Good Word / Bad Word

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Good Word / Bad Word

Post by John Gillies »

A couple of days ago, in the Daily Duel, TAMPONADE was the max in one of the rounds. What a horrible, horrible word which conjures up all sorts of disturbing images and thoughts (at least in my warped mind). I drink a lot of Pink Lemonade - it'll never be the same again.

Although maybe Tamponade could be marketed to the Klingons as a non-alcoholic alternative to their beloved Bloodwine. Or maybe some people enjoy it as part of a hand-shandy.

On the other hand, ages ago while playing on Apterous, a lady (?!) came up with the 8 letter word, FROTTAGE. I said, "Nice one, never heard of it...", and she replied, "It's something a bit naughty."

So I looked it up and was delighted with the definition.

In summary,
TAMPONADE: Ugh. Disgusting word, shouldn't exist. Bleeuuugghh!
FROTTAGE: Wonderful word with a glorious definition, which doesn't rub me up the wrong way at all.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Re: Good Word / Bad Word

Post by Hugh Binnie »

I once got ANILINGUS when I was playing with Martin Bishop. He confessed to not knowing what it was when I offered it but I encouraged him not to think too much about it and just keep on going.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hugh Binnie wrote:I once got ANILINGUS when I was playing with Martin Bishop. He confessed to not knowing what it was when I offered it but I encouraged him not to think too much about it and just keep on going.
What's this got to do with Apterous?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:I once got ANILINGUS when I was playing with Martin Bishop. He confessed to not knowing what it was when I offered it but I encouraged him not to think too much about it and just keep on going.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I just discovered the words LOSINGEST and WINNINGEST. I'm not a language purist, but... (you can "Openbook" that phrase too Charlie)... I am mentally and even physically (to a lesser extent) repulsed by those two words.