Bash Week

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Bash Week

Post by Ben Wilson »

Congratulations to Innis on winning tonight's bash and to Hugh on winning overall on 26 wins out of 45, 5777 points scored and 5585 against, with Innis second on 21 wins out of 25, 3636 scored and 2617 against, and Lloyd Pettet 3rd on 12 wins out of 15, 2103 points scored and 1889 against.

Overall Bash Week wasn't quite the success I was hoping for- 22 people in total played in the bashes which was about what I was aiming for but with only 4-6 people usually playing in each bash the draws seemed somewhat anaemic. A lot of people registered an interest/said they'd be along for particular bashes or the week in general but in the end didn't play, which is always frustrating for an organiser.

If I do another Bash Week- which I probably won't if I'm honest- chnges will definitely be made- 4 games per bash instead of 5 for starters, most people seemed to baulk at the thought of two hours on apterous- and some of the more bizarre variants were perhaps a bit too bizarre for some people. Perhaps next time instead of letters/numbers/conundrum attacks I'll just do 15-rounders instead.

Anyways, bring on the Summer Open!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I think missing the first bash (because of Eurovision :evil: ) totally removed my motivation to take part. I know part of the point was that you didn't have to play all of them, but to have a shot at winning the thing you really would need to, and each individual 'bash' didn't seem worth it to me for the effort of making sure I was around to take part. I think that's my thinking, at any rate.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:I think missing the first bash (because of Eurovision :evil: ) totally removed my motivation to take part. I know part of the point was that you didn't have to play all of them, but to have a shot at winning the thing you really would need to, and each individual 'bash' didn't seem worth it to me for the effort of making sure I was around to take part. I think that's my thinking, at any rate.
One rule I had in mind for this one was to actually forbid people from playing in all of them, say let them have a maxmimum of 7 and force them to sit two out. I dropped it as it seemed a little harsh to deny people who really wanted to play the chance to do so but perhaps during the theoretical next time round... As Ian also pointed out in aptochat it really wasn't the right time of year to do this- unfortunately picking a time of year when a tournament isn't going on/in the planning stages is increasingly difficult.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Thank you for putting so much effort into organizing this, Ben; a really enjoyable few evenings of something different. :D My favourite was probably Bash 3 (the Nastynums), made more enjoyable at least partly because there were a lot of people in it. I think you got a little bit unlucky with the good weather on other days.

P.S. I think Innis got 21 wins out of 25, not 5.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I appreciate the effort too Ben even though I hate conundrums.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I think missing the first bash (because of Eurovision :evil: ) totally removed my motivation to take part. I know part of the point was that you didn't have to play all of them, but to have a shot at winning the thing you really would need to, and each individual 'bash' didn't seem worth it to me for the effort of making sure I was around to take part. I think that's my thinking, at any rate.
One rule I had in mind for this one was to actually forbid people from playing in all of them, say let them have a maxmimum of 7 and force them to sit two out. I dropped it as it seemed a little harsh to deny people who really wanted to play the chance to do so but perhaps during the theoretical next time round... As Ian also pointed out in aptochat it really wasn't the right time of year to do this- unfortunately picking a time of year when a tournament isn't going on/in the planning stages is increasingly difficult.
You could just score it differently, with less emphasis on turning up.