Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th January

Post by Ben Wilson »

Evening all

Entries are now open for COLIN 2011- the seventh annual COLIN, and shaping up to be the biggest and the best yet! The format will be unchanged- everyone plays six games of 9-round Countdown and hosts three more- but the surroundings this year are different. St. Hugh's- COLIN's home since 2007- is unavailable, so for 2011 COLIN will be at the Memorial Hall on Newark Road in North Hykeham, which is just down the road from the post-COLIN pub, something I'm sure everyone will appreciate!

There'll be prizes for the top 5 as always, with two additional 'ratings' prizes and a couple of extra-silly spot prizes, more of which will be revealed later...

The itinerary is unchanged from last year- game 1 kicks off at 11:30, then we have some lunch, then play through until about 5:30 when I give out the prizes and everyone goes and gets hammered. The hall will be open from 9:00 though, so there'll be plenty of opportunity for impromptu warm-up games as well as the 'official' exhibition match, which this year will have a bit of a twist to it...

As always, entry will be a mere £8, payable in advance either by paypal to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com or by cheque to my home address (available upon request).

Hope to see you all in January!

BJW
COLIN 2011 facebook event page

Current list of paid-up entrants:

Jon O'Neill
Kirk Bevins
Paul Howe
Jack Hurst
James Robinson
Matt Bayfield
Lesley Hines
Jon Corby
Ryan Taylor
Richard Priest
Kai Laddiman
Mike Brown
Lee Fisher
Jim Bentley
Matt Morrison
Heather Badcock
Rob Foster
Phil Collinge
Supee Juachan
Josh Hurst
Stewart Gordon
Tom Rowell
Dan Harris
Joseph Krol
Gevin Chapwell
Paul Thompson
Mark Tournoff
Dominic Gallagher
Adam Fleetwood
Amie Bateen

Total: 30
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th January

Post by James Robinson »

After missing this year's due to "other commitments", I'm more than happy to say "yes" this time.

So, I'm IN. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Will pay shortly.

EDIT: SENT. ;)
Last edited by James Robinson on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

in
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

In.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Yes please, although technophobe that I am, I don't have paypal (or facebook). Ben, could you please PM or e-mail me your current address, and I'll bung you a cheque. I think I may already have your address on something Scrabble-related, but if you could confirm, that'd be fab.
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

I don't think I'll be able to come because of the dreaded £ logo :shock:

£8pounds. :P
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Fiiiiiiiiinally one on a date I can make :D Please whack me down as a yes - himself's off to a pool CoC in Yarmouth soon so fair's only fair. Pictures of the queen to follow in due course.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Hi Ben,
Can you let me have your postal address too. Thanks. :)
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Inpaid.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

In
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

If you're going to split the information between here and Facebook, don't you think there needs to be a link there here?

Also, is there a maximum number of attendees? Me and Badcock are 75-95% definite about attending as long as we are still together and things aren't really awkward because I'm going out with Joyce Phillips and she's taking regular cock from Kirk Bevins.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:If you're going to split the information between here and Facebook, don't you think there needs to be a link there here?
haha - Charlie, is there some history between you and Stewart Gordon? Cos, like, someone coming to that with no prior knowledge would probably say it's not him being the utter dick. Just saying.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:If you're going to split the information between here and Facebook, don't you think there needs to be a link there here?
haha - Charlie, is there some history between you and Stewart Gordon? Cos, like, someone coming to that with no prior knowledge would probably say it's not him being the utter dick. Just saying.
Um, would they? You're not approaching this with no prior knowledge, you're approaching it with an insatiable desire to score points off me. So good work on that front, I guess. Stewart spent the run up Ben's last event demanding that Ben perform some completely non-urgent piece of administrative busywork, and always phrased in the most condescending possible manner, which is particularly jarring when it comes from someone who's never organised a single real or virtual event ever. Ben of course is too nice to tell him to stop being such a dick, but I'm quite happy to.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Um, would they? You're not approaching this with no prior knowledge, you're approaching it with an insatiable desire to score points off me. So good work on that front, I guess. Stewart spent the run up Ben's last event demanding that Ben perform some completely non-urgent piece of administrative busywork, and always phrased in the most condescending possible manner, which is particularly jarring when it comes from someone who's never organised a single real or virtual event ever. Ben of course is too nice to tell him to stop being such a dick, but I'm quite happy to.
I hardly ever try to score points off you!

