The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Alec Rivers
Devotee

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Alec Rivers »

Josh Overhill wrote:Let's all laugh at Liverpool. Yet again.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Josh Overhill wrote:Let's all laugh at Liverpool. Yet again.
*Awaits Craig's analysis of the Stoke game*
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yea that was funny as well.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mind you, at least they scored, this weekend, as all of their 'playing for 4th' rivals couldn't.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Christ almighty, well done Fulham. Stunning result.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Christ almighty, well done Fulham. Stunning result.
Yeah that was fantastic! Was watching that as well as the 4-4 between Bremen and Valencia, cracking evening o' foot.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Brilliant, stuff like that never ever happens. Quality.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jon Corby wrote:Christ almighty, well done Fulham. Stunning result.
This.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Great draw for United. Bayern (home 2nd leg) and then Bordeaux or Lyon (home 2nd leg) if they win. Meanwhile Arsenal and Barcelona and Inter will take care of each other!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

United are such shits. I honestly believe they can already look forward to the final, the scum.

Europa League is pretty interesting, all four ties look like they could swing either way, and the Liverpool-Fulham final is still on.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:and the Liverpool-Fulham final is still on.
That just sounds so dull, doesn't it :?:

The final of the 2nd biggest cup competition in Europe could be Liverpool vs. Fulham :!:

It's just getting more weirder and weirder that Fulham are going so far in this competition. :? :roll: :shock: :o
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Robinson wrote:

The final of the 2nd biggest cup competition in Europe could be Liverpool vs. Fulham :!:

It's just getting more weirder and weirder that Fulham are going so far in this competition. :? :roll: :shock: :o
I think it sounds pretty exciting. One of the most decorated clubs in the history of Europe against the rank underdogs who've pulled off a seris of amazing comebacks to get there. That's a pretty awesome story.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Roy Hodgson, manager of the year in my eyes.
Next England manager too.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

I think it sounds pretty exciting. One of the most decorated clubs in the history of Europe against the rank underdogs who've pulled off a seris of amazing comebacks to get there. That's a pretty awesome story.
Oh, I think it's awesome that Fulham have done this amazing run. It just sounds too weird, that's all.

Having said that, Fulham could easily do a Middlesbrough, and do all these amazing comebacks, but then get annihilated in the final by whoever.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:United are such shits. I honestly believe they can already look forward to the final, the scum.

Europa League is pretty interesting, all four ties look like they could swing either way, and the Liverpool-Fulham final is still on.
Yeah, but it's more fun watching them lose in the final though. :)
(Hopefully to Arsenal or Inter)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I agree, I hate one-nation European finals, spoils the whole competition. Such as Chelsea-United in champions league, fucking anticlimax city.

We've got the bum side of the draw so there won't be a dream final of Liverpool-Valencia, Fulham would actually provide the most interesting opponents for us if we get through.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Matt Morrison wrote:United are such shits. I honestly believe they can already look forward to the final, the scum.
I wouldn't be so sure. Bayern are a tough team (they're German don't forget!) and Manure won't find this easy at all, especially if Riberry and Robben are on form. Then, if they do get past them, they'll probably face Lyon, who always do well in Europe and knocked out Ronaldo, Kaka et al in the last round. Although I don't really care about that anyway, cos ARSENAL ARE PLAYING BARCA! THE KING RETURNS!!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

We are top the league. We are top the league! First time this season - I may be timing it just right.

I feel I should say something related to real world football to make my post seem less smug and gloaty. Anyone else fancy Everton to nab the last European spot? It would be hilarious if Liverpool didn't even get in the Europa League, although I fear more for Aston Villa's chances.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Im not sure if they can get into Europe, but if they finished above Liverpool that would be just as good. Then Benitez would have to go!
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Martin Bishop wrote:We are top the league. We are top the league! First time this season - I may be timing it just right.
*Sulks*
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Bishop wrote:We are top the league. We are top the league! First time this season - I may be timing it just right.
Badical. Is it too late to join your league?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Christ, I knew I was doing shit in this (took my eye off the ball sometime around Christmas tbh) but I didn't realise it was that bad!
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I feel I should say something related to real world football to make my post seem less smug and gloaty. Anyone else fancy Everton to nab the last European spot? It would be hilarious if Liverpool didn't even get in the Europa League, although I fear more for Aston Villa's chances.
Lost the lead in both my main public leagues last week. Martin, at least you didn't have the cheek to put Lampard as captain this week, like the leader of my other league. Forgot to change my captain as well, so stuck with Milner. (I would have changed it to Drogba, which then the computer would change to Malouda due to form).
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Oliver Garner wrote:

