What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: What TV programmes have you been watching lately?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Euphoria. Not sure what I expected but it is way better than whatever that was.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Watching the Ipcress file.
Very faithful adaptation of the book.
Although the Berlin ambulances did not make that noise until 1968, this is set much earlier 😁
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: ↑Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:34 pm Euphoria. Not sure what I expected
A mild rush of endorphines?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm Watching the Ipcress file.
Not watched it yet, but if the lead character is called Harry Palmer that's one major difference from the book.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Williams wrote: ↑Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:20 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm Watching the Ipcress file.
Not watched it yet, but if the lead character is called Harry Palmer that's one major difference from the book.
Good point though as I remember it he was nameless
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Cobra.

Amazing cast, very interesting premise(s). Sometimes shoddy execution, often trying to introduce several new plot points per episode, even towards the end of the series, leading to a fairly flat finale that leaves many issues unresolved. Overall I still enjoyed it though and will watch future series.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Although I would never buy Apple products, their output on Apple TV is definitely quality over quantity.
The latest offering that's brilliant is Severance a comedy Sci - fi drama that's directed by Ben Stiller.
Impressive cast including Adam Scott John Turturro and the irrepressible Christopher Walken
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
Clever, funny and a decent twist
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Oh wow there's a new series of Inside No9? I had no idea, must watch that.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: ↑Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 am Oh wow there's a new series of Inside No9? I had no idea, must watch that.
I think we have had 3 so far on Iplayer
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Tried to watch Fleabag for the first time. Too much talking to the camera for me and barely raised a chuckle. Might give it a second chance but first impressions were not good.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
Packs more cleverness in a half hour Sci fi than many a 2 hour movie in fact it was a shame that it is only half hour.
Hopefully when the scripts are remade on FreeVee for an American audience the budgets and length will be bigger and longer in the same way Netflix improved Black Mirror
Definitely in the top 5 of Inside no. 9 episodes
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
Packs more cleverness in a half hour Sci fi than many a 2 hour movie in fact it was a shame that it is only half hour.
Hopefully when the scripts are remade on FreeVee for an American audience the budgets and length will be bigger and longer in the same way Netflix improved Black Mirror
I don't think it was clever. At the end it just got silly. But maybe I'm wrong - can you explain what was clever about it?

And I think I've said this before, but I think the half-hour format works well for Inside No. 9. Longer isn't automatically better.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm Inside no 9 series 7 episode 5.
I don't think it was clever. At the end it just got silly. But maybe I'm wrong - can you explain what was clever about it?

And I think I've said this before, but I think the half-hour format works well for Inside No. 9. Longer isn't automatically better.
Spoilers be below

It was clever because you was meant to think that the old man was some kind of pervert but he was an older version of the boy who went on to invent a time machine but came back to tell him not to take the path to invent a time machine but find a cure for cancer, which he did.
But the last 5 minutes packed so much in that it needed a rewatch to fully understand it.
It was a clever episode as opposed to a funny one
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I mean I didn't think it was really that coherent. Like it was trying to be clever but missing the mark. I did rewatch some bits of it but might go back again.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Mon May 30, 2022 7:02 pm Yeah, I mean I didn't think it was really that coherent. Like it was trying to be clever but missing the mark. I did rewatch some bits of it but might go back again.
If you are a podcast kinda person there is an inside Inside No. 9 podcast on BBC Sounds that gives you an insight on what the writers wanted to achieve.
Its worth a listen ( 30 minutes)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:57 pm The Outlaws (Stephen Merchant etc.) on the BBC is quite good. I've seen the first couple of episodes and it combines stupid comedy with gangland drama quite well.
Watched the second series of this. Would recommend.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:57 pm The Outlaws (Stephen Merchant etc.) on the BBC is quite good. I've seen the first couple of episodes and it combines stupid comedy with gangland drama quite well.
Watched the second series of this. Would recommend.
I've been saving this up for after I've finished The Lazarus Project
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Watched S1.E1 of Das Boot on Sky Atlantic (where else?), and really enjoyed it. Went to watch the next episode and it skipped to E4! Seasons 2 and 3 are available, but only 4 episodes from Season 1.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 am The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
By the way I thought the "Wicker Man" episode could have been better. I'll change the colour because of spoilers:

