Grand Final Spoilers for Friday 24th December 2021

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Grand Final Spoilers for Friday 24th December 2021

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The big day has finally arrived!

Joseph Krol arrives in the final as number one seed and hot favourite are dispatching his sister Sophie yesterday in a tense double-max game, 147-137, the highest joint total since the switch to all numbers rounds.

Meeting him is number three seed Amey Deshpande on his eighteenth stint on the show. He won out over Gevin Chapstick-Pereira on Wednesday 10-0 on an eighteenth tie break numbernundrum.

Join host Mark Deeks and arithmetician Joanna O'Neill tomorrow, with infamous serial killer turned religious reformist Richard Brittain in DC. Make sure you tune in, live on Eurosport at 8pm European Mean Time!
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Re: Grand Final Spoilers for Friday 24th December 2021

Post by Fred Mumford »

1+1=2 as a beater in round 6 (standard method).
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sweet! The show survived long enough to allow me to move to the UK without getting chucked out of university.

Not exactly pleased with my performance against Matt Bayfield in Series 81½b(iii), but what do you do?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

lmao .. .. .. this is great
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

What's the consensus opinion about the addition of gravel traps and the compulsory wearing of crash helmets?

I know the Harry Mulvey fatality in that freak consonant accident was a tragedy for all concerned, but if you eliminate all the risks entirely then the very nature of the game changes. Banning letters rounds completely was just typical of the modern molly coddled nanny state world we live in. Fear of death was what made those pressure conundrums so special. Any idiot can spot gandiseeg when wrapped in a cotton wool safety net. Pathetic.

Sorry. Back on topic.

3 x 1 = 3 as an alt in round 9 (out of time).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote:What's the consensus opinion about the addition of gravel traps and the compulsory wearing of crash helmets?

I know the Harry Mulvey fatality in that freak consonant accident was a tragedy for all concerned, but if you eliminate all the risks entirely then the very nature of the game changes. Banning letters rounds completely was just typical of the modern molly coddled nanny state world we live in. Fear of death was what made those pressure conundrums so special. Any idiot can spot gandiseeg when wrapped in a cotton wool safety net. Pathetic.

Sorry. Back on topic.

3 x 1 = 3 as an alt in round 9 (out of time).
I don't mind most of those changes. After all, the game have moved on since 2014 or whenever. People are regularly posting much higher scores, and back then players were seen as "the best ever" just for maxing three games in a row. Nowadays you need to max an entire octorun just to pass the audition. And higher scores = higher danger. The only thing I take issue with is having a separate buzzer for "the standard method" in the numbers games. How do we really know they've solved it?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

How the hell did Frank Rodolf not make the final?! :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :?: :!: :roll: :twisted: :cry:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

(utilising my executive veto)
Last edited by Mark Deeks on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

What was wrong with the old white on blue displays? Can't stand those hideous yellowy-green seven-segment digital things they're using now.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is it really necessary to have Carol Vorderman's head on a spike displayed in the corner of the studio? It was always a bit mysterious how she died anyway, and then the "agreement" to have the rights to display her head in such a manner does not seem something that you'd expect her family to have willingly entered into.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Was it just me or did the audience member who solved the numbernundrum look familiar? Off-spring of any forumites?
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....