Lost the lead in both my main public leagues last week. Martin, at least you didn't have the cheek to put Lampard as captain this week, like the leader of my other league. Forgot to change my captain as well, so stuck with Milner. (I would have changed it to Drogba, which then the computer would change to Malouda due to form).
Yeah, I went and picked Arteta, who didn't play, but my reserve captain is on value this week, which means Fabregas instead of Malouda.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Nice article on Clark Carlisle in yesterday's observer. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... -interview
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Just in case anyone missed it, a fantastic clip from Soccer Saturday yesterday (contains spoilers for the Portsmouth game).
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Which was immiediately followed by Matt Le Tissier's lyrical description of Sunderland's third goal, score put up on screen as well, followed by "Hang on - has he disallowed it?" (He had.)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Tits.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fucking YES. Suddenly there's a chance that we're going to win more trophies than the scum this season. That'd be a right turn up.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Fucking YES. Suddenly there's a chance that we're going to win more trophies than the scum this season. That'd be a right turn up.
Well yeah, but it's not really comparable is it? Getting further in the Champs League is always gonna be superior to falling out of it into the Europa League. (We've got one trophy by the way too, but I'm hardly gonna start goading Man U fans over it :D)

Strange game last night, Man U were cruising at 3-0 and while Olic's goal just before half-time helped, I still didn't feel Man U were in serious trouble - until the sending off. They were coping fine even with Rooney playing at about 30% - ridiculous decision to keep him on even once they were 2-0 up IMO. Berbatov was always gonna be useless coming off the bench too, god knows why they brought him on near the end. I'd have stuck Macheda on as soon as Robben scored. Real edge-of-the-seat stuff though, loved it. Always makes me laugh to hear Ferguson complaining about players trying to influence refs though.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Matt Morrison wrote:Fucking YES. Suddenly there's a chance that we're going to win more trophies than the scum this season. That'd be a right turn up.
How so? Unless you're counting a pre-season bauble, you're only in contention for one trophy this season (with the Super Cup being the curtain raiser for the 2010-2011 season). Manchester United already have one trophy this season.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So what's wrong with making it so that only the captain is allowed to approach the referee?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:So what's wrong with making it so that only the captain is allowed to approach the referee?
Even more so, what's wrong with forcing footballers to have some fucking respect?!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So what's wrong with making it so that only the captain is allowed to approach the referee?
Even more so, what's wrong with forcing footballers to have some fucking respect?!
Time to introduce the sin bin, maybe.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
How so? Unless you're counting a pre-season bauble, you're only in contention for one trophy this season (with the Super Cup being the curtain raiser for the 2010-2011 season). Manchester United already have one trophy this season.
We've got the bum draw for the Europa League but it's still on. United got the easy ass Champions League draw. I genuinely believe Benfica and Valencia are a harder path to a final than an off-form Bayern and a Lyon side who haven't looked that great other than a tight job well done against Real. Obviously a final versus Fulham isn't as much of an obstacle as United's final against Barcelona would've been.

But yeah, I already forgot about the League Cup that United won, oops, my bad. Poor man's Europa League though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Time to introduce the sin bin, maybe.
Aye, it's worked in rugby league for nearly 30 years, in union for more than 10, and seems effective in other sports too.

But no, it would spoil the game etc etc. Chances of it happening? Less likely than bloody goal-line tech. Talk about having the rules focus in the wrong place...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Morrison wrote: We've got the bum draw for the Europa League but it's still on. United got the easy ass Champions League draw. I genuinely believe Benfica and Valencia are a harder path to a final than an off-form Bayern and a Lyon side who haven't looked that great other than a tight job well done against Real. Obviously a final versus Fulham isn't as much of an obstacle as United's final against Barcelona would've been.

But yeah, I already forgot about the League Cup that United won, oops, my bad. Poor man's Europa League though.
Oh dear. Leave it to a Liverpool fan to elevate the European Johnstone's Paint Trophy above the proper tournament where they received a comprehensive spanking.

Strangely, I'm not overly gutted last night. Great match and thought we played well and created some decent openings even with 10 men, just one of those days where it wasn't going to go for us, and in the end we got done by a class goal. Shame we couldn't mount a response after they scored, but the players were physically and mentally shattered and Bayern used the ball really well against the 10 men. Overall we probably paid for some complacent defending for the 1st goal (and second goal in the 1st leg), and Bayern just about shaded it over the two legs. Best of luck to them, I really like the German football culture and its good to see them having a good run in Europe.

