Monday 13th October 2014 (series 71, prelim 64)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Monday 13th October 2014 (series 71, prelim 64)

Post by Andy McGurn »

Countdown recap for Monday 13 October 2014.

C1: Champion Dan McColm (3 wins, 317 points) He had three wins last week including a couple of century scores, Nick says he trusts that Dan had a relaxing weekend to which Dan replies that he did not.

C2: Challenger John Vivian. A researcher for the church army who he has a cocker spaniel called Oscar who predicted some of the world cup games this year. John seems nervous during the introductions.

DC: Susie Dent and Richard Arnold.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: R T P A U E R O E
R02: J N F W A U E S H
R03: 10, 8, 75, 50, 100, 25. Target: 679.
TTT: SOFTPOET - "a thousand mile journey starts with this"
R04: V T D M A E I L O
R05: B P N I A U X E S
R06: 7, 5, 1, 8, 100, 25. Target: 143.
R07: C R P A U E D U A
R08: S K S T E A I R Q
R09: 5, 6, 1, 10, 3, 25. Target: 942.
TTT: MOREOFUS - "theres definitely more than three of us playing golf"
R10: R D S C A I A I E
R11: N V T O I A C E O
R12: G L P L E I O R I
R13: G Y E R O L I T F
R14: 1, 7, 9, 8, 100, 50. Target: 717.
R15: R I G I D V E N T (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: R T P A U E R O E

Dan: PERORATE (8)
John: RAPTURE (7)
DC: APERTURE (8)
Score: 8–0 (max 8)

A max in the first gets Dan off to a winning start, John’s seven is a nice one though (and appropriate for a church person).

Round 2: J N F W A U E S H

Dan: UNSAFE (6)
John: UNSAFE (6)
DC: JEANS (5)
OT: WHENUA (6)
Score: 14–6 (max 14)

UNSAFE is very safe for both contestants as they both get the max here.

Round 3: 10, 8, 75, 50, 100, 25. Target: 679.

Dan: 680. (75+10)*8) (7)
John: 680. (75+10)*8) (7)
Score: 21–13 (max 21)

Its seven points each for the apterites but that’s enough to put their answers in bold type

Teatime teaser: SOFTPOET -> FOOTSTEP

Round 4: V T D M A E I L O

Dan: VOMITED (7)
John: MOTILE (6)
DC: VIOLATED (8) DOVETAIL (8)
Score: 28–13 (max 29)

It’s a surprising miss for Dan as you wouldn’t expect him to miss either DOVETAIL or VIOLATED, but he still increases his lead by seven has he has VOMITED ahead of John on this round

Round 5: B P N I A U X E S

Dan: UNISEX (6)
John: expians
DC: SUPINE (6)
OT: PUISNE (6)
Score: 34–13 (max 35)

John is probably already feeling the pressure as he goes for an extremely unlikely word. It may be that he did not even have a safe six so went for the seven after hearing Dan’s declaration.

Round 6: 7, 5, 1, 8, 100, 25. Target: 143.

Dan: 143. (7*5)+8+100 (10)
John: 143. (100+25)+((8+1)*(7-5)) (10)
Score: 44–23 (max 45)

Simple numbers game here, John (unnecessarily) uses all the numbers. Dan uses as few as possible

DC Guest – Richard talks about his time interviewing stars of the Monuments Men on the red carpet at the premier, including the fact that Bill Murray recognised him from his appearances on countdown

Round 7: C R P A U E D U A

Dan: APERCU (6)
John: PARADE (6)
OT: ARCADE (6) CARPED (6) PUDEUR (6) REDCAP (6)
Score: 50–29 (max 51)

I’m probably in the minority here, but I think its more impressive to get the regular words than the obscure words of the same length. So I gve more credit to John in this round.

Round 8: S K S T E A I R Q

Dan: ASTERISK (8)
John: SARKIEST (8)
DC: STREAKS (7)
Score: 58–37 (max 59)

Two nice eights here and between them the contestants spot them both.

Round 9: 5, 6, 1, 10, 3, 25. Target: 942.

Dan: 942. ((25*5)+10)*(6+1)-3 (10)
John: 944.
Score: 68–37 (max 69)

That’s an excellent solve by Dan, he is well on the way to another win here.

Teatime teaser: MOREOFUS -> FOURSOME

Round 10: R D S C A I A I E

Dan: SIDECAR (7)
John: RAISED (6)
DC: ARCADES (7) ASCARID (7)
OT: ACARIDS (7) AIRSIDE (7) CARDIAS (7) CARDIES (7) CARIADS (7) DAIRIES (7) DIARIES (7) DIARISE (7) RADICES (7)
Score: 75–37 (max 76)

Loads of sevens here but its just six for John and the game is pretty much over. He seemed nervous from the start and him missing the max here is a sign that those nerves have not gone away.

Round 11: N V T O I A C E O

Dan: CONATIVE (8)
John: NOVATE (6)
DC: EVOCATION (18)
Score: 83–37 (max 94)

Dan continues to pile on the points with CONATIVE, but its DC who spot the superb nine here.

OoW – Susie talks about some words that the meanings have changed significantly over time.

