Annoying things Carol does

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
dan j

Annoying things Carol does

Post by dan j »

1. When the letters are picked, I hate how she puts her hand over the consonant or vowel section, pressuring the player into picking the type of letter SHE wants.

2. When she presses the little button for the numbers game, you can see her already trying to work out a solution before she reads the number out to everyone.

3. That annoying fake laugh.

4. The total smugness after the solving of a numbers game. I bet if she had a glass of water she would be sipping away at it in delight just like Kai does.

5. Her dislike for the letter Z.

6. When a word like "you" or "pen" appears on the letters board, she will laugh histerically.

7. When a Q is on the board and a U comes up she always tells the player you can use the Q and U together.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Annoying things Carol does

Post by Ben Wilson »

dan j wrote:1. When the letters are picked, I hate how she puts her hand over the consonant or vowel section, pressuring the player into picking the type of letter SHE wants.
I always used to subvert this by watching where Carol put her hand and choosing from the other box. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

8. Doesn't show enough cleavage :x
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dan j wrote:5. Her dislike for the letter Z.
She dislikes Q, X and Z I believe. It does annoy me when people say "and a better one" when they come out.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
She dislikes Q, X and Z I believe. It does annoy me when people say "and a better one" when they come out.
I want to go on Countdown and always say "and a better one" when I actually mean "and another" to piss everyone off.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
I want to go on Countdown and always say "and a better one" when I actually mean "and another" to piss everyone off.
That would definitely piss people off :lol:

What you could also do, is say "please" for every letter you pick. I believe there is a sort of rule that says just to really say "please" when picking the first and last letter, but not sure of that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dan, I don't know who you are and you never bothered to introduce yourself but, well...
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Hair tossing, every time she turns towards the board.
Oh..and when a contestant may have picked a couple of consonants, say, and then says "another one",
and Carol responds with "Another consonant?"
But it's the hair tossing that annoys me most.
Last edited by Ralph Gillions on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

The laboured and overlong introductions to the DC guest, which she sort of knows off by heart, but not quite, meaning that she has to keep pausing mid-sentence to look at her cue card.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

When she pretends to look interested during Susie's origin of words!
steve D

Post by steve D »

Nothing to me because Carol is so gorgeous anyway so I not bothered :P :mrgreen:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I know I've said this before, but this is probably a more appropriate place...

When she says "That's a nice one" when a particularly easy numbers game comes up. It's not a nice one. Carol's nice numbers game is one in which both contestants have a good chance of getting 10 points. The aim is to beat the other contestant, not to equal him/her. So a nice numbers game is one which is challenging enough to make the other contestant struggle.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

steve D wrote:Nothing to me because Carol is so gorgeous anyway so I not bothered :P :mrgreen:
They say, every rose has its thorn :D

You will probably find one thing annoying about her.
dan j

Post by dan j »

Yeah Howard, that's another one. Puts pressure on players to get it.
dan j

Post by dan j »

Jason Larsen wrote:Dan, I don't know who you are and you never bothered to introduce yourself but, well...
Craig Beevers' #1 fan.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:I know I've said this before, but this is probably a more appropriate place...

When she says "That's a nice one" when a particularly easy numbers game comes up. It's not a nice one. Carol's nice numbers game is one in which both contestants have a good chance of getting 10 points. The aim is to beat the other contestant, not to equal him/her. So a nice numbers game is one which is challenging enough to make the other contestant struggle.
I hate it too, but more generally when she expresses preferences at all. It would probably be OK occasionally, but we've never been in a position to see it.

Also what annoys me is that her head gets in the way when she puts the numbers up. It used not to happen so I don't know why it does now. Presumably it's not mainly her fault as someone on the production team should get her to stand in a more appropriate place/change the lay-out in some way. It does seem rather amateur. I know Damian will take this as a dig at him, but I would have posted the same regardless of whether I knew who the producer was.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Dan, I don't know who you are and you never bothered to introduce yourself but, well...
Harsh!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm not saying how I actually feel like that but Dan, if you say you are Craig Beevers' #1 fan, are you having dreams about Craig Charles being named the new host of Countdown?
dan j

Post by dan j »

I'd love to see craig beevers naked.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

-When she stands in front of the last number as she announces the target, depriving the viewer of a full view of the selection for approximately 1.6 seconds.

-When she is still trying to work out the numbers in her head and barely listens to the person announcing their method.

-The disingenuous laughs at crap jokes sent in for Deso to read.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matthew Green wrote:-When she stands in front of the last number as she announces the target, depriving the viewer of a full view of the selection for approximately 1.6 seconds.
That just makes it sound like you sit there with a stopwatch.

Which gives me a thought for a new Countdown challenge - can you solve the numbers game *and* ejaculate within the time?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The only time Carol has annoyed me is when she has said that Scousers can't pronounce the word Sudoku correctly.

