stephen Fry is regularly asked to come on the show because we know how popular he is. He has declined each time, whether that be because he's busy filming abroad or because of his commitements with QI. We even asked him for a quick 2 minute message for our special 25th anniversary show and he wasn't able to do it. We asked him to appear on Carol's final programme and to come on as a guest to her half hour special and the answer again was no. We do our best here and to say we've not tried very hard is an insult.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lara Searle wrote:"Not very hard though by the sound of it."

I take offense to that comment I'm afraid. We try really hard in the office to secure guests for the corner. As Damian said in an earlier post however. they have to actually want to come on the programme. I doubt you could name anyone that we haven't approched. We can't force them on a train to Leeds!

Stephen Fry is regularly asked to come on the show because we know how popular he is. He has declined each time, whether that be because he's busy filming abroad or because of his commitements with QI. We even asked him for a quick 2 minute message for our special 25th anniversary show and he wasn't able to do it. We asked him to appear on Carol's final programme and to come on as a guest to her half hour special and the answer again was no. We do our best here and to say we've not tried very hard is an insult.
:shock:

I didn't mean it :(

I'm not posting anymore, I'm (accidentally) offending people left, right and centre at the moment.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm not posting anymore, I'm (accidentally) offending people left, right and centre at the moment.
And what about those of us who are offended by you not posting, hmmm?

(for what it's worth, I thought it was fairly obviously a joke, but lol internet - perhaps you should start putting a smiley at the end of every line to make it obvious you're not being serious :oops: ;) :ugeek: :roll: )
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:(for what it's worth, I thought it was fairly obviously a joke, but lol internet - perhaps you should start putting a smiley at the end of every line to make it obvious you're not being serious :oops: ;) :ugeek: :roll: )
I think you'll find it has been agreed previously that I only need to specify when I'm not taking the piss :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Lara Searle wrote:"Not very hard though by the sound of it."

Just Jon taking the piss, Lara. In fact, you should only really be offended if Jon hasn't slagged you off.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Lara Searle wrote:I doubt you could name anyone that we haven't approched.
So you *did* ask Mr. Blobby?

(seriously, that would be one of the best DC guests ever)
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Michael Wallace wrote:So you *did* ask Mr. Blobby?

(seriously, that would be one of the best DC guests ever)
Him and Carol go back a long way, of course.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h37KQu64RY4
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

@ Lara: Hi Lara, you say "I doubt you could name anyone that we haven't approched." It just made me wonder, do you prefer it if we leave your job to you, or would you welcome any suggestions from us viewers of who we'd like to see in DC? I would LOVE to see Hayley Mills there (espec if I could be prewarned to get my backside up there for the recording ;) ). I've seen her do after dinner talks and because of her family and a long career since childhood she has sooooo many wonderful stories. :D

@ Jon: don't stop posting :cry: , instead get busy with the smilies! :) I sometimes look back at my posts and think I use them excessively :oops: , but I'm rarely misunderstood. :D (I think! :? ) 8-)
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

Hi Lesley
We always welcome suggestions. As for Hayley Mills, you'll have to run that one by Damian who I suspect might give you a rude answer!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lara Searle wrote:Hi Lesley
We always welcome suggestions. As for Hayley Mills, you'll have to run that one by Damian who I suspect might give you a rude answer!
Damian Eadie has been in DC before and is part of the production team, so why not have the other members of the production team etc make an appearance?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Damian Eadie has been in DC before and is part of the production team, so why not have the other members of the production team etc make an appearance?
I guess they might be a bit busy, you know, producing the show?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Lara Searle wrote:I take offense to that comment I'm afraid.
I think you'll find your job description is quite insistent that you take OFFENCE!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:I guess they might be a bit busy, you know, producing the show?
Why? It can't be that hard.

;)
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

Thanks for trying Lara, and please don't give up, he may say yes one of these days. Other suggestions would be: Alexander Armstrong, let's see how he would do after turning down the job! :lol: OR Kai Laddiman, I think he could add a certain something and would be an interesting change! What do you think Kai? :)
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

The reason the rest of the production team couldn't be in dictionary corner is simple - we're rubbish at the game!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Oooh, I'll not hear a bad word about Hayley, so I'd better not. ;)

Have you ever approached Willie Russell the playwrite? I adore him too.