It just seemed to play out exactly as you would expect at the end in a copy (or homage if you're being generous) of the Wicker Man. I think it would have been better if it looked like it was about to end but then the geezer with his arms glued to the chair shouts something like "No, I'm not having this!" He then tears his arms away from the chair, and with blood runnning down him, picks up the chair and hits the Pemberton guy over the head with it, knocking him out. While holding the chair threateningly, he then shouts to the children "I'll kill all of you! Don't think I won't!" before throwing the chair down, looking around, and running off. I would have enjoyed that. It would have been the best episode ever in fact.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:30 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 am The latest season of Inside No9 has been a bit meh, but this weeks episode, The 9 lives of Kat was very good
By the way I thought the "Wicker Man" episode could have been better. I'll change the colour because of spoilers:

It just seemed to play out exactly as you would expect at the end in a copy (or homage if you're being generous) of the Wicker Man. I think it would have been better if it looked like it was about to end but then the geezer with his arms glued to the chair shouts something like "No, I'm not having this!" He then tears his arms away from the chair, and with blood runnning down him, picks up the chair and hits the Pemberton guy over the head with it, knocking him out. While holding the chair threateningly, he then shouts to the children "I'll kill all of you! Don't think I won't!" before throwing the chair down, looking around, and running off. I would have enjoyed that. It would have been the best episode ever in fact.
I agree it wasn't a twist ending like most, but significantly not all, episodes have.
I guess when you are making a programme with children, there is a limit to har far you can go
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 am This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
Until I saw it I thought you was making a statement about not watching TV
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 am
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 am This colour is even better for hiding spoilers...
Until I saw it I thought you was making a statement about not watching TV
Yeah, it's pretty cool!

As regards telly... Stranger Things, like the rest of the civilised world.
Top show!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bill Burr Live at Red Rocks.
Still one of the funniest stand-ups working today.
Tackling, woke culture, the Pandemic, Me too and BLM.
His angry rants are sometimes hysterical but he still has a way of breaking your heart too.
Out on Netflix
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I watched The Undeclared War recently. Thought it was entertaining enough but was too unrealistic in places for one to be able to suspend disbelief. And generally I thought the story could have been better.

Avoidance - sitcom with Romesh Ranganathan. OK, but won't be remembered in a few years' time as a classic or anything though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:12 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:30 pm

I agree it wasn't a twist ending like most, but significantly not all, episodes have.
I guess when you are making a programme with children, there is a limit to har far you can go
You can easily make it so that the children aren't actually present for the sweary rant if you want to. This sort of thing isn't remotely hard.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The final Neighbours and then I watched the very first episode on YouTube. You can basically work out everything that happened in between by joining the dots. All pretty obvious.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I've now watched seven episodes of inside number nine thanks to a friend putting them on whenever I was around. Thought based on the title that it would be a political thing like the crown, I guess I assumed 9 downing street was a relevant building. Anyway some were better than others as is always the case with this kind of show
cheers maus
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thomas Carey wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 pm I've now watched seven episodes of inside number nine thanks to a friend putting them on whenever I was around. Thought based on the title that it would be a political thing like the crown, I guess I assumed 9 downing street was a relevant building. Anyway some were better than others as is always the case with this kind of show
Best episode was The 12 days of Christine season 2 episode 4 I think
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marriage (BBC Iplayer)
Well acted drama with Sean Bean and Nicola Walker.
Great acting and writing from the chap who made Mum and Him and Her.
Cant not mention the horribly chosen theme music that plays at the beginning and end of each episode by Room Full of Teeth
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Stewart Lee : Snowflake
Very funny if a little too repetitive at times.
Don't watch if you are fans of Tony Parsons, Netflix Comedy Specials or Ricky Gervaise
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

There should have been a second part to that on Sunday but it got pulled, so hopefully it will be on soon.

Part 1 was a mixed bag for me. I think it lost its way a bit.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I saw the shows live a few weeks before they were filmed. Slightly odd that the BBC has broadcast Snowflake first as that actually was performed after the interval, with Tornado before it. There's even one slight callback joke early in Snowflake that subtly refers back to a theme of Tornado so would have made more sense to broadcast them in the order they were performed but oh well.

Hopefully there's a third special for them to broadcast if the second one goes down well.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Oh and Tornado I think is being broadcast this weekend now. It got pulled from last weekend's schedule because of the Queen's death.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Oh so it's two separate shows? The Radio Times just had it advertised as Snowflake 1/2. Though checking this week's one (which I didn't bother before as it wasn't going to be on) it does say Tornado but 2/2.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

He did a tour called 'Snowflake/Tornado'. At each gig he would perform a separate hour-long routine either side of the interval (one called Snowflake and one called Tornado). The two sets were completely separated and not a continuation of each other. Normally a Stewart Lee show has one continuous theme but this time the first set had a very definitive end, then there was the interval, then he came out and did the second set which had a proper beginning, a totally different theme, no callbacks bar one subtle reference very early on, and its own definitive end.

