Apterous World Cup - Group Stages - Fixtures & Results

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Re: Apterous World Cup - Group Stages - Fixtures & Results

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Honduras 4-7 Chile

When Chile didn't risk PEATIEST in the opening exchanges, it looked like being a tense affair. Mark Lawrenson even went as far as to call the Chileans "cowards", whereas Mark Bright just sat there and mispronounced Maynor Figueroa.

However, GLIOMAS and an elegant 4 large solution were too hot for Honduras and put a big dent in their hopes. And so it continued, with Chile sealing their first win in the group and setting up a virtual qualification play-off with Switzerland.

Meanwhile, Wilson Palacios was heard telling Ray Stubbs "I'll be getting my hat and coat, then."
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: Apterous World Cup - Group Stages - Fixtures &

Post by Andy Wilson »

Phil Makepeace wrote: and put a big dent in their hopes.
Hard luck Ian, you've fallen, but landed hond-ur-as, so at least you're sitting down. Good luck in the copa aptomerica! (patent pending)
Phil Makepeace wrote: with Chile sealing their first win in the group and setting up a virtual qualification play-off with Switzerland.
Good luck lads!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

james doohan wrote:Group C Result

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=253631

Algeria 6 - 6 Slovenia
And a few practice penalties afterwards, fair play! Good game lads, Randier radiance gouge wife. Tense stuff!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

United States 7 - 5 Slovenia.

The US pinched an advantage just before half time, when Slovenia's tactical error allowed for an easy opener. The sides were evenly matched thereafter, until a decent long-range effort gave the Americans the win shortly before the end. A good clean game from both sides.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:United States 7 - 5 Slovenia.

The US pinched an advantage just before half time, when Slovenia's tactical error allowed for an easy opener. The sides were evenly matched thereafter, until a decent long-range effort gave the Americans the win shortly before the end. A good clean game from both sides.
Good result, for England too.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Congratulations to Group B for being the only bunch of shits not to play any games yet. The tension is unbearable.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

United States 7 - 5 Algeria

The US took an early lead with a sluttier* surtitle, and maintained the gap until the closing moments when they doubled their advantage, cementing their first max game of the tournament. Sadly this defeat puts the Algerian heroes on the plane home.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

And thus congratulations are now afforded to all members of Group C, being that they are the first bunch of shits to complete all their group games. Nice work you lot!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:And thus congratulations are now afforded to all members of Group C, being that they are the first bunch of shits to complete all their group games. Nice work you lot!
Oi - do I not get any congratulations for being the first team knocked out? Ungrateful bastard :(
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=254016

DIFFERENT CLASS BEVINS TEACHES WILSON LESSON

North Korea 1 - 7 Brazil !!

Ouch. That lesson was, when you think you should have coffee before you play Kirk, follow your instinct. Little too stressed to try and live up to yesterday's match report tbh. I noticed after delaying the kick off to go to the shops to get coffee that my housemate's espresso maker was not on the stove... then i realised his computer and guitar were also gone... alarm bells. You see, our lease is up next week and i suspect he's trying to do a runner without sorting me out with his share of the bills. Arsehole.

So with this realisation dawning on me, I noticed the challenge on screen and we played the game, with a caffeinated Kirk convincingly kicking korean keester. At 3-1 down i had the perfect chance to get back in the match in round 4 with Kirk missing the available 8s, but all I could muster was a misspelt seven and it was all over bar the trouncing. Wouldn't have mattered anyway as Kirk maxed the rest of the game and I managed to fluff the last numbers to make it probably the most one sided game of the tournament so far i guess? Well played Kirk.

Then I found coffee filters in the back of the press, cut the top off an empty bottle of Mi-wadi and made me a coffee McGyver stylie, which worked at the second attempt, where I used 3 filters! Mmmm. Now to chase this dodgy housemate...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Tough stuff Andy! Thanks for being such a good sport that you still posted a very decent review though!
Also, take pride in the fact that you actually probably did slightly better than your respective real-life footballing counterparts would have done in the same match!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Was watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9L9rj4s ... r_embedded

and now I wish it had already started, hope y'all enjoy it :D :D :D 8-)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Rubbish
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

james doohan wrote:Was watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9L9rj4s ... r_embedded

and now I wish it had already started, hope y'all enjoy it :D :D :D 8-)
Awesome song.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Australia 5 - 5 Serbia.

