What did you do with your extra hour?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Well?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Sleep
No votes
Leisure
15%
Work
31%
"Sleep" (ie nobbing)
8%
Something Halloweeny
8%
I got a head start on those lazy fuckers having an extra hour in bed
No votes
Pencil-mining session on Apterous
8%
Other
31%

Total votes: 13

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

What did you do with your extra hour?

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I got some flowers for mi lady and looked at wedding rings. What did you use your extra hour for today?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: What did you do with your extra hour?

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm the sad bastard that ticked 'work'. Gave my PC a thorough overhaul, mass file deletion, disk cleanup, defrag, the lot. Set it going overnight fo wound up only getting 7 hours of sleep- extra hour or not- but I've got tomorrow off work so it's all good in the end. :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Played an extra hour of computer games, whilst still being able to get up comfortably at 11.55 for the footie. Ballin' :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I live in a different timezone you insensitive clod.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Wilson wrote:I'm the sad bastard that ticked 'work'. Gave my PC a thorough overhaul, mass file deletion, disk cleanup, defrag, the lot.
Haha, that is not work. I like your style though. I fill my to-do list with this kind of vital 'work' every day to make me feel less guilty about minimal jobhunting.

I ticked work (real though) and "Sleep", i.e. knobbing/nobbing, though sadly the balance wasn't 50/50 by any means.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Matt Morrison wrote:["Sleep", i.e. knobbing/nobbing, though sadly the balance wasn't 50/50 by any means.
Wait till you guys have got a 4yo - then clock changes will mean nothing :lol: :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I murdered someone at 1:30. Someone saw me do it and reported me to the police but I had proof that I was somewhere else at 1:30.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

It didn't let me vote (again). Anyway I spent my hour going round changing 13 bloody clocks - except the cooker which I couldn't be bothered to change last time and so it is now right.
I also vented my opinion about changing the bloody clocks at all and would welcome some success this time to the parliamentary efforts to keep BST all the year round and sod the farmers in the far north!
Shame to lose the famous 'Greenwich Meantime' but progress is progress.
(Apparently there are more road accidents in the evening anyway so a bit of dark in the morning is not so bad.)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

John Bosley wrote:I also vented my opinion about changing the bloody clocks at all and would welcome some success this time to the parliamentary efforts to keep BST all the year round and sod the farmers in the far north!
I understood that object of the private member's bill is to move to Central European Time, which would mean that we would still change our clocks twice a year, except for the one occasion when we make the switch to CET.

A further observation on the proposal. During the two year experiment in the early 70s, many people (in fact just about everyone with whom I came into contact) hated the dark mornings in the winter. It was very depressing travelling to work in darkness, and I was wasn't in the north then - I was working in London at the time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I shook a bucket to collect money from the crowd that were watching last night's Sammhuin performance on the Royal Mile. My girlfriend was performing, she only got in at the same time as I was getting up for work this morning, the dirty stop-out :)

Edit: I took the hour last night of course, much more useful than on a Saturday.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I still say we should stick with GMT all the time, even if I'm in the minority. It has much more aesthetic appeal to me, since midnight and midday would have some meaning. Most of the UK is to the west of Greenwich anyway, so an argument could be made for going the other way.

But I've always thought that if people want to make more use of daylight, then why have things at times when it's darker? People might not like the idea of starting work at 8 instead of 9 (or whenever) but by moving the clocks an hour forward, they'd be starting work at the same early time but just calling it something different.

And you have to wonder why we ended up with a system that didn't make best use of daylight in the first place so that the clocks need "correcting". Humans are seen as diurnal creatures rather than nocturnal, but animals don't have to lie at one extreme or the other. In GMT, someone who sleeps an average of seven hours and is strictly diurnal would get up at 3:30am and go to bed at 8:30pm. No-one does this (hardly anyone anyway). I think it would be interesting to do some studies, but I think that when you put the clocks forward, you could be putting people's body clocks in a less than optimal position.

I've often heard people saying that teenagers should be starting school at 10:00 because of their natural body clocks. If that's 10:00 GMT, then in BST it would be 11:00 and if people are suggesting going forward one hour from BST in the summer, they'd be starting at 12:00 noon!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I've often heard people saying that teenagers should be starting school at 10:00 because of their natural body clocks. If that's 10:00 GMT, then in BST it would be 11:00 and if people are suggesting going forward one hour from BST in the summer, they'd be starting at 12:00 noon!
Precisely this. By switching to BST all year round some parts of the UK like Northern Ireland would have sunrise in December at some ridiculous time like 9:40. Some days I start work at 8am and that's depressing enough as it is in winter months, I don't need an extra hour of it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I've often heard people saying that teenagers should be starting school at 10:00 because of their natural body clocks. If that's 10:00 GMT, then in BST it would be 11:00 and if people are suggesting going forward one hour from BST in the summer, they'd be starting at 12:00 noon!
Precisely this. By switching to BST all year round some parts of the UK like Northern Ireland would have sunrise in December at some ridiculous time like 9:40. Some days I start work at 8am and that's depressing enough as it is in winter months, I don't need an extra hour of it.
Yep, I much prefer sunset at 3pm here in Edinburgh rather than sunrise at 10am.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I was on holiday In the US earlier this year. Arizona does not have daylight saving time, though the surrounding states do. The Navajo tribal lands in Arizona do, but the Hopi lands within the Navajo lands don't. You have neighbouring streets in a small town that are on the same time, but only for half the year.

So just start your own time zone.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Knowing the extra hour would be there in the morning, I turned in an hour later than usual on Saturday (trying to sort a problem on this machine - unsuccessfully :( :roll: )
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

My drink induced comatose state was sheltered by the dismal day for an hour but I felt no more the better for its delay.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Love that no-one (so far) got a head start :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

which one is the extra one?
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Realized I had an extra hour to sleep, so stayed up an hour later.