Edit - Also, I was approaching it with no (or very little) prior knowledge of Stewart Gordon, and it just came across as a normal point, even if not worded the best way.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
This was about the time I started using c4c and posting and I remember seeing these posts and thinking what is wrong with this guy? And then I went to COLIN.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, is there a maximum number of attendees? Me and Badcock are 75-95% definite about attending as long as we are still together and things aren't really awkward because I'm going out with Joyce Phillips and she's taking regular cock from Kirk Bevins.
The capacity for COLIN 2011 is about 60 players, which to be fair I'm hardly likely to hit, so feel free to take your time.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

James Robinson wrote:After missing this year's due to "other commitments", I'm more than happy to say "yes" this time.

Will pay shortly.

Good luck James!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
James Robinson wrote:After missing this year's due to "other commitments", I'm more than happy to say "yes" this time.

Will pay shortly.

Good luck James!
I seem to be a sucker for giving "Likes" to anyone who says "Good luck James" at the moment. :lol:

Still no word from Perfection yet though, although it probably won't be for another week, if I have even passed the audition.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:

Will pay shortly.

Good luck James!
I seem to be a sucker for giving "Likes" to anyone who says "Good luck James" at the moment. :lol:

Still no word from Perfection yet though, although it probably won't be for another week, if I have even passed the audition.
I'm optimistic for you and have faith you will make it!
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Let's get this gig up to 60.

Come on, the French do waaay better than us :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan, you have sent £8.00 GBP to Benjemin.

Edit: On the condition that we don't kick footballs at my head. ;)
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Charlie Reams wrote:Stewart spent the run up Ben's last event demanding that Ben perform some completely non-urgent piece of administrative busywork,
What "completely non-urgent piece of administrative busywork" are you referring to?
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Edit: On the condition that we don't kick footballs at my head. ;)
I'm gonna buy Madame Poire-fils some chocolate eclairs. ;)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jeff Clayton wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Edit: On the condition that we don't kick footballs at my head. ;)
I'm gonna buy Madame Poire-fils some chocolate eclairs. ;)
Won't be there. :( Off on my annual mega-holiday which, this time, will be including the trip to Costa Rica (as mentioned on The Chase) to see the sea turtles hatching (amongst other things).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'll be there :)
Karen Pearson wrote:Won't be there. :( Off on my annual mega-holiday which, this time, will be including the trip to Costa Rica (as mentioned on The Chase) to see the sea turtles hatching (amongst other things).
Wrong thread
Yeah I stole this joke off Jono who used it a few weeks ago.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

In which case, I motion Neb to award an honorary The-Karen-Pearson-chocolate-eclairs prize.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jeff Clayton wrote:In which case, I motion Neb to award an honorary The-Karen-Pearson-chocolate-eclairs prize.
Sadly all the prizes I've got so far would leave too noticeable a dent in the winner's skull when I 'present' them with it.

In other news, my Scrabble commitments are done for the year so it's next stop: COLIN. If you've told me you're entering, either here or on facebook (link in OP for those who were wondering), now's the time to get your £8 to me so I can add your name to the list at the top there.

Okay, with 60 spaces this year there's not really any rush, but the earlier I know how many Co:Lon-inspired freebies to order, the better. :)
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I'll be there :)
££?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Oh shit! Sorry mate I totally spaced even when you sent me that text. Will text you later to let you know it's in the post.

D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Entered :)

I hope Conor or Eoin can go...
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Entered :)

I hope Conor or Eoin can go...
Yay, afraid I can't, it's a real shame, not hard at all for me to go to these things. :P
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

As you can see from the top of the page, spaces are slowly but surely filling up- with 50 spaces left there's no real rush, but the sooner you get your entry fee to me the sooner your mind (and mine!) is set at ease.

I've been picking up the odd prize here and there, as well as buying/making the first two bits of the official COLIN 2011 goody bag... which will, of course, remain secret until the day itself.

Payment details/link to the facebook page is at the top of the page- sadly, other commitments mean I won't be able to attend CoLei ( :-( ) or the finals recordings later this year ( :-( :-( ) so I won't be able to take payments there. if enough people post me their payments though, I may award a prize for the best Christmas Card I receive...

115 days* and counting...

*To COLIN, not Christmas
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I hope Conor or Eoin can go...
Paedophile.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Good grief... if I were the type to get easily scared... that list of 10 confirmed entrants so far would be terrifying!

