What computer games have you been playing lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: What computer games have you been playing lately?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 am Just wanted to say the season 4 update for Fall Guys is fantastic.

On another note does anyone here play Amomg Us? Would anyone be interested in getting a C4 Countdown group game going?
Oops evidently didn't read properly, thought you were offering FG squads. Can do Among Us, I've not really got into it much. Indra can play with y'all.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Adam Dexter wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 pmHave you ever managed to actually win a campaign?
It's a shame it's not possible to see your stats. I know a lot of people have asked for this. At a guess I've won about 30-35 shows? Not sure. About 5 of those were Thin Ice Trials. Only managed 1 win on Hex Trials.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Cross play for Fall Guys has been strongly rumoured since the recent takeover (I think the fortnite owners bought it?).

S4 is a massive improvement on S3 in my opinion. Pretty much every event category equivalent is superior.

Skyline Stumble > Tundra Run (possibly my fav race stage)

Short Circuit > Freezy Peak (both good but I like the idea of laps)

Power Trip > Penguin Pursuit (had plenty of closer games on PT then on PP and had some good turn arounds too. Never had it as a final though.)

Basket Fall > Snowy Scrap (Snowy Scrap probably least fun team game for me)

Hoverboard Heroes > Ski Fall (again I like both but HH just edges it. Love the pinball flippers at the end)

Roll on > Roll off (not quite comparable as one is race and one survival but I prefer Roll on)

The only let down for me is Big Shots. Thin Ice is better as a survival event but it's still a poor man's Hex-a-gone which is easily the best event overall. I would play that as a game on its own. Would love an option to practice events against A.I. and it could definitely do with a stats page so you can see your best events and total wins.

I have 40 odd crowns. You get some by levelling up so I'd say I'm about the same as Matt with about 30 - 35 show wins. And I've only won Hex once as well. My best finale is usually Jump Showdown as I was pretty good at grabbing people just before the bar comes around but I've been sucking at that recently. I've only played Royal Fumble once. It never seems to come up.

Worst event is Perfect Match. It's kind of useless. They improved it a bit by putting the spinning bar in but the plain version still comes up too much. Very tempted to do a tier list of all the events.

One of the things I love most about the game though is trolling. I normally hate that in games and for the most part I play normally but every now and then it's great to just grab one of the beans and prevent them from completing a stage even if it means you go down with them. I don't know why I enjoy it so much.

And to think I got it for fucking free with PS+! Honestly one of the best games ever.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'll talk more about your breakdown soon, but for now...
Mark James wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 am I have 40 odd crowns. You get some by levelling up so I'd say I'm about the same as Matt with about 30 - 35 show wins.
I "have" - present. Do you never spend crowns? How long have you been playing? Typical season rewards (I'm looking at S4 but I remember S3 being much the same) provide about 20 crowns throughout the levels. Basically I'm hoping I've won more than you. Mwu haha. I spend most of mine on outfits though so am remembering the 30-35 very vaguely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 amHex-a-gone which is easily the best event overall. I would play that as a game on its own.
You do get to on the PS yeah? This is what I meant by Hex Trials.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 pm
Mark James wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 amHex-a-gone which is easily the best event overall. I would play that as a game on its own.
Not sure I understand the question? If I took you up right, you can't play individual events on PS. I wish you could. What I was saying was if Fall Guys was just Hex-a-gone I would be happy enough with that, it's that good of an event.

As for crowns I do spend them but not often. I crunched the numbers there. I have 18 currently to spend but 49 in my crown counter. You got 21 for levelling up in season 3 and I'm currently at level 20 for season 4 which is another 7 so 28 through levelling up. The counter only counts crowns won before season 3 when the counter was introduced. It doesn't include crowns gained through levelling in seasons 1 and 2 so that must mean I've won 21 shows. I guess I was optimistic with 30-35.