At least when I saw it in Leeds he did Tornado first, then Snowflake. And judging by the presence of that subtle callback early in the recording of Snowflake and the audible audience reaction to it, I would imagine he did the same in York when it was recorded.

For anyone interested in how the show might have varied from city to city, the Leeds metropolitan elite have all parkin spilled down them.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Tornado is really good by the way, the ending was immaculately performed and if Stew's comments on a recent podcast are to be believed, the TV version of it will feature a special guest appearance that should make it even better. I strongly recommend you watch it when it eventually is broadcast.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Reversing the order does make for a weird first 10 minutes of Snowflake. In any case, it was still great, even if the crowd were a lot less into it on the BBC version than when I saw it in the Royal Festival Hall.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:16 pm Oh and Tornado I think is being broadcast this weekend now. It got pulled from last weekend's schedule because of the Queen's death.
Apparently its another 3 weeks before Fawn Hub (Mourn Hub) airs Tornado.
Too soon to laugh apparently
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:39 pm
Callum Todd wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:16 pm Oh and Tornado I think is being broadcast this weekend now. It got pulled from last weekend's schedule because of the Queen's death.
I blame the monarchists. Know any?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Is this actually some sort of aversion towards comedy specifically during 'the period of national mourning' or is it just that the extra broadcasts (funeral, tributes, 'lying in state, etc.) have squeezed the schedules so that lots of shows have to be postponed?

If the former, I really don't get that. Fair enough for live or topical comedy programmes that would either have to joke about the news, which would probably just be divisive, or conspicuously ignore it. But prerecorded stuff that has nothing to do with the Queen or her death? What's wrong with that? Isn't it good to be able to turn to some comedy while dealing with some sad news?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Callum Todd wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:11 pm Is this actually some sort of aversion towards comedy specifically during 'the period of national mourning' or is it just that the extra broadcasts (funeral, tributes, 'lying in state, etc.) have squeezed the schedules so that lots of shows have to be postponed?

If the former, I really don't get that. Fair enough for live or topical comedy programmes that would either have to joke about the news, which would probably just be divisive, or conspicuously ignore it. But prerecorded stuff that has nothing to do with the Queen or her death? What's wrong with that? Isn't it good to be able to turn to some comedy while dealing with some sad news?
You could always watch After Life with Ricky Gervais 😊
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:39 pm
I blame the monarchists. Know any?
This lays purely at the Beebs door.
Im sure other channels are showing comedy
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared was due to be released on All 4 Monday just gone, but it's been delayed. Presumably it's the same reason but I don't know for sure.

For those unfamiliar:
https://youtu.be/9C_HReR_McQ
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I caught most of How to with John Wilson :Mandela effect.
It was good but I genuinely didn't know if it was real or a spoof
On BBC2 I was channel surfing for Queens mourning friendly TV
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Channel 5 has the Emoji movie from 11am tomorrow, Gevin.
Not sure what's on the other terrestrial challenges
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Good to see HIGNIFY back on form
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon O'Neill wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:05 pm Don't Hug Me I'm Scared was due to be released on All 4 Monday just gone, but it's been delayed. Presumably it's the same reason but I don't know for sure.

For those unfamiliar:
It's brilliant.

Cunk on Earth is also good.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: ↑Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:34 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:05 pm Don't Hug Me I'm Scared was due to be released on All 4 Monday just gone, but it's been delayed. Presumably it's the same reason but I don't know for sure.

For those unfamiliar:
It's brilliant.

Cunk on Earth is also good.
I will check these out. Obviously I've seen Cunk stuff but I've generally found it a bit weak. Like it's basically one joke (her talking like Brian Cox) and it doesn't seem to have much mileage. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh though and this series might be better anyway. But yeah, I suppose it reminds me a bit of Twenty Twelve/W1A which was just one joke rolled out into multiple series.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Just binged Am I being Unreasonable.
I cannot recommend this highly enough.
A comedy - Drama - Mystery.
Written by the star Daisy Mae Cooper.
It is funny, clever and a lot a misdirection.
Episode 4 is a real zinger.
Great ending too.
On BBC Iplayer
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

As mentioned elsewhere Friday night live on Channel 4 was good in parts ie not the oldies like Harry Enfield and Ronnie Ancona and Julian Clary although I thought Ben Elton was good liked the young comics and Jordan Gray stole the show with a funny comedy song before getting naked and playing the keyboard with his (her) penis
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