How many games are left in this series by the way?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Joseph Bolas wrote:The only time Carol has annoyed me is when she has said that Scousers can't pronounce the word Sudoku correctly.
In my experience, virtually *no-one* seems able to pronounce it correctly.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dan!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:The only time Carol has annoyed me is when she has said that Scousers can't pronounce the word Sudoku correctly.
In my experience, virtually *no-one* seems able to pronounce it correctly.
Well Carol only said that it was Scousers who couldn't pronounce it :x
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

She frequently doesn't write out the sum in the way the contestant describes it.

She also often leaves out bits of information like equal marks; sometimes she writes the final sum, sometimes not; sometimes she writes out brackets and other times not; in fact she is inconsistent. This is not clever, it's sloppy IMO! If you compare the way she does it now with the very careful and meticulous way she did it when she first started you will notice the difference!
dan j

Post by dan j »

She supports man u too.
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

I think it was Jan Ravens that once did a brilliant send-up of Carol laughing like a hyena bent double at everything that Richard Whiteley said - and not laughing at much better jokes from anyone else in the studio.
Last edited by John Douglas on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

She sometimes doesn't appear during an ad break to offer me a chance to pay off all my debts in one consolidated loan. That worries me that credit might not be as freely available as before, and we could be heading for what one might call a "credit crunch" so for that she really annoys me.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dan...
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Carol essentially has a mundane role where she has done the same task many thousands of times. She somehow contrives to do it so well that she has made herself a star by doing it. Even when she's laughing too loud at some duff celebrity you know it's because her only thought is to make every episode of Countdown the best she possibly can. I've never seen her have an off-day.

The ultimate professional. How annoying is that?

David
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:Carol essentially has a mundane role where she has done the same task many thousands of times. She somehow contrives to do it so well that she has made herself a star by doing it. Even when she's laughing too loud at some duff celebrity you know it's because her only thought is to make every episode of Countdown the best she possibly can. I've never seen her have an off-day.

David
I agree wholeheartedly David. This is why this thread pisses me off. Fair enough if you don't like Carol, but to pick on tiny little characteristics like these and make what actually reads as a pretty spiteful thread about it stinks. There's a few little things Carol does which peeve me (such as helping with maths formula, pointing out words while the letters are being chosen) but this is more than outweighed by what she does bring to the show, which is immense.

WTF would the new host/ess think if they were reading this? Do you just want them to stand there robotically dealing cards (a la Play Your Cards Right), or bring a little personality to it?

(To new hostess if you are reading this, ignore these cunts)
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I have just heard that Carol has read this thread and is so distressed she has quit the show after 25 years. She will only be on a handful of shows in the future, all of which have been pre-recorded.
So I hope you lot are happy.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

John Douglas wrote:I rhink it was Jan Ravens that once did a brilliant send-up of Carol laughing like a hyena bent double at everything that Richard Whiteley said - and not laughing at much better jokes from anyone else in the studio.
Yeah, I remember that. She hasn't been invited back to DC since then, have you noticed?

OT I know, but the above puts me in mind of my favourite inflammatory remark made by a DC guest, directed not at a host but at a contestant. It was a few months ago when one of the contestants was some retired RAF chap who'd flown aircraft with the Queen's Flight (or something). At the end of the show Des asked him who was his favourite passenger. With no discernible trace of irony, the guy said something like, "Oh, Margaret Thatcher without a doubt. She was absolutely delightful." At which point Jo Brand muttered darkly from DC: "Good job it wasn't me - I'd have pushed the eject button", thereby making up at a stroke for years of right-wing claptrap from the likes of Brandreth, Widdecombe, Ingham etc.
dan j

Post by dan j »

Yeah, Carol is total shit, I'm glad she is leaving. Lisa Rogers to replace her!
Lara Searle
Rookie

Post by Lara Searle »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:Carol essentially has a mundane role where she has done the same task many thousands of times. She somehow contrives to do it so well that she has made herself a star by doing it. Even when she's laughing too loud at some duff celebrity you know it's because her only thought is to make every episode of Countdown the best she possibly can. I've never seen her have an off-day.

David
I agree wholeheartedly David. This is why this thread pisses me off. Fair enough if you don't like Carol, but to pick on tiny little characteristics like these and make what actually reads as a pretty spiteful thread about it stinks. There's a few little things Carol does which peeve me (such as helping with maths formula, pointing out words while the letters are being chosen) but this is more than outweighed by what she does bring to the show, which is immense.

WTF would the new host/ess think if they were reading this? Do you just want them to stand there robotically dealing cards (a la Play Your Cards Right), or bring a little personality to it?