European cup has been quality this year, best I can remember in a while. And how good is Messi? Transcendent talent.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Paul Howe wrote:European Johnstone's Paint Trophy
What you trying to say here Howe? :evil:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jon Corby wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:European Johnstone's Paint Trophy
What you trying to say here Howe? :evil:
Nothing, nothing, its a perfectly respectable trophy. But if, say, some of the premiership teams that got knocked out of the FA cup got given a second go in the JPT, it would be quite amusing if their fans started creaming themselves at the prospect of winning the thing. Especially if they were in serious danger of not even qualifying for the FA cup next year (erm, strained analogy alert :? ).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's pretty mind blowing that you'd seriously think I'd rate the Europa League over the Champions League simply because we're in it. Obviously it was a statement completely loaded with competitive banter.

In all seriousness though, Scholes is a poor man's Lucas.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Morrison wrote:It's pretty mind blowing that you'd seriously think I'd rate the Europa League over the Champions League simply because we're in it. Obviously it was a statement completely loaded with competitive banter.
Well, in my experience you lot tend to believe some very strange things. :mrgreen: Obviously though my reply was completely free of any element of banter. :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Paul Howe wrote:Well, in my experience you lot tend to believe some very strange things. :mrgreen: Obviously though my reply was completely free of any element of banter. :?
Haha yeah sorry. Wrote that in a bit of a rush. In a mere matter of hours we'll probably be out of the damn Europa League anyway and be back to fighting for The 4th Place Cup as our only chance of sliverware.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:Well, in my experience you lot tend to believe some very strange things. :mrgreen: Obviously though my reply was completely free of any element of banter. :?
Haha yeah sorry. Wrote that in a bit of a rush. In a mere matter of hours we'll probably be out of the damn Europa League anyway and be back to fighting for The 4th Place Cup as our only chance of sliverware.
Heh, no worries. Looking at the run ins, I think you might still scrape 4th. Although if you beat Chelsea, handed the title to United, and still didn't qualify for the CL, that would also be quite acceptable.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Paul Howe wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Heh, no worries. Looking at the run ins, I think you might still scrape 4th. Although if you beat Chelsea, handed the title to United, and still didn't qualify for the CL, that would also be quite acceptable.
Better still Liverpool get to the Europa league final at the expense of 4th spot and throw their game against Chelsea in order to stop Manure breaking the record.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

About fucking time!
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Marc Meakin wrote:Better still Liverpool get to the Europa league final at the expense of 4th spot and throw their game against Chelsea in order to stop Manure breaking the record.
Best of all is if they throw their game against Burnley in the match between their two legs of the semi-final. Of course, that presupposes Burnley are good enough to catch it! ;)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Love how they're always scapegoated when 90% of the fault for Liverpool being shit is down to Rafa the clown.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Aye, he's been hiding behind them and the champions league trophy for 5 years. What's the story with the Liverpool fans' trust? Are they anywhere close to being able to afford the club? Watching my third 3d game in a row this afternoon, the Manchester Derby. The Utd Chelsea game although not a great game was great to watch in 3d, but last weeks game at Ewood Park not so much. The camera angle at Ewood being so steep, they decided to have a lower main angle, that made it appear as if you were sitting in the first few rows of the stand. Made it nigh on impossible to tell whether a shot coming from the other side of the field was on target, which defeated the purpose. Anyone else been watching in 3D?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Andy Wilson wrote:Anyone else been watching in 3D?
Yes. All you have to do is pay up and go and actually support your team. It looks just like the real thing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:
Yes. All you have to do is pay up and go and actually support your team. It looks just like the real thing.
Smash the looms!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

David Williams wrote:
http://www.salary-money.com/dimitar-ber ... 405000.php
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Good lord, Fulham just don't die!

However, I think Atletico will probably murder them, like Sevilla did against Middlesbrough 4 years ago.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Who should be Liverpool's new manager.
Guus Hiddink would be my choice.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

John Barnes
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andy Wilson wrote:John Barnes
Please no.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Hodgson.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hehe. They'd never in fairness. Maybe Hodgson?

While i'm here, I suggested to Derek that he include a sports section in the reworked 'offtopic' forum, which is now up at http://www.gandiseeg.com/forums and will be moved outright to http://www.gandiseeg.com in the next couple of days i believe, with the old one to be locked forevaaaah. He asked if i'd mod it so i said sure. It's called 'Back of the Net' after my mate Ronan's student radio sports show, which i'll remind you of in due course. So yeah, I know sport isn't the most popular of subjects over here, so feel free to pop over and give a shout if you're bothered. You can even talk about darts if you want.

Back to soccer - It's a 3 horse race now in the c4c fantasy league with Matt Morrison leading by about 30 odd points to Oli G and Martin Bishop (separated by a single point). So, choose your teams carefully chaps... it's anyones!
Last edited by Andy Wilson on Sat May 01, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.