Oops, maybe shouldn't be mentioning Mills and Russell in the same post... I'll be giving away my fascination with twins being split up and not knowing each other exists 'til later... :oops:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Have you ever approached Willie Russell the playwrite?
Or even Willy Russell the playwright?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I've said it before but I'll have to say it again- Patrick Stewart would = ratings (even despite the cost). Ronnie Corbett would be awesome too.
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

Patrick Stewart and Ronnie Corbett have been approched several times since I've been on the team (18 months) and both have declined our kind and generous offer - sorry!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lara Searle wrote:Patrick Stewart and Ronnie Corbett have been approched several times since I've been on the team (18 months) and both have declined our kind and generous offer - sorry!
How har... never mind.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Jon Corby wrote:
Lara Searle wrote:Patrick Stewart and Ronnie Corbett have been approched several times since I've been on the team (18 months) and both have declined our kind and generous offer - sorry!
How har... never mind.
You're bad, Jon... :D
Frank
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lara Searle wrote:The reason the rest of the production team couldn't be in dictionary corner is simple - we're rubbish at the game!
Presumably you would get the same earpiece help as Susie. Not that I'm saying she completely relies on it, but I know it's there when she needs it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

All the potential good new celebrities seem to be otherwise engaged. :( I would suggest Len Goodman off of Strictly come dancing, but the 'how long is your word' joke would get older faster than Jo Brand's fake words did.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Although he can be a bit of a twat, Colin Murray (from Radio 1 and various other media-whoring projects that he might be doing) would probably be quite good and available. He mentions Countdown quite a lot and I get the impression that he'd be really into being in DC (although he might prefer to be a contestant - competitive, you see).
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:Have you ever approached Willie Russell the playwrite?
Or even Willy Russell the playwright?
Oops yes, thanks Phil. :oops: I'm obviously more used to typing 'willie' the way I spelt it. :twisted: ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lara Searle wrote:The reason the rest of the production team couldn't be in dictionary corner is simple - we're rubbish at the game!
Surely not.
I don't suppose if you would know Lara, if Celia Imrie has been approached at all?
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear some of the names mentioned having been invited (repeatedly) to the show. I guess some of us never really considered the likelihood that this took place, thinking these guys would welcome the chance to appear, when sadly they don't seem keen. I'd much rather have "regular" guests on a little more often than someone only there for a bit of cash. Keep up the good work! :)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

What about Ian Macmillan the Barnsley poet who is very funny and a good off-the-cuff Northerner. At least we would get some proper pomes on !
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Have you ever asked Alistair Appleton off of Cash in the Attic and Escape to the Country? It wouldn't matter if he's rubbish at the game, he could just sit there charming the pants off Susie and looking bed-wettingly divine.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

By the way, if you guys do ask Ian Macmillan to come on DC, please do not tell him I suggested it. He doesn't know any big words.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I have heard Ian Macmillan present some good stuff on various quizes and panel games.
He is a genial man and I think he would be a good guest.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I would LOVE to see Hayley Mills there
I was worried for a second - I read this as Heather Mills.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Martin Smith wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:I would LOVE to see Hayley Mills there
I was worried for a second - I read this as Heather Mills.
lol No not sure if Heather would fit in. But I did meet her in a pub in Brighton a few weeks ago and as she's a friend of a friend I spoke to her. She's actually really nice and generally the public and her get on face to face, it's mainly the media she has issues with and vice versa.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:She's actually really nice and generally the public and her get on face to face, it's mainly the media she has issues with and vice versa.
Or maybe career celebrities are just good at appearing friendly for a short period of time.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Just seen the farewell to CV and there was a shot of the past with Stephen Frying in the corner. All this talk of getting him on - seems he's been on!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:She's actually really nice and generally the public and her get on face to face, it's mainly the media she has issues with and vice versa.
Or maybe career celebrities are just good at appearing friendly for a short period of time.
She seemed completely mental on Star Stories last night!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
She seemed completely mental on Star Stories last night!
Oh yes, that was hysterical! :lol: And actually quite in her favour I thought. Poor Paul, painted as a total Scrooge. :?