Apterous Summer Open finality

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Apterous Summer Open finality

Post by Andrew Feist »

All the numbers are in their proper place, and all the results can be found on the ASO website. Congratulations again to the winners: Kirk Bevins, Jim Bentley, Lee Simmonds, and Andy Wilson. (Thanks also to Adam Gillard for pushing and prodding to get this done.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Apterous Summer Open finality

Post by Charlie Reams »

Great work Andrew, it's nice to have such a popular tournament that runs so smoothly without any intervention from me. The thing that always discourages me from running tournaments is dealing with unplayed games and you handled that very slickly.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Cheers also from me Andrew, really smoothly run as always. Went like a dream. When's the next one?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I hate to throw a fly in the ointment, but I didn't lose a game in the U1400 playoffs. I was scheduled to play 2 games and I won them both, yet you have my record down as 2-1. The champion only has 2 games in his record. Please explain...
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Just to be clear, these are the fixtures you posted (2 each):

"First, the new games (the finals for the U1400):

The top flight (playing for 1/2/3/4):
Jim Bentley vs. Lloyd Pettet
Adam Gillard vs. Michael Wallace
Jim Bentley vs. Michael Wallace
Adam Gillard vs. Lloyd Pettet"

I didn't get to play Jim Bentley and was half-expecting there to be a final match between me and him. Also, I didn't see the results of his match against Lloyd on the forum so I just checked it out on Head-to-Head and their last game against each other was 23 May 2010. I'm even more confused now. Did Jim win by default?

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Adam Gillard wrote:Just to be clear, these are the fixtures you posted (2 each):

"First, the new games (the finals for the U1400):

The top flight (playing for 1/2/3/4):
Jim Bentley vs. Lloyd Pettet
Adam Gillard vs. Michael Wallace
Jim Bentley vs. Michael Wallace
Adam Gillard vs. Lloyd Pettet"

I didn't get to play Jim Bentley and was half-expecting there to be a final match between me and him. Also, I didn't see the results of his match against Lloyd on the forum so I just checked it out on Head-to-Head and their last game against each other was 23 May 2010. I'm even more confused now. Did Jim win by default?
Your group game result carried over to the playoff, so Jim went into the playoffs with a win over you. Dunno what the deal with the Lloyd/Jim game was, but I presume that if he'd lost that, the tie-breaker criterion would be the result in your game, which would mean he'd win anyway. But that's just a guess so Andrew will probably show up later to correct me.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Michael Wallace wrote:Your group game result carried over to the playoff, so Jim went into the playoffs with a win over you. Dunno what the deal with the Lloyd/Jim game was, but I presume that if he'd lost that, the tie-breaker criterion would be the result in your game, which would mean he'd win anyway. But that's just a guess so Andrew will probably show up later to correct me.
Ah I didn't realise that. I think I was drunk on Touchdown when I played Jim early on. If I'd known it would be the match that decided the whole tournament I might have waited to play him another time. Also, if my calculations are correct, this means that myself and Lloyd Pettet had no chance of winning outright, even by winning both of our playoff fixtures, because whoever won the Bentley-Wallace match would be on 2 wins anyway (so me/Lloyd could only win on a tie-breaker such as points per game).

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

The games from before carried over, yes. (There was actually a distinction here -- the actual game results carried over, and not "places" or anything like that, so even though Lloyd won the pool outright in the prelims, he carried a loss forward into the playoffs. You can (and some of you maybe have) argue which way is the right way all day on that one.) I put Jim down as 2-0 to show that the game wasn't played, but it counted as a loss for both players in terms of putting people into places. The tiebreaker used was (1) Sonneborn-Berger points (essentially: the combined records of the players you beat) and if needed (2) points per game.