Carol Vorderman's It All Counts

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Will You Buy Carol's Book?

Yes
4%
Probably
4%
Possibly
No votes
Possibly Not
No votes
Probably Not
16%
No
68%
Don't Care
8%

Total votes: 25

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Carol Vorderman's It All Counts

Post by James Robinson »

Just come across this extract from Carol Vorderman's autobiography, It All Counts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ds-newsxml

It does seem a pretty moving piece, although some of the comments from the Daily Mail readers below might disagree.

I wonder if anyone is planning on buying it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Carol Vorderman's It All Counts

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I read the article in my nan's Daily Mail, it was quite upsetting. More extracts to come this week. And apparently Davina McCall has encouraged her 7-year-old to take heroin.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:Carol thing
I hope I'm not the only one who finds that first picture of Carol terrifying.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Stopped reading after the first word.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I won't be buying her book. I find it difficult to believe her words about warmth for people. I tried striking up some perfectly normal conversation with her off-camera, and got a grunt in response.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jeff Clayton wrote:I won't be buying her book. I find it difficult to believe her words about warmth for people. I tried striking up some perfectly normal conversation with her off-camera, and got a grunt in response.
"A fart is not an answer." That's what we say in my family, you should have told her.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Saw that. Fair play to Rachel, she does look gorgeous in the photo :)
(That was the point of the article, yeah?)

There are some lols in the comments below. I think it's a shame: I liked Carol (apart from the curtseying). But seriously, I think it's time to move on. If she gets herself another job she can stop worrying about Countdown, and if she doesn't then maybe she should be more grateful for what she had when she had it. Just my opinion.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Carol wrote:As I was putting up the letters for the conundrum, I saw some of the crew start crying. I glanced at the board and at the conundrum, which was the nine-letter word

'CASSEROLE', jumbled up to read: 'ERA CLOSES'. I remember thinking: 'Don't look, Carol, don't look.'
Did she really put up the letters for the conundrum? That doesn't ring true to me, especially the idea that she was doing it just in the studio where the crew could see it too - I thought it was done in sort-of secret? Countdown insiders, tell us, tell us!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Carol wrote:As I was putting up the letters for the conundrum, I saw some of the crew start crying. I glanced at the board and at the conundrum, which was the nine-letter word

'CASSEROLE', jumbled up to read: 'ERA CLOSES'. I remember thinking: 'Don't look, Carol, don't look.'
Did she really put up the letters for the conundrum? That doesn't ring true to me, especially the idea that she was doing it just in the studio where the crew could see it too - I thought it was done in sort-of secret? Countdown insiders, tell us, tell us!
Also it seems unlikely that she could put up the letters without looking at them.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:

Stuff like this make it pretty obvious that it's badly ghost-written. This and the insipid prose.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Thank you James, that's finally cleared it up for me (I wouldn't have read it if you hadn't posted it).

It's cos her partner, Des Kelly, is a Daily Mail columnist.

Lordy it's a good thing they pointed that out. I was beginning to think the editor was stalking her, Taxi Driver-stylie. No other paper takes such a huge interest in her.

Feckin' nepotism.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I'm quite surprised to see the stack of vicious comments after each extract, all voted up many times over as well. She writes no worse than many other slebs and used to have quite a following, aside from Countdown.

Perhaps this forum has more Daily Mail readers than I thought.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I'm quite surprised to see the stack of vicious comments after each extract, all voted up many times over as well. She writes no worse than many other slebs and used to have quite a following, aside from Countdown.

Do you really think anybody from this forum is making those comments?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Another Carol interview, not with the Daily Mail, but with the Yorkshire Post.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features ... 6531615.jp

Probably not surprisingly, she says she doesn't watch the show any more.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:
Probably not surprisingly, she says she doesn't watch the show any more.
Why not? If you love the show that much you'd carry on watching surely? If you love the show that much you'd work for 100k a year, which is still an incredible amount of money. She clearly doesn't love it as much as she claims...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

She doesn't watch anymore because she couldn't handle Rachel pwning her at the numbers 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:She doesn't watch anymore because she couldn't handle Rachel pwning her at the numbers 8-)
I'll tell Jennifer Turner that it's OK now that the cool kids hate Carol.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:She doesn't watch anymore because she couldn't handle Rachel pwning her at the numbers 8-)
Yes, it's quite a TURNERound isn't it?
8-)

Surname comedy ftw
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Kirk Bevins wrote: If you love the show that much you'd carry on watching surely? If you love the show that much you'd work for 100k a year, which is still an incredible amount of money. She clearly doesn't love it as much as she claims...
Carol didn't refer to a salary - we only know that £100k is the going rate because it's been revealed in articles about RR - but talked about a 90pc pay cut. She (or rather, her agent) declined the offer and explained in the article that she saw no sense in taking that cut when she believed she had been doing the job so successfully for 26 years without issue.

