Retirement

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Retirement

Post by Julian Fell »

I'm sorry to say I'm going to retire from unofficial Countdown competitions (online and real-life) with immediate effect - there are various reasons but it boils down to the fact that I've gradually lost interest in and enthusiasm for the game, and there's no point in trying to compete with some of the best players of all time if my heart's not in it any more. And on top of that, I just don't have the time any more, with work commitments etc.

I'm aware this will mess up COGST and I'm sorry about that - I know Paul won't want to win by default so I would suggest David O take my place in the Final, but it'll be Martin's decision I guess. I also obviously won't be coming to COLIN next year any more, so please take my name off the list for that, Ben.

I've enjoyed getting back into competition for a while and it was good meeting people at CONot, but I'm going to try and move on now and get into different things. I'm sure I'll still watch the series 59 finals and the CofC; good luck to everyone taking part, and I look forward to seeing how the new hosts get on.

Sorry if it seems OTT to post a public message like this, I just didn't want scores of people emailing me saying "where've you disappeared to", "why aren't you posting any more", etc., as has happened before. All the best to everyone; I apologize again for the awkward timing of this.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Re: Retirement

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Very sorry to hear this Julian, I was really looking forward to meeting you at COLin. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll kick ass whatever you do.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

We'll miss you, but best of luck in whatever you do next.
Bye Bye
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I suspect that you put far too much pressure on yourself to max every single round and have lost sight of the joy of the game somewhat, so maybe it is time to move on. You'll be missed and I hope you'll check back here from time to time, because we've had some great discussions over the years and, even when I disagree with you about some lexonerdical point, I always know I'm talking to someone who has their facts straight. So thanks for that, and good luck in whatever you do next.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

You will be missed, Julian. It was a pleasure to meet you at Richard Whiteley's Memorial Service at York Minster a few years back and it was a pleasure to see you again at CONOT. I understand what both you and Charlie have said - if you've not got the enthusiasm any more it's very hard to be top of the pack as you have been and losing matches is inevitable, which I'm sure you're not used to doing. I think we can all thank you for setting those records on the show way back in Series 46 which gave us all something to beat and aspire to and I'm sure people will agree that it was you that helped spark this current trend of Lexonerds to try and be awesome at Countdown. Thankyou and good luck with your next path in life.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Aw, sorry to see you go, good luck with the lawyering if that's what you're up to. I know what you mean about waning interest, my love for countdown has been somewhat rekindled by speedgoat, but 30 secs standard has become boring and I don't usually watch unless there's someone good on.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Sorry to read this Julian, but I totally respect your decision. I always enjoy your posts (especially the mass noun ones) and it's a shame "Mr 146" is bowing out. It's been an honour and pleasure to meet you several times over the last few years (I'll put my drubbing in the quarter-finals in the 'honour' category, I think :) ) and I hope that perhaps our paths may cross again in the future. You never know...

Best of luck in everything you do, anyway. And don't be afraid to drop in at C4C and say 'hi'!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Very sorry to hear this Juilan. You'll be sadly missed by everyone. I'd just like to say that it was a delight to meet you on just one occasion, at CONOT earlier this year.

I wish you well in all you do, and hope that, one day, you'll reconsider and join once again.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I can sort of understand this on many levels. I think I'm basically through with watching Countdown on TV although I enjoy logging on to Apterous. And I stopped doing online Countdown for a couple of years too, for similar reasons. Yeah as for COGST it's less than ideal, I wouldn't want to reinstate a player that's lost though, so I guess Paul Howe is the champion by default. As far as online games go, I think if you don't actually play you get a tournament loss but your rating doesn't change. The same thing happens with ABSP Scrabble tournaments that if you fall ill, your subsequent opponents all 'win' but they don't get any credit in the ratings for it (is this right Charlie). This would apply to Jerry Humphreys and Jason Cullen in COGST as well.

But no, no hard feelings it's a game, an online one at that, and I think we all enjoyed the tournament.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

List of players too scared to face me:

Conor
Julian

Conor, we could maybe do the last game of the COMA final on apterous if you're still interested?
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I'm interested. :P
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Conor wrote:I'm interested. :P
And hurry up about it, would you? :P ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You can add me to that list too Paul.

Julian you bastard, I've just agreed to go to CoLin so I can meet you. I hope you rot in hell.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Happy retirement Julian. At least come to COLIN 09 so we can throw you a proper retirement bash :P
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:I suspect that you put far too much pressure on yourself to max every single round and have lost sight of the joy of the game somewhat, so maybe it is time to move on. You'll be missed and I hope you'll check back here from time to time, because we've had some great discussions over the years and, even when I disagree with you about some lexonerdical point, I always know I'm talking to someone who has their facts straight. So thanks for that, and good luck in whatever you do next.
I think Charlie has hit the nail on the head there and it is a shame. I don't think everyone always expects you to hit a max each round, actually I'd quite like it if you missed a few ... like in semi-finals for instance.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Well Julian obviously its a shame but I understand totally where you're coming from on this. To get back in to the shape you were it does take a lot of practice and I myself don't have the motivation or time to do that anymore.

Fair enough about tournaments as I'm also effectively retired though you can never say never, but my only ocntributions are browsing and the occassional post. And I;ve found that checking the days games is a great way of winding down after work.

Well good luck to you and I'll drop you a line sometime.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Paul Howe wrote:Aw, sorry to see you go, good luck with the lawyering if that's what you're up to. I know what you mean about waning interest, my love for countdown has been somewhat rekindled by speedgoat, but 30 secs standard has become boring and I don't usually watch unless there's someone good on.
I agree. Speedgoat is like a girl who lets you take her up the arse- its new, thrilling, dangerous and a little but wrong- and it makes regular sex with your long-term girlfriend seem unbelievably mundane.

Julian, give it 10 years and you'll come back stronger than ever. Well Take That did anyway...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:Speedgoat is like a girl who lets you take her up the arse- its new, thrilling, dangerous and a little but wrong- and it makes regular sex with your long-term girlfriend seem unbelievably mundane.
Yeah, until you find out the real reason that "she" wants it up the arse, and spend the next three days being sick into a hat.

Edit: Or: isn't that just like a regular goat anyway?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I echo the sentiments discussed previously about Julian's sad departure from Countdown. In my eyes, you are still the greatest countdown player of all time and its a shame we cant have a rematch at COLIN in January because I wanted to prove to myself that my victory over yourself at CONOT was somewhat fortuotous :P .

Best wishes for the future and don't be a stranger to the c4c forum ;)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Speedgoat is like a girl who lets you take her up the arse- its new, thrilling, dangerous and a little but wrong- and it makes regular sex with your long-term girlfriend seem unbelievably mundane.
Yeah, until you find out the real reason that "she" wants it up the arse, and spend the next three days being sick into a hat.

Edit: Or: isn't that just like a regular goat anyway?
Oh Jon, you do make me laugh!! :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Sorry you're going Julian.

Good luck with whatever you're doing!

cheers

Kevin
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Sorry to see you go, Julian. Glad I had the chance to play you before you retired.But who knows, perhaps one day you'll feel differently about things and come back?

Good luck in everything you do.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

The legend is alive. I did an after school highly able club today and showed them James Martin on Youtube (panicking as the related searches displayed "c**tflaps" and stuff until I quickly managed to close down related searches) and showed them some 4 large tricks - well, they actually came up with the 203 and 197 rules etc themselves. I set them a couple of problems using one of those (or the 298/302 rule) and they got it. Then one kid piped up and said "I know a Countdown champion" expecting him to say someone who had won 1 show (as that's what some people define as Countdown champions) and he said "His name is Julian". His mum knew him apparently - something to do with French. I'm sure this would make sense to Julian but he no longer browses :(