The Australians started off impressively to take an early lead before a couple of slip-ups allowed the Serbians to equalize and then take the lead. But, showing impressive fighting spirit, Australia scored a last-minute equalizer to set up a must-win game against the highly impressive Germany.
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Australia 5 - 6 Germany

But it was not to be. The Germans remained unbribed, and hope to have put that nasty business with Austria in '82 behind them. As the German fans down Riesling in the streets of Durban, the players look forward to a last 16 grudge match with England.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

As I know I am to play Stuart in the next round, can we play our game? Or would that fudge it up?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Patience Eoin! Let the players have some downtime with their wags and head back to the hotel and analyse the videos of Germany's group matches!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Lol, the press has been bombarding the hotel so much that they caused a riot and damaged the hotel so the players have to sleep with the hobos on the street and wish to get out of there as possible. So if they don't win, it's definitely not because of that, and if we lose, we won't blame it on that, won't, promise.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Stuart Arnot wrote:Australia 5 - 6 Germany

But it was not to be. The Germans remained unbribed, and hope to have put that nasty business with Austria in '82 behind them. As the German fans down Riesling in the streets of Durban, the players look forward to a last 16 grudge match with England.

(Edit: what bribe?)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks for the results guys, and yeah definitely PLEASE do not play any knockout stage matches yet - would be much better for the tension and fun of the competition if we can get excited about things as they go on in stages. Don't worry, shouldn't be more than a couple of days of waiting at the most.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Final Group H results:
Switzerland 6-5 Honduras http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=253251

The Swiss got the better of the early JOUST, while another fine effort on the stroke of half-time left things looking GRIM for Honduras.A late surge from the Central American side threatened to IMPEDE Switzerlands progress, leading to a tense final few minutes in which both sides scored to give the Alpiners victory by the narrowest of margins.

Chile 4-7 Switzerland http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=254178

With Chile needing only a draw to progress, a surprise move from leftfield by the Swiss midway through the first half (copied from a friendly only days earlier) left the South Americans outlook SMEARED. Shortly after half-time came the turning point of the game, La Rojas missing an open goal which would prove to be their UNDOING. Switzerland swiftly replied at the other end, while the men in red had a goal disallowed for offside. A further infringement late in the half served only to HASTEN the end, leaving the Swiss to run out comfortable winners and set up a second round tie against the winners of Group G.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

The final match in Group E is scheduled to take place at 9pm tonight. This is between Japan and Cameroon to decide the runner-up spot in the group.

The Cameroon team have had plenty of competitive games recently to ensure they are in tip-top condition. The Japanese on the other hand may be resorting to a glass of sake beforehand to calm their nerves.

Will the Japanese have the strength to hold off those big boys from Cameroon?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Portugal were meant to play Brazil today at 1pm but it was called off at short notice due to flash flooding of the pitch (apterous died). The Portugal team then had to go and visit their parents for the weekend. The match will take place some time next week. Apologies to the thousands of spectators who paid £30 to watch - send refund applications to Dinos Sfyris.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 8374999760

Japan 4 - 7 Cameroon

After an afternoon on the golf course and a couple of glasses of wine, the Japanese got off to a very poor start drawing a BLANK. The big, strong Cameroon players proved too strong for the smaller-framed Japanese and went into the break 3-1 up.

Despite a stern half time talk from their manager, the Japanese continued where they left off, scoring a bit of an own goal by thinking that JULIENAS was a real word whereas it's actually a wine-producing region of France (fancy the Japanese manager making that mistake!!).
In the meantime, there was nothing MENIAL about the Cameroon attack which continued relentlessly.

Despite a a bit of a recovery by the Japanese, there was nothing they could do to salvage the game as the Cameroonians continued their faultless game, not putting a foot wrong all match. Definitely a team to watch out for in the knockout stage!