Round 12: G L P L E I O R I

Dan: GIRLIE (6)
John: gollier
DC: GRILLE (6)
OT: PIEROGI (7)
Score: 89–37 (max 101)

Once again, its an unlikely risk from John that is disallowed and its Dan who gets the points

Round 13: G Y E R O L I T F

Dan: GLORIFY (7)
John: GOITRE (6)
DC: LOFTIER (7) TREFOIL (7)
OT: FROGLET (7) TRILOGY (7)
Score: 96–37 (max 108)

Seven more for Dan and he’s on the verge of his third century in four games

Round 14: 1, 7, 9, 8, 100, 50. Target: 717.

Dan: 717. (100*7)+8+9 (10)
John: 717. (100*7)+8+9 (10)
Score: 106–47 (max 118)

And an easy final numbers game takes Dan over one hundred for the third time. I hope John has got some enjoyment from his appearance on the show, despite the loss.

Round 15: R I G I D V E N T

Dan buzzes on 3 seconds to say DIVERTING which is correct.
Final Score: 116–47 (max 128)

And with that conundrum solve Dan scores 116 out of 128. Judging by his antics so far on the show I would think he would be disappointed with that as he seems gutted if he doesn’t max every round. He should just be happy to be on the show really, as he’s been really lucky to be allowed back on after just three years, some people have had to wait a lot longer and some have never got to go back.

As for John he must have been disappointed that he was up against Dan and he did seem really nervous today. Hopefully he’ll have enjoyed being there and will be on again in early 2018.

Dan’s now halfway to being an octochampdom, keep following the recaps to see how his run continues…

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=71
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Re: Monday 13th October 2014 (series 71, prelim 64)

Post by Dan McColm »

Fair point. I am very happy to be back on the show, as I made clear to Damian before recording. I wasn't disappointed with today's performance, I thought I was very solid. Some of my behaviour in the last week was poor, though, and I apologise for that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think people read too much into people's behaviour sometimes.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

THIS IS NOT FAIR
THESE RECAPS ARE MEANT TO BE 100% POSITIVE IN RESPECT TO THE PLAYERS as it is their "TIME TO SHINE"

THE SPOILERS FORUM AND THESE COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS HERE IF YOU WANT TO DELIVER YOUR PERSONAL OPINION
NOT on the recap.....................

but that's just my "PERSONAL OPINION" which I have displayed in "THE SPOILERS FORUM" or "THESE COMMENTS" which is where "PERSONAL OPINION"s should LIVE

sidenote: great game, unlucky dan for being ILL, it's a shame that people sitting in the comfort of their own homes whilst in full health are having a negative attitude towards the way you've presented yourself... but unlike these forums you cannot SCRIPT live performance, you cannot BACKSPACE comments that were made to be INNOCENT and have simply been MISREAD...

but that's just my "PERSONAL OPINION" which I have displayed in "THE SPOILERS FORUM" or "THESE COMMENTS" which is where "PERSONAL OPINION"s should LIVE
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

George, is it okay to ask here if you are fucking mental, or should I do that in the spoilers thread?
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

I don't understand your question, but I will have a shot at an ANSWER, to give you a sense of closure:

FOR one, it is not OK to ask me if I am, as you put, 'fucking mental', as this is TECHNICALLY a criminal offence under the Communications Act 2003, section 127:
A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b)causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

THIS is what has confused me, as the situation would be THE SAME no matter WHERE you published this statement... SO asking me, a child, protected citizen, WHERE you can commit this criminal offense is rather bewildering to say the least...

ALSO, your choice of "OR SHOULD I DO THAT IN THE SPOILERS THREAD?" is also quite confusing... THE DESCRIPTION for the spoilers thread section of this forum reads: "Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel."
--
THIS also has me dumbstruck as the question you have PROPOSED has neither "happened in recent games", "beat Dictionary Corner" or "evaded Rachel."...

SO, Jon Corby, MY conclusion is this: NO, to both of your queries.
I am sensing that you may be slightly confused, as there really isn't any other means for you to post such a simply uneducated post, so I will allow you leave of this conversation, and I will not press charges, in hope that you will reflect on your wrongdoings and will return to the community a rehabilitated and refined forumite.

All the best,
George
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sheesh, you could have just said "yes".
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Jon Corby wrote:Sheesh, you could have just said "yes".
His last post convinced me he is Mr Logic from Viz.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fred Mumford wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Sheesh, you could have just said "yes".
His last post convinced me he is Mr Logic from Viz.
HATSTAND
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

But anyway I would tend to agree that the actual recap post shouldn't have attacks in. It should be more neutral. Plus I wouldn't agree with the particular comment anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:But anyway I would tend to agree that the actual recap post shouldn't have attacks in. It should be more neutral. Plus I wouldn't agree with the particular comment anyway.
"Attacks" FFS? That's a bit hysterical.

I like recaps with a bit of personality, character and opinion in them. Andy's perfectly entitled to write whatever he likes, IMO he's nowhere near the boundary of what's acceptable, but obviously that will vary from person to person.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:But anyway I would tend to agree that the actual recap post shouldn't have attacks in. It should be more neutral. Plus I wouldn't agree with the particular comment anyway.
"Attacks" FFS? That's a bit hysterical.

I like recaps with a bit of personality, character and opinion in them. Andy's perfectly entitled to write whatever he likes, IMO he's nowhere near the boundary of what's acceptable, but obviously that will vary from person to person.
"Hysterical"? That's positively schizophrenic!

I just thought it was an unnecessary dig at the end of the recap. People can obviously post what they want (even if it's wrong) but if it was me I probably would have put it in a different post rather than in the canonical version of the game's events.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You're wrong. And if I were Andy, I'd be making sure to call you a dick in my next recap.