School Fees

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

John Bosley
Enthusiast

School Fees

Post by John Bosley »

Jeff Stelling mentioned the other day that he has these to pay. I was a bit surprised, but there you go, we are all different.
Of course, he would save money if he used the state system (like most of us) and his kids would still get a good education - unless he is buying some sort of future privilege for them. :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: School Fees

Post by Ryan Taylor »

:shock:
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Ryan Taylor wrote::shock:

at me or him ?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

John Bosley wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote::shock:

at me or him ?
Just at this thread, I guess.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Bosley wrote:if he used the state system (like most of us) and his kids would still get a good education
I had always assumed you live in Britain.
John Bosley wrote:unless he is buying some sort of future privilege for them. :)
So you're arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to use their wealth to provide their kids with better food, housing, toys or anything else that might enhance their prospects? Good luck with that!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Bosley wrote:if he used the state system (like most of us) and his kids would still get a good education
I had always assumed you live in Britain.
Posh boys in the thread.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

My mum had to pay £60 a year for my school fees so I could have the privilege of being taught by brothers. I told a workmate in Cardiff I was taught by brothers and he said "what?! like Samuel L. Jackson?" That'd be worth £60 of anyone's money.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Bosley wrote:unless he is buying some sort of future privilege for them. :)
So you're arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to use their wealth to provide their kids with better food, housing, toys or anything else that might enhance their prospects? Good luck with that!
I think I was just talking about education, which is why I called the thread 'school fees'. To put it in a nustshell, I am opposed to private education. I do not say it should be banned, but it should not be supported by the tax-payer - like giving Eton (and others) charity status.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

If all the children now at private schools were put back into the state sector, compulsorily or otherwise, then the cost to the taxpayer in educating them would be greater than the charitable benefit per child that the taxpayer now pays.

As for the schools Jeff's children would have to attend, how do you know they're any good? Bearing in mind he might be in one of those randomly allocating districts, the children may have been landed with one of the sink schools even if they live close to a good one. Not all comprehensives in this country are good - that's a myth, and not a very widespread one at that.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Are public schools actually cost-free to attend there? I attended public schools here, but I can remember having to pay fees at the start of the school year. (Something more like $50, not quite £60, and certainly a lot less than a private school, but.) (Actually, I just checked the website of my old HS, and fees are $35, plus extra things like art or shop or driver's ed.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Bosley wrote: I do not say it should be banned, but it should not be supported by the tax-payer - like giving Eton (and others) charity status.
Okay, but that's completely different to what you said before.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Andrew Feist wrote:Are public schools actually cost-free to attend there? I attended public schools here, but I can remember having to pay fees at the start of the school year. (Something more like $50, not quite £60, and certainly a lot less than a private school, but.) (Actually, I just checked the website of my old HS, and fees are $35, plus extra things like art or shop or driver's ed.)

Andrew, forgive me if you already know this but the jargon used here can be a bit confusing.

The term 'public school' in the UK actually refers to a private or fee-paying school. The alternative is a state school and this is indeed 'free'. Of course, it isn't really free in that we all pay for it through our taxes (in the same way we pay for the NHS). You do have to pay for extras such as school trips but it IS essentially free.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

11+, anyone?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Just noticed this thread so thought I'd give my experience as an alumnus of 2 private schools....

Of the 2 I attended (we weren't that well-off btw, it was through the assisted places scheme) one of them was crap, and definitely not worth the fees IMO. Half the teachers were either unwilling or unable to teach properly, they seemed incapable of recognising and dealing with bullying (as I know to my own cost) and some of them were no better than bullies themselves. IMO the standard of education in certain subjects was probably little better (if at all) than that on offer in state schools. The other school, meanwhile, was far superior to the first, with a higher standard of education and a firm-but-fair approach to discipline. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone local who was thinking of sending their kids there.

It's worth bearing in mind also that standards of education aren't the only factor to consider - a child's social development is very important too. The school I hated was very small - usually one class per year and about 15 kids per class - so there wasn't a wide range of kids of a similar age to mix with. Factor into this the inverted snobbery and ostracisation that inevitably comes from living in an ordinary street where all the other kids go to state schools, and you end up like I was in my teens - a very lonely and isolated kid. (This is not intended as a self-pitying rant btw - just a personal reflection and observation). In contrast, the other school was bigger with far more pupils, and I was much happier and felt like part of a wider social community.

I think my message would be that private education is not always all it's cracked up to be, and anyone thinking about it for their child(ren) needs to treat it as they would any other product they were paying for - shop around, and always make sure you're getting value for your money.Private schools can be great - but pick the right one.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jeff Clayton wrote:11+, anyone?
don't remind me
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

As a person who went to state Schools all of my life, I am now at a uni where a majority of the other students were either privately educated or went to selective school. I feel that this qualifies me to post in this topic. That is all.