And thus the Japanese BOW out of the tournament.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I've not had much access to the internets this week, but I'll play my group game with Ryan as soon as.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:I've not had much access to the internets this week, but I'll play my group game with Ryan as soon as.
Nice one Monsieur. Ryan's the weakest link here, having played NO GAMES like some kind of BLOUSE. I was just looking at group tables and noted that all the 'favourites' (i.e. in terms of the actual football teams, not the apterous players) are going through, but Uruguay could still pull off a big upset in the group over France so this match is huge.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:I've not had much access to the internets this week, but I'll play my group game with Ryan as soon as.
Nice one Monsieur. Ryan's the weakest link here, having played NO GAMES like some kind of BLOUSE. I was just looking at group tables and noted that all the 'favourites' (i.e. in terms of the actual football teams, not the apterous players) are going through, but Uruguay could still pull off a big upset in the group over France so this match is huge.
I was waiting to get into the spirit of the competition! Will play my 3 games over this weekend if possible!! COME ON URUGUAY YOU FUCKING ANIMALS!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mexico 5-4 Urgay

The mighty Mexican warriors made a thunderous start going 2-0 up but over-indulged over half-time allowing Uruguay to pull one back. Mistakes from both sides left it tight going into the dying minutes and the risky 6-small strategy nearly cost the Mexicans the game, but was enough in the end to hang on, extending the unbeaten streak to 3 wins!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Brilliant avatar Ryan!

Screw the tournament, you win for sheer enthusiasm. :D
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Brilliant avatar Ryan!

Ha! I spent £13 on that shit and I'm probably not gonna get through the groups!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:

Shit I didn't even realise that was you at first Ry Ry! Have you got a full sized version on FB? I want to like it.

Also, £13 for two hand flags, face paints and a massive wearable-sized flag is pretty good value. Same set of goods probably costs you twice as much with England colours on 'em.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:

Shit I didn't even realise that was you at first Ry Ry! Have you got a full sized version on FB? I want to like it.

Also, £13 for two hand flags, face paints and a massive wearable-sized flag is pretty good value. Same set of goods probably costs you twice as much with England colours on 'em.
Sadly I deleted the full sized one. Is there anyway to get things out of the recycle bin after cleaning it? Or do I have to be ridiculous again and secretly adorn face paint and Uruguay flags to save me from the embarrassment of explaining what I am doing when my family asks?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Look, if they catch you, just tell them you're being awesome!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Or do I have to be ridiculous again and secretly adorn face paint and Uruguay flags to save me from the embarrassment of explaining what I am doing when my family asks?
Yeah they might be worried that you're playing for the other team.

ie ur a guay
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Quite a lot of people have been saying Ryan is gay recently, I am convinced.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The following matches have not yet been played (as of 8pm Sunday June 13th). Get on with it bitches!

Uncompleted Group Stage Matches

Group A
Image Uruguay (Ryan Taylor) - Image France (Ben Hunter)

Group B
Image Argentina (Oliver Garner) - Image Nigeria (Lloyd Pettet)
Image Korea Republic (Niall Seymour) - Image Greece (Jon O'Neill)
Image Argentina (Oliver Garner) - Image Korea Republic (Niall Seymour)
Image Greece (Jon O'Neill) - Image Nigeria (Lloyd Pettet)
Image Nigeria (Lloyd Pettet) - Image Korea Republic (Niall Seymour)
Image Greece (Jon O'Neill) - Image Argentina (Oliver Garner)

Group F
Image New Zealand (Heather Badcock) - Image Slovakia (Tom Rowell)
Image Slovakia (Tom Rowell) - Image Paraguay (Matt Morrison)
Image Slovakia (Tom Rowell) - Image Italy (Edward McCullagh)

Group G
Image Portugal (Dinos Sfyris) - Image Brazil (Kirk Bevins)

Come on Group B.
Seriously, that's an order. Do semen all over them if they don't play.
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ivory Coast 5 - 7 Portugal

One down. Playing Andy Wilson now :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Shock victory for North Korea! :o

Korea DPR 6 - 5 Portugal

I made some awful decisions re UNMIXED and FLUKEY but Andy by far outplayed me and deserved the win with a beauty spot of BEHOLDER. The Portugal-Brazil affair will now be all the more crucial hopefully to be played this Tuesday?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Group G: Ivory Coast 5-7 Portugal

Ivory Coast manager Sven Goran Eriksson made several cryptic comments in the press conference following his team's loss - which effectively ends their campaign - in Group G today.

"You know, I made it with Ulrika once? Ulrika Jonsson, she was on Gladiators. She was pretty hot and we used to love to fuck in the hot tub."

When questioned by journalists about his tactics in the match, Eriksson said "Of course, Faria Alam was much dirtier than Ulrika and liked to do some things that I did not like. But a good relationship is about give and take."

Many reporters were keen to learn of the former England manager's plans following the tournament, but he would not be pressed. "Nancy always liked me to do her in the ass," he said, "but I find that sort of thing is not really my thing."

