Scrabble champion makes national news

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Scrabble champion makes national news

Post by Gavin Chipper »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11662754

(Transsexual wins national championship)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Scrabble champion makes national news

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Haha great. She should go on Countdown!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

At least we know what's become of Stewart Holden now.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Good to see Countdown getting a mention with the venerable Mr. Nyman!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:Less salacious version.
So Mark's last play in Game 5 - was that a complete punt since he knew he'd lose otherwise?

Edit: On closer inspection I realise he had two stabs at it - anyone know what he thought he was going for?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Less salacious version.
Less salacious than bbc.co.uk? They aren't exactly renowned for their salacity.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Michael Wallace wrote:So Mark's last play in Game 5 - was that a complete punt since he knew he'd lose otherwise?

Edit: On closer inspection I realise he had two stabs at it - anyone know what he thought he was going for?
I think invalid words aren't automatically disallowed; the opponent has to challenge them. Furthermore, in some tournaments there might be a points penalty attached to an incorrect challenge. Assuming that's the case in this tournament, this is what might have happened: Mark needed a high scoring word to win, so played PINYVOLTHIN and hoped Mikki wouldn't know it was invalid. After it was successfully challenged, Mark played PINYVILTHON hoping to convince Mikki it was a valid word and he'd just spelt it wrong the first time.

A Scrabbler could probably explain it better or correct me if I've got it wrong.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So Mark's last play in Game 5 - was that a complete punt since he knew he'd lose otherwise?

I think invalid words aren't automatically disallowed; the opponent has to challenge them. Furthermore, in some tournaments there might be a points penalty attached to an incorrect challenge. Assuming that's the case in this tournament, this is what might have happened: Mark needed a high scoring word to win, so played PINYVOLTHIN and hoped Mikki wouldn't know it was invalid. After it was successfully challenged, Mark played PINYVILTHON hoping to convince Mikki it was a valid word and he'd just spelt it wrong the first time.

A Scrabbler could probably explain it better or correct me if I've got it wrong.
Well Mark knows it will get challenged, so that's not really an issue. Also in a more general situation your opponent could inadvertently set up a big scoring bonus after they challenge your guessed word off.

Scrabblers don't know that many 11 letter words, so there's an above zero chance that your guess will turn out to be a valid word.