As in the other thread, I thought it was overall disappointing. A few funny bits though - take that how you want.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:50 pm As in the other thread, I thought it was overall disappointing. A few funny bits though - take that how you want.
I felt that Ben Elton did well and his material was good.
Mind you even I could do 10 minutes on the current political shambles but all the other oldies were bloated and not funny.
But some of the fresh talent from Edinburgh were OK.
Rosie Jones wasn't very good
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The Love box in your Living Room was very funny.
A spoof Adam Curtis style doc on the BBC reaching its centenary.
On Iplayer
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

JimBentley wrote: ↑Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:25 pm
Jon Corby wrote:
JimBentley wrote:commercialised version
Oh, I'm sorry, how did we get onto the topic of Mog? Twat.
Don't fuck with me, you idiotic cunt, or I'll expose your paedophilic love all over the internet. You know I've got the evidence and you know I can expose you at the drop of a hat. By choice, I think the hat should be a fez, or maybe a trilby.

(Do you think anyone's buying this?)
This aged well.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah. Absolutely fuck you Jim, you perverted cunt.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:12 am Yeah. Absolutely fuck you Jim, you perverted cunt.
7 years and 2 months for that comeback 😊
A, record, shirley
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

It is a record. And don't call me Shirley.

On a serious note, fuck. Jim was one of the first people who drew me in to apterous based on this forum. My first live event was Co:lon where I met Charlie, Matt Morrison, Heather, John O'Neill, Anne Dibben, Gev, Corby, and many more than I would like to mention without missing people out. I'm also thinking of people on here that I didn't get to meet that first time but did manage to forge relationships with over the years. I know I can be belligerent on here and I hope everyone appreciates the effect they've had on me. I may have drifted from Countdown the show since I've been on but this is my social media outlet. Even the likes of L'oisleatch and Ryhs who I can butt heads with, I hope everyone appreciates the outlet you've all given me. Maybe selfish with talking about myself so much but fuck it. I've even grown to love Meakin over the years. Yis are all legends in my eyes. The Jim shit has really depressed me. I just felt I had a affinity with him and I guess maybe I'm worried about being so similar. I can admit to doing some bad shit in my time but nothing compared to that. I'm hoping he can get any help that he needs while still recognising the abhorrent nature of what he was at and that the victims of that should be getting way more focus. I guess I'm drunk again and maybe that should be something I can look at but I do think I come up with some good shit at times. I wouldn't be the person I am with out this forum and the show and the community around it. I'm hoping I'm a good person overall despite my flaws and I hope every recognises that. I want to extend the same sentiments to you all. Thanks for everything!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark James wrote: ↑Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:47 am It is a record. And don't call me Shirley.

On a serious note, fuck. Jim was one of the first people who drew me in to apterous based on this forum. My first live event was Co:lon where I met Charlie, Matt Morrison, Heather, John O'Neill, Anne Dibben, Gev, Corby, and many more than I would like to mention without missing people out. I'm also thinking of people on here that I didn't get to meet that first time but did manage to forge relationships with over the years. I know I can be belligerent on here and I hope everyone appreciates the effect they've had on me. I may have drifted from Countdown the show since I've been on but this is my social media outlet. Even the likes of L'oisleatch and Ryhs who I can butt heads with, I hope everyone appreciates the outlet you've all given me. Maybe selfish with talking about myself so much but fuck it. I've even grown to love Meakin over the years. Yis are all legends in my eyes. The Jim shit has really depressed me. I just felt I had a affinity with him and I guess maybe I'm worried about being so similar. I can admit to doing some bad shit in my time but nothing compared to that. I'm hoping he can get any help that he needs while still recognising the abhorrent nature of what he was at and that the victims of that should be getting way more focus. I guess I'm drunk again and maybe that should be something I can look at but I do think I come up with some good shit at times. I wouldn't be the person I am with out this forum and the show and the community around it. I'm hoping I'm a good person overall despite my flaws and I hope every recognises that. I want to extend the same sentiments to you all. Thanks for everything!
Yes you are a good person.
I also treat this as my forum for spouting shit.
Who would have thought eh.
With regards, to Jim I've never met him but did enjoy his posts like most of us did but I also liked Richard Brittans posts and he is worse in some ways (gev can spell check this for me).
This community is both the cause of and the solution to a lot of my mental health problems.
I think I'm paraphrasing Homer Simpson