Portugal face Brazil on Monday in what looks to be an exciting 1st/2nd decider in the group.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

A-LOL! ^This is why Jim Bentley is a leg end :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JimBentley wrote:Group G: Ivory Coast 5-7 Portugal

Ivory Coast manager Sven Goran Eriksson made several cryptic comments in the press conference following his team's loss - which effectively ends their campaign - in Group G today.

"You know, I made it with Ulrika once? Ulrika Jonsson, she was on Gladiators. She was pretty hot and we used to love to fuck in the hot tub."

When questioned by journalists about his tactics in the match, Eriksson said "Of course, Faria Alam was much dirtier than Ulrika and liked to do some things that I did not like. But a good relationship is about give and take."

Many reporters were keen to learn of the former England manager's plans following the tournament, but he would not be pressed. "Nancy always liked me to do her in the ass," he said, "but I find that sort of thing is not really my thing."

Portugal face Brazil on Monday in what looks to be an exciting 1st/2nd decider in the group.
Best match report ever.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Lloyd Pettet
Rookie

Post by Lloyd Pettet »

Nigeria 6 - 6 Greece

V close game, was chuffed with the draw in the end!

Argentina 6 - 4 Nigeria
disappointing RD 6 lost the game, meant I had to go for a difficult (and impossible) numbers! Well done Ollie
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Slovakia 5-7 Italy
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=255762

A fine display of attacking talent saw the italians overcome a very defensive slovakian outfit
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Of the 6 games so far which have been played in both the real World Cup and the Apterous World Cup, three have had the same result (Argentina - Nigeria, England - USA, Germany - Australia) and three have not (Mexico - South Africa, Slovenia - Algeria, Ghana - Serbia). More fascinating facts like these as both competitions unfold!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The following matches have not yet been played (as of 2:30am Monday June 14th). Almost there!

Group A
Image Uruguay (Ryan Taylor) - Image France (Ben Hunter)

Group B
Image Korea Republic (Niall Seymour) - Image Greece (Jon O'Neill)

Group F
Image New Zealand (Heather Badcock) - Image Slovakia (Tom Rowell)
Image Slovakia (Tom Rowell) - Image Paraguay (Matt Morrison)

Group G
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Exciting stuff!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Sorry to drag up the German anthem again, but, and I was pretty drunk at the time, I think i heard RTE commentator Stephen Alkin announce their anthem as, 'Deutschland Deutschland uber alles' last night!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Andy Wilson wrote:Sorry to drag up the German anthem again, but, and I was pretty drunk at the time, I think i heard RTE commentator Stephen Alkin announce their anthem as, 'Deutschland Deutschland uber alles' last night!
Thats exactly what he said
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:Of the 6 games so far which have been played in both the real World Cup and the Apterous World Cup, three have had the same result (Argentina - Nigeria, England - USA, Germany - Australia) and three have not (Mexico - South Africa, Slovenia - Algeria, Ghana - Serbia). More fascinating facts like these as both competitions unfold!
Certainly better than my crystal ball, although I did get the South Korea v Greece result spot on.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Uruguay 7 - 4 France
With Uruguay knowing only a win would see them in the knockouts they were fired up for this 2nd place decider with France.

Their tactic was to go for broke from the start. When faced with an open goal Forlan chose to bicycle kick the ball home rather than head it in to take the lead. Then on the stroke of half time France capitulated as Ireland's favourite black Frenchie, Thierry Henry, handled the ball in his own box letting Forlan step up to the spot and complete his hat-trick to put Uruguay 2 goals in front.

They went on to score another to make the scoreline slightly emphatic and at the final whistle the Uruguayans(?) went mental. They storm through to the knockout stages for the first time in 20 years.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I blame the jabulani, the vuvuzelas and the bribe I took off Ryan before the game started.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ben Hunter wrote:I blame the jabulani, the vuvuzelas and the bribe I took off Ryan before the game started.
We didn't even use a jabulani ball and there were no vuvuzelas.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Just 2 games left!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Brazil play Portugal tomorrow (Tuesday). Kick off is at 1pm.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The following matches have not yet been played (as of 2:30am Tuesday June 15th).

Group G
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

The final game of the Group Stage was played today, Portugal needing to be within about 4 of Brazil to go through.

Portugal 6 - 7 Brazil.

Round 2 was a little embarrassing for both parties and Brazil has missed ELEVATOR before on 3/3 occasions. They never learn.

Well done all.