Here, here. Stop being mean. Interesting that some of the people now slagging her off are the people who were fawning all over her when they met her.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I think she's done a fabulous job, and will be sorry to see her go. She will certainly be a tough act to follow, but I'm sure the producers will have chosen wisely when looking for her replacement. I'm looking forward the 'unveiling' of the new show.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

One thing I liked about Carol was that she was still really ultra competitive about the numbers. I thought it endearingly nerdy when she revealed yesterday that she keeps a record of all her results on the numbers and the contestants' results. I am not a fan of the hollow laugh but that's television and there is really no need to be naive about the whole thing. My mum and aunt thought she was absolutely lovely when talking to her afterwards but that may have been helped by the fact that Carol mentioned them on national television. ;)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

What a weird thread.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Damian E wrote:What a weird thread.
Relatively speaking it's fairly normal.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Who's relatives?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

DebbiF wrote:I think she's done a fabulous job, and will be sorry to see her go. She will certainly be a tough act to follow, but I'm sure the producers will have chosen wisely when looking for her replacement. I'm looking forward the 'unveiling' of the new show.

Well said.

The 'unveiling' will no doubt be dissected and ripped to pieces on here before we've even put out the first show. Am sure Gevin will have an opinion or forty on everything. I can't wait to read it all. Oh, in fact i can wait. Forever.

And ever.

And ever.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Oh, and has anyone noticed that the avatars of Lara Searle and dan j are strikingly similar?

I was going to type something about the I P address, but i've never worn one and i'm not incontinent.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:The 'unveiling'
I'm really excited about this. REALLY excited. Far more so than the main host.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jon Corby wrote:
Damian E wrote:The 'unveiling'
I'm really excited about this. REALLY excited. Far more so than the main host.
I am reliably informed that there is every reason to be excited.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:I am reliably informed that there is every reason to be excited.
Now I'm really really excited. Really REALLY excited!

Oh god, I'm ... just... so ... excited!

Now.... not so excited.

Now feeling slightly ashamed.

Now a little numb.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jon Corby wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:I am reliably informed that there is every reason to be excited.
Now I'm really really excited. Really REALLY excited!

Oh god, I'm ... just... so ... excited!

Now.... not so excited.

Now feeling slightly ashamed.

Now a little numb.
:lol:
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
She dislikes Q, X and Z I believe.
But S + M always seem to bring a smile to her face :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Some of you have points, but some of you don't. I just don't understand!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:

David

Some people find certain people annyoing, some don't. There's plenty of threads slagging off the guests and I think Carol, as a major celebrity, is at least as fair game as they are. It's not just that Carol brings personality, as opposed to robotically dealing cards, but that some simply don't like that particular personality. I find her annoying; you two don't. That's just the way it is.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

I don't get too annoyed by many things or people, and Carol doesn't annoy me at all. But, I have to say the list mentioned above is hysterical - I'm aware that she does these things, and I just find them cute and funny rather than off-putting. Like yesterday, when the 'M' and 'F' came out, I, like her, was excited when the 'I' came out. I never cease to be excited by a little word or acronym. Simple things... :lol:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I don't get too annoyed by many things or people, and Carol doesn't annoy me at all. But, I have to say the list mentioned above is hysterical - I'm aware that she does these things, and I just find them cute and funny rather than off-putting. Like yesterday, when the 'M' and 'F' came out, I, like her, was excited when the 'I' came out. I never cease to be excited by a little word or acronym. Simple things... :lol:
PMT and LESI were funny ones :D
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Joseph Bolas wrote:PMT and LESI were funny ones :D
Oh yes! :lol: And wasn't LESI on the same episode as 'gay' or 'poofter' or something? :lol:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:PMT and LESI were funny ones :D
Oh yes! :lol: And wasn't LESI on the same episode as 'gay' or 'poofter' or something? :lol:
It was on 10th October :D
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Just the way that she almost forces the contestant into choosing an easy numbers game. Yet I agree she deserves credit, she has done very well for herself out of it.

Everyone knows Susie's better though.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jimmy wrote:Just the way that she almost forces the contestant into choosing an easy numbers game. Yet I agree she deserves credit, she has done very well for herself out of it.

Everyone knows Susie's better though.
If a contestant who has been on awhile, always pick 6 small for example, she will dread it when it comes to their numbers round, hoping that the contestant will change their selection.

Susie seems to be a nice person indeed and I would love to meet her in person.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Joseph Bolas wrote:If a contestant who has been on awhile, always pick 6 small for example, she will dread it when it comes to their numbers round, hoping that the contestant will change their selection.
But then she gets excited and relieved when one of the small six numbers turns out to be a 10. :lol:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:If a contestant who has been on awhile, always pick 6 small for example, she will dread it when it comes to their numbers round, hoping that the contestant will change their selection.
But then she gets excited and relieved when one of the small six numbers turns out to be a 10. :lol:
I do too :lol:
Keith Hazell

Post by Keith Hazell »

Carol cannot do anything wrong as far as I'm concerned - and her smile is like the sun in the morning.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

dan j wrote: I bet if she had a glass of water she would be sipping away at it in delight just like Kai does.
Oh, thanks a lot. You know it's hot under those lights, and you have to keep your brain hydrated whenever possible.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.