Spoilers For Friday July 9th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday July 9th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

The week is approaching it's climax, but we have been denied an octochamp-crowning episode by Doug Elkins, who managed to end the 6-match winning streak of Ryan Loughborough yesterday.

Can Doug last as long as his predecessor in the chair or will he be knocked out by the end of the day :?:

Mike will be around, when he's ready, to deliver his recap. ;) :) :D
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Friday July 9th 2010

Post by Howard Somerset »

Challenger from Alsager, I see. Face isn't familiar, though.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

SUNROOFS

OMFG I AM AMAZING!!!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

SUNROOFS for an 8 and a DC beater.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Michael Wallace wrote:SUNROOFS

OMFG I AM AMAZING!!!
Beat me to it, you rotter! :P
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

This was the first show I watched all the way through with Gino, and I think he is +++
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Yes. Gino is brilliant as a DC guest and what a fantastic find - a man with Italian as his main language on a show that is playing with words in English, but whose smile and personality make him one of the best DC invites IMO.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:This was the first show I watched all the way through with Gino, and I think he is +++
Absolutely agree. Awesome.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Does make you think about what it takes to be a good DC guest. Clearly ability to find words is completely unnecessary. Like having someone with no knowledge of football sitting next to Alan Hansen. (Whatever did happen to Ian Wright?)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

David Williams wrote:Does make you think about what it takes to be a good DC guest. Clearly ability to find words is completely unnecessary. Like having someone with no knowledge of football sitting next to Alan Hansen. (Whatever did happen to Ian Wright?)
Do people actually care whether the DC guest is any good at Countdown? There's approximately zero chance they're going to better than Susie+, so what does them being good at the game add to proceedings? I'd much rather have someone who seems to actually enjoy being there, and is interesting/enjoyable to watch, than someone who can spot the occasional long word.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote: Do people actually care whether the DC guest is any good at Countdown? There's approximately zero chance they're going to better than Susie+, so what does them being good at the game add to proceedings? I'd much rather have someone who seems to actually enjoy being there, and is interesting/enjoyable to watch, than someone who can spot the occasional long word.
I don't think the DC guests are expected to be good at the game but I guess a lot of them try to play along just to join in with the fun. They always credit Susie anyway when it's DCs turn to speak but a lot do actually say "I got MOOSE for 5 - I'm getting better" and stuff like that which is nice to see they're actually playing along.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

We spent half the show failing to read Gino's T-shirt. Can anybody tell me what it said?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:We spent half the show failing to read Gino's T-shirt. Can anybody tell me what it said?
Not sure about the rest of it, but the main words were 'Divine Mantra'. Whether it was a reference to Buddhism or not, I cannot say.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Mike Brown wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:We spent half the show failing to read Gino's T-shirt. Can anybody tell me what it said?
Not sure about the rest of it, but the main words were 'Divine Mantra'. Whether it was a reference to Buddhism or not, I cannot say.
Thanks, Mike. We had half a dozen possibles for the words individually, but nothing at all that fit together.