Porridge

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

How do you do porridge?

I like my porridge the way I like my women - nothing added.
No votes
I like my porridge the way I like my women - mixed with syrup.
29%
I like my porridge the way I like my women - with fruit sprinkled on it.
No votes
I like my porridge the way I like my women - with something else.
50%
I like my porridge the way I like my women - nowhere near my mouth (because I don't like porridge).
21%

Total votes: 14

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Porridge

Post by Michael Wallace »

I just ate some porridge. It wasn't great, but it was a year past its best before, so that might be why. I only have porridge with syrup (except for those pre-made sachet ones that have varying 'flavours'), so what am I missing out on? As you can tell from the poll I am not particularly well versed in the ways of the porridge, so educate me.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Porridge

Post by Howard Somerset »

Michael Wallace wrote:As you can tell from the poll I am not particularly well versed in the ways of the porridge, so educate me.
I read it completely the other way. I took it that you were not particularly well versed in the ways of women.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I like my porridge sprinkled with plenty of sugar. I just sprinkle round the edge of the porridge (beacuse it literally fills the plate) and then a bit in the middle.

Just gorgeous. ;) :) :D :P
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Howard Somerset wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:As you can tell from the poll I am not particularly well versed in the ways of the porridge, so educate me.
I read it completely the other way. I took it that you were not particularly well versed in the ways of women.
Hmm, this would explain the screaming...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:I like my porridge sprinkled with plenty of sugar. I just sprinkle round the edge of the porridge (beacuse it literally fills the plate) and then a bit in the middle.

Just gorgeous. ;) :) :D :P
You have porridge on a plate? That is mental. Do you have toast in a bowl? Crumpets in a cup?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So three people have voted saying they have porridge with something else, and only one of them (thanks, James) has bothered to post saying what that something else is. :x :x :x
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:So three people have voted saying they have porridge with something else, and only one of them (thanks, James) has bothered to post saying what that something else is. :x :x :x
Cocaine. Not really, chocolate sauce, like that cheap stuff in a squeezy bottle what you might have on pancakes or something.This is based entirely on the last time I had porridge, when I was about 12. Seriously.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I like my porridge the way I like my women - with a Y chromosome :P
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So three people have voted saying they have porridge with something else, and only one of them (thanks, James) has bothered to post saying what that something else is. :x :x :x
Cocaine. Not really, chocolate sauce, like that cheap stuff in a squeezy bottle what you might have on pancakes or something.This is based entirely on the last time I had porridge, when I was about 12. Seriously.
Cool. I can remember trying chocolate in porridge thinking it would be tasty, and it was just kinda shit. I think CF likes it though.

I have a really weird relationship with porridge, kinda like what I was like with fish and chips when I was younger. I'll think "oh man, let's have some motherfucking porridge", and then about halfway through I'm just "eh, this is kinda shit, wish I hadn't bothered now". I think I must just make it wrong, though - when I was interning somewhere a few years ago the canteen had super cheap porridge so I'd usually have that for a mid-morning snack, and I remember it being pretty tasty (I had it practically every day). Of course, this might have just been a consequence of my desperation to get away from my desk at every opportunity.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

But you didn't ask!

To be a little more precise, though, in answering you poll question I said I like porridge with something else. I didn't say that I have porridge with something else.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm with James on this, if anything is to be added it should be sugar (demerara sugar preferably). Honey or golden syrup or similar is OK too.

Edit: Just remembered, I think it's traditional to sprinkle a bit of salt on too, isn't it?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Haven't had porridge in what seems like forever but I remember we always mixed it up with milk
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:Edit: Just remembered, I think it's traditional to sprinkle a bit of salt on too, isn't it?
Only if you're mad. I know someone who puts vegetables in his porridge and has it as a main meal.

I haven't had porridge for ages, but always use sugar.

By the way, I've heard that some people use water instead of milk. Is this true? That would be rubbish, surely.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Edit: Just remembered, I think it's traditional to sprinkle a bit of salt on too, isn't it?
Only if you're mad. I know someone who puts vegetables in his porridge and has it as a main meal.

By the way, I've heard that some people use water instead of milk. Is this true? That would be rubbish, surely.
Traditional Scots porridge is made with water and salt. It's actually surprisingly nice, and I'm someone who has it very sweet. Works well with fruit.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Traditional Scots porridge is made with water and salt. It's actually surprisingly nice, and I'm someone who has it very sweet. Works well with fruit.
Absolutely. I thought we were talking about porridge made with oats and water, not fucking Ready Brek.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Sugar mixed in and evaporated milk on the top.

Unless I'm dieting, then I just chop up a banana and add it before microwaving (to sweeten it instead of sugar). But that's pretty rubbish!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Karen Pearson wrote:Sugar mixed in and evaporated milk on the top.

Unless I'm dieting, then I just chop up a banana and add it before microwaving (to sweeten it instead of sugar). But that's pretty rubbish!
How many of you others who have replied just microwave your own porridge :?:

I actually make my own from scratch using a pan, etc. :idea:

As long as it's not too thin, it works a treat. :D :P
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James Robinson wrote:How many of you others who have replied just microwave your own porridge :?:

I actually make my own from scratch using a pan, etc. :idea:

As long as it's not too thin, it works a treat. :D :P
About two and a half minutes in the microwave and no extra washing up. No contest!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Traditional Scots porridge is made with water and salt. It's actually surprisingly nice, and I'm someone who has it very sweet. Works well with fruit.
Absolutely. I thought we were talking about porridge made with oats and water, not fucking Ready Brek.
I had porridge in Norwich* and they used milk. Case closed.

*This is actually true.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Traditional Scots porridge is made with water and salt. It's actually surprisingly nice, and I'm someone who has it very sweet. Works well with fruit.
I had porridge in Norwich* and they used milk. Case closed.

*This is actually true.
What about the bit saying they used milk? Is that true?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I had porridge in Norwich* and they used milk. Case closed.

*This is actually true.
Yes.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I had porridge in Norwich* and they used milk. Case closed.

*This is actually true.
Yes.
I'm personally sceptical that a case was even involved, let alone that it was closed. You've given such scant detail I'm starting to think it was just a turn of phrase.