I'm not as keen on the costumes. I do buy them but usually with kudos rather than crowns. I prefer to buy colours and patterns. And I wouldn't buy a top if I can't afford the bottom. I rarely if ever buy faces, tags or celebrations either.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:32 am
Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 pm
Not sure I understand the question? If I took you up right, you can't play individual events on PS. I wish you could. What I was saying was if Fall Guys was just Hex-a-gone I would be happy enough with that, it's that good of an event.
I have no idea how it works on PS, so apologies if this sounds condescending, but yeah, from the main screen on PC you can select which shows you want to take part in. e.g. at the moment you can choose between Main Show, Squads Show, and FG 4041 (Season 4 games only). Main Show is permanent but the others change weekly - or thereabouts. They have included things like games with yeeters only, Hard Mode, Slime Survivors (only rounds where you can fall off into slime and be eliminated), etc. They have also included finals-only 'trials' games such as Thin Ice Trials, Jump Showdown Trials and Hex-a-Gone Trials. 20 players, 5 eliminated first round, 6 eliminated second round, final round of 9 players for the crown.
Mark James wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:32 amAs for crowns I do spend them but not often. I crunched the numbers there. I have 18 currently to spend but 49 in my crown counter.
I looked this up but didn't find much other than a sort of overlay you could add manually to Twitch streams etc just as a personal manual count. Is this the sort of thing you mean, or is there an actual official built-in counter on PS?
Mark James wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:32 amI'm not as keen on the costumes. I do buy them but usually with kudos rather than crowns. I prefer to buy colours and patterns. And I wouldn't buy a top if I can't afford the bottom. I rarely if ever buy faces, tags or celebrations either.
Yeah celebrations seem a real rip-off unless you win loads! Never bought one. I like faces though. Something satisfying about having the faces to match an outfit. Black faces in particular are essential for looks. please don't shame me Gevin
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm I have no idea how it works on PS, so apologies if this sounds condescending, but yeah, from the main screen on PC you can select which shows you want to take part in. e.g. at the moment you can choose between Main Show, Squads Show, and FG 4041 (Season 4 games only). Main Show is permanent but the others change weekly - or thereabouts. They have included things like games with yeeters only, Hard Mode, Slime Survivors (only rounds where you can fall off into slime and be eliminated), etc. They have also included finals-only 'trials' games such as Thin Ice Trials, Jump Showdown Trials and Hex-a-Gone Trials. 20 players, 5 eliminated first round, 6 eliminated second round, final round of 9 players for the crown.
No worries. Yeah PS has that show selector but I rarely check it. I did this season so I could play just season 4 and I did squads last night. Didn't realise it had any of those trials you mentioned. Wish I had checked it more often now. Would still like the option to just choose single events for practicing though.
I looked this up but didn't find much other than a sort of overlay you could add manually to Twitch streams etc just as a personal manual count. Is this the sort of thing you mean, or is there an actual official built-in counter on PS?
https://fallguysultimateknockout.fandom ... Crown_Rank

The crown ranking was added in season 3 and there's a counter to tell you what level you are at. Is that not on PC?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:30 pmThe crown ranking was added in season 3 and there's a counter to tell you what level you are at.
Ah yes, of course, the crown rewards thing! Stupid me. I've never actually noticed it in the corner of the home screen before, only ever pay attention to it when I win one.

Ok so mine is 76.
-16 for Season 2 (I started playing the game with 10 days left, looking at a list of rewards I got to level 33)
-21 for Season 3
-6 so far for Season 4
-5 for the mid-season 3 survey
not had any crowns from shards
not had any double crown events
linked Amazon account but never had Prime so fairly sure I got nothing for it

so that leaves a mildly disappointing 28 wins. Looks like we both think we're better than we are!

EDIT: oh shit no crowns for levelling up through season 2. So +16 back to 44 wins? Hmm. That seems too many! Maybe I did get something for Amazon rewards... swear I didn't get the costumes though. Oh well, I suspect they will add more stats as a feature at some point, then we'll know.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

So exciting news today Mark! Season 4.5 update sees Playstation and PC crossplay finally realised. Hit me up most evenings late on if you want to try and get in a lobby together. However, we won't be able to really enjoy it until they support cross-platform parties. Not yet.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 pm So exciting news today Mark! Season 4.5 update sees Playstation and PC crossplay finally realised. Hit me up most evenings late on if you want to try and get in a lobby together. However, we won't be able to really enjoy it until they support cross-platform parties. Not yet.
Absolutely. Probably won't be free myself for the weekend. Maybe Sunday evening but will definitely give you a shout next week.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Highly recommend Train Valley 2 which is a bargain as part of this latest Fanatical bundle - https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-m ... r-bundle-2

I loved the first game and the second one takes a different approach but is just as awesome. I'm currently splitting my video game obsessions with this and Fall Guys.

(Enjoying season 5 Mark?)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:45 pm Highly recommend Train Valley 2 which is a bargain as part of this latest Fanatical bundle - https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-m ... r-bundle-2

I loved the first game and the second one takes a different approach but is just as awesome. I'm currently splitting my video game obsessions with this and Fall Guys.