The concept would strike a chord with lots of people, no doubt. But factor in that a 90pc cut takes you all the way down to the pithy depths of £100k... well, I suspect a lot of people can't relate to that.

Jeff
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:I'm quite surprised to see the stack of vicious comments after each extract, all voted up many times over as well. She writes no worse than many other slebs and used to have quite a following, aside from Countdown.

Do you really think anybody from this forum is making those comments?
Probably not. But on the assumption they aren't, whatever has Carol done to irritate so many people who don't give a toss about her attitude to Countdown. Why is she getting so much stick for a lachrymose autobiography that really is no worse than a hundred others.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:whatever has Carol done to irritate so many people who don't give a toss about her attitude to Countdown. Why is she getting so much stick for a lachrymose autobiography that really is no worse than a hundred others.
I would guess that her attraction is to people who admire someone who worked their way up from humble beginnings by using their talents and sheer hard work to achieve great success, while still appearing to be normal and grounded. Such people would not admire self-pitying whingers.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

David Williams wrote: I would guess that her attraction is to people who admire someone who worked their way up from humble beginnings by using their talents and sheer hard work to achieve great success, while still appearing to be normal and grounded. Such people would not admire self-pitying whingers.
Most people would have some sympathy for "someone who worked their way up from humble beginnings by using their talents and sheer hard work to achieve great success, while still appearing to be normal and grounded" and then fell on hard times. The whinging only seems excessive because the Mail, as always, chose to feature the whingy sections, and people who read the Mail should be accustomed to that - presumably they even approve of it.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:people who read the Mail should be accustomed to that - presumably they even approve of it.
I thought it was Daily Mail policy to automatically disapprove of everything? :lol:

As for some of the acrimony that's been awarded her in some of those comments, I think had she moved on to bigger and (hopefully) better things she'd be being viewed differently. Now it looks like someone who had already made a fortune turned down a £100k a year job, and now goes out to whinge publicly about how hard-done-by they are in the middle of a huge recession.

I hope she's able to move on - I'd've been far more interested to read her autobiography if the Countdown debacle were a difficult period in an otherwise glittering career, rather than being (it now seems) the culmination of a career bar random TV appearances that don't particularly suit her or her skill set.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Lesley Hines wrote:I hope she's able to move on - I'd've been far more interested to read her autobiography if the Countdown debacle were a difficult period in an otherwise glittering career, rather than being (it now seems) the culmination of a career bar random TV appearances that don't particularly suit her or her skill set.
She's still got the Pride of Britain Awards. She fits in well.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:She's still got the Pride of Britain Awards. She fits in well.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Lesley Hines wrote:As for some of the acrimony that's been awarded her in some of those comments, I think had she moved on to bigger and (hopefully) better things she'd be being viewed differently. Now it looks like someone who had already made a fortune turned down a £100k a year job, and now goes out to whinge publicly about how hard-done-by they are in the middle of a huge recession.

I hope she's able to move on - I'd've been far more interested to read her autobiography if the Countdown debacle were a difficult period in an otherwise glittering career, rather than being (it now seems) the culmination of a career bar random TV appearances that don't particularly suit her or her skill set.
Spot on.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Yes, it's quite a TURNERound isn't it?
8-)

Surname comedy ftw
Cor, by heck it is. It must also mean that it's cool to be bitter and jealous. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Cor, by heck it is. It must also mean that it's cool to be bitter and jealous. 8-)
Actually what happens is you stick up for someone cos they're on your favourite show, then you find out a load of stuff which makes you think they're a bit of a cunt.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Cor, by heck it is. It must also mean that it's cool to be bitter and jealous. 8-)
Actually what happens is you stick up for someone cos they're on your favourite show, then you find out a load of stuff which makes you think they're a bit of a cunt.
*Place Countdown contestant name here*

(I'm nice though obviously)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Speaking of Carol, here's a youtube clip of her on the old tv science series "Take Nobody's Word For it"
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvB3mjLcppg

Professor Ian Fells would probably make a good Countdown guest, as would Professor Heinz Wolff. :idea: