I wish John Inverdale was my dad

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matthew Green
Devotee

I wish John Inverdale was my dad

Post by Matthew Green »

He could tuck me in at night and tell me stories about sporting events of days gone by...

And I might grow up and be as suave, sophisticated and good-looking as this almost superhuman dignitary. Any other dictionary corner guests from this point on are pointlessly sitting in his formidable shadow, looking ugly, dull and pale by comparison. A bit like when Alan Smith came on to replace Lineker in 92.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: I wish John Inverdale was my dad

Post by David O'Donnell »

He'd make a great host; haven't seen any Countdown this week though.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

The thing I liked most about him on the show was his curiosity, such as where he quizzed Susie on mass nouns. Off-camera he's also the friendliest person ever. I've already mentioned in a spoiler thread, how he actually had a proper conversation with me, as opposed to just chatting with Susie.

The curiosity would make him rather good at hosting, but I think he's better off doing sport. I also feel he'd be an excellent uncle.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Matthew Green wrote:He could tuck me in at night and tell me stories about sporting events of days gone by...

And I might grow up and be as suave, sophisticated and good-looking as this almost superhuman dignitary. Any other dictionary corner guests from this point on are pointlessly sitting in his formidable shadow, looking ugly, dull and pale by comparison. A bit like when Alan Smith came on to replace Lineker in 92.
I think you're forgetting Anne Widdecombe. She could be your mum.