(Enjoying season 5 Mark?)
Not grabbing me the way season 4 did but still good.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just bought Worms for the PS4. Not sure what the trajectory of sequels and reboots has been in the interim, but it's great, and comparable to the original in terms of good quality gameplay and without any unnecessary 3D gubbins.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-m ... sts-bundle

The Flame in the Flood is a steal at 89p
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:11 pm A game I want to play with other c4capterites is Worms, specifically Worms Armageddon (still the best in the series). It's currently 85% off in the steam sale so if you pick it up, I'll be happy to play a game at any time. Steam username is (predictably) 'nebagram'.
Still true 6 years later, currently 80% off at £2.19 .

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2172 ... rmageddon/
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Also I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 5 on the XSX, but which is also available on Steam if you have a supercomputer.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Cool!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

How do we feel about 40 player lobbies instead of 60 in Fall Guys? I like that games start quicker I guess but I miss the chaos. I think Main Show should always be 60 but some of the other shows could be 40.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah it loses some charm - 60 player battle royale style approach sounds way cooler than 40. I'm probably winning more crowns on the other hand. Did they release it for Switch finally, or are they about to? Could be that Switch can't handle 60 players so well?
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Slowly getting back into Jackbox Games' games and their party packs, along with their old You Don't Know Jack trivia games in the 90s. Great stuff on Steam and the company's currently in the process of making their 9th party pack, love the company
One of da 'Muricans
Logan Skelton

Post by Logan Skelton »

Been playing too much Gran Turismo 7 and Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel lately...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

From the random thoughts of my mind, can anyone here tell me if there has ever been a platform game involving Jesus.
Part curiosity part fever dream I'm sure I have seen one
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:04 am From the random thoughts of my mind, can anyone here tell me if there has ever been a platform game involving Jesus.
Part curiosity part fever dream I'm sure I have seen one
Wouldn’t that be a water game?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

The main character in Kokotoni Wilf looked kind of religious. Not Jesus, but thought it was worth a mention for elimination purposes.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:42 pm The main character in Kokotoni Wilf looked kind of religious. Not Jesus, but thought it was worth a mention for elimination purposes.
I remember that game and the name stuck with me so much that 20 years later I called a work colleague Kokotoni Wolf.
He never played the game so didn't get the reference
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:42 pm The main character in Kokotoni Wilf looked kind of religious. Not Jesus, but thought it was worth a mention for elimination purposes.
Somewhere between an angel and a butterfly I'd say. Not sure what the design intention was, but a nice little game, that. I've still not made much progress with it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:35 pm
Ben Wilson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:11 pm A game I want to play with other c4capterites is Worms, specifically Worms Armageddon (still the best in the series). It's currently 85% off in the steam sale so if you pick it up, I'll be happy to play a game at any time. Steam username is (predictably) 'nebagram'.
Still true 6 years later, currently 80% off at £2.19 .

Now £1.64 (yes I will keep banging on about this every Steam sale btw)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

New Fall Guys levels are mostly excellent. Particularly like Volleyfall. What with it being free to play and loads more coming on line the standard has dropped so I find it easier to win crowns but squads is terrible because you get stuck teamed up with morons. I personally came first in the first two rounds but barely qualified through round one and was eliminated in round two because my team mates sucked so bad.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:24 am New Fall Guys levels are mostly excellent. Particularly like Volleyfall. What with it being free to play and loads more coming on line the standard has dropped so I find it easier to win crowns but squads is terrible because you get stuck teamed up with morons. I personally came first in the first two rounds but barely qualified through round one and was eliminated in round two because my team mates sucked so bad.
You still haven't accepted my Epic friend request!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It wasn't epic enough. Pretty average really.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:42 pm
Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:24 am New Fall Guys levels are mostly excellent. Particularly like Volleyfall. What with it being free to play and loads more coming on line the standard has dropped so I find it easier to win crowns but squads is terrible because you get stuck teamed up with morons. I personally came first in the first two rounds but barely qualified through round one and was eliminated in round two because my team mates sucked so bad.
You still haven't accepted my Epic friend request!
Done. Sorry, I never opened that social panel.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

UBoat.... the best WWII Submarine Sim...very addictive
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Still working through Doom (2016). Fun, but tough.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hades is starting to take away much of my Fall Guys time. It's excellent.