This already looks like it could be the strongest field ever for a Co-event. On the plus side, this means I'll get the opportunity to upset a higher ranked player in almost every round! ;-)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie's going? :o

I thought he was in the USA!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Charlie's going? :o

Yeah, but he'll be back by January, I would think. Well, I'm sure he's not stupid enough to book himself in if he's still across the pond :!:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Charlie's going? :o

Yeah, but he'll be back by January, I would think. Well, I'm sure he's not stupid enough to book himself in if he's still across the pond :!:
But he is gay enough to say he was coming this year and then not turn up 'cos he was "ill". That put a whole downer on 2010 for me of which I am only just getting over.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Provisionally In. All depends if I will be able to get the time off Uni though.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Jack,

At University you can do whatever you want, especially at weekends.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Dent wrote:Jack,

Wish I could like this post.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Ben Wilson wrote:Other commitments mean I won't be able to attend CoLei ( :-( ) so I won't be able to take payments there.
We will all plug CoLin immensely to each other on your behalf.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Saturday lectures, which by extension means you can't tell a supervisor "oh, I can't meet on that day because I'm not going to be in town".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian,

Cambridge is weird.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Oh.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I've updated the list of entrants- there are only 12 fully paid-up so far but there's still a good three months to go. If you're still undecided, feel free to have a look at forum threads of past COLINs and the feedback of the entrants- 2008, 2009 and 2010. Feel free to look at my facebook photos for each event too- 2008, 2009 and 2010.

If you're interested, don't hesitate to send me a private message or drop me an email (or even £8, I'll be quite happy with that too). If you got your first taste of tourney play at CoLeiii and decided you want more, COLIN should be your next stop!
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

If you got your first taste of tourney play at CoLeiii and decided you want more, COLIN should be your next stop!
And we should also point out that the CoLin format is quite different, so reel 'em in Wilson!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Evening all

The list of entrants is now up to date. If your name isn't on the list but it should be, do let me know so I can rectify the error. To reiterate the opening post, I accept payment by paypal to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com or to my home address (available on request).

There will be loads of prizes for players of all abilities as well as several fun spot prizes, so there'll be plenty to play for even if your name isn't Kirk Bevan. Whether this is your seventh COLIN or your first, treat yourself to a fun day in the company of some of the show's most recognisable names past, present and future- and all for just £8!

See you in January!
Anna Woodward

Post by Anna Woodward »

I get my exam timetable on friday so I'll wait ill then to confirm but I should be able to make it.
:lol:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Im in and i'll bring me own C4
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:Im in and i'll bring me own C4
Is that the car you drive?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If I didn't trigger a mass exodus (and I leave my cable cutters and step ladder behind) could I enter if i paid me money.
I will be bringing my own lunch (an orange in a clear plastic bag.)
Apropos to nothing is DoD coming lolza.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Marc Meakin wrote:If I didn't trigger a mass exodus (and I leave my cable cutters and step ladder behind) could I enter if i paid me money.
I definitely am now.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:If I didn't trigger a mass exodus (and I leave my cable cutters and step ladder behind) could I enter if i paid me money.
I definitely am now.
Only if I get a green light tho. (I'm concerned that the Ginger clique might veto me or bottle it)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Marc Meakin wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
I definitely am now.
Only if I get a green light tho. (I'm concerned that the Ginger clique might veto me or bottle it)
As far as forum rivalries go COLIN can be considered neutral ground. You pay your money, you get your entry whether you've got ginger hair or a knack/habit for telling atrocious jokes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:As far as forum rivalries go COLIN can be considered neutral ground. You pay your money, you get your entry whether you've got ginger hair or a knack/habit for telling atrocious jokes.
Death threats are fine too as long as they're backed up by puns.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Sign us both up please Ben.

Life's too short not to be doing this.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Anyone staying in Lincoln on the Friday or Saturday night?

Hotel recommendations would be appreciated (preferably somewhere next door to the pub).
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Collinge wrote:Anyone staying in Lincoln on the Friday or Saturday night?

Hotel recommendations would be appreciated (preferably somewhere next door to the pub).
I'm probably going too.

Would love recommendations too. ;) :) :D
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Last year we stayed in the Lincoln Thorpe on the Hill Travelodge.

It was ok, and pretty close to the pub, although I believe we have a new and exciting venue this year, so I don't know how that changes it.

At the moment they're advertising rooms for £32.50, although that may change closer to the time.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So if one were to pay £2.50 extra for the food, what is there?