Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Re: Bug reports

Post by Richard Priest »

D Eadie wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Yep, RB's rating isn't entirely realistic. I'd put him around 1200-1300 for normo games.
I'd put him around a burning tyre.
Or a burning gandiseeg perhaps? :P
Bradley Holland

Post by Bradley Holland »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Omelette?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:Omelette?
Spanish.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Bradley Holland

Post by Bradley Holland »

Hahaha you guys are correct, I guess it is bed time for me, 12:34 AM here gn.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Strangely, dbx is a valid "word". As a non-capitalised trademark it avoids being excluded under the proper noun rule.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Strangely, dbx is a valid "word". As a non-capitalised trademark it avoids being excluded under the proper noun rule.
I guess it could be an elaborate joke from Charlie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_(debugger)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Any more information Matt? I don't like this at all. What is "dbx"? I'm struggling to understand - plenty of proper nouns, product names and companies, are trademarked in lower-case, but I doubt any others are aptovalid.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:
Any more information Matt? I don't like this at all. What is "dbx"? I'm struggling to understand - plenty of proper nouns, product names and companies, are trademarked in lower-case, but I doubt any others are aptovalid.
According to dictionary:
Electronic circuitry designed to increase the dynamic range of reproduced sound and reduce noise in the system

wiki link
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ok, so in terms of "dbx" being a valid word, it's not representing a company or a product, but basically a technology. Presumably we're supposed to announce it "duh-buhks" or something too.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Matt Morrison wrote:Ok, so in terms of "dbx" being a valid word, it's not representing a company or a product, but basically a technology. Presumably we're supposed to announce it "duh-buhks" or something too.
A la Phonejacker!

It does say trademark next to it in the dictionary so I guess it is a product really. I'd like to think that Susie would disallow it on the show due to it being a proper noun that happens to be written without its capital letter, if you see what I mean. Or indeed due to it being stupid.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Are you both pulling my pisser.
J.Levison
Rookie

Post by J.Levison »

for some reason i cant get into the game lobby at all. have updated java etc, and it come to the loading java screen then just doesnt move, are any other experiencing the same issues?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

DBX is valid, I noticed it years ago while trying to play ODE Scrabble and the absurdity of it has always stuck with me.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:DBX is valid, I noticed it years ago while trying to play ODE Scrabble and the absurdity of it has always stuck with me.
Scrabble used to allow PH and EMF but DBX?
I would like to see some evidence of this.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How in the world was the lag time able to be decreased? Charlie, it seemed like before you were able to decrease it sometimes but not all the time
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote:Scrabble used to allow PH and EMF but DBX?
PH and EMF are in all the old Scrabble books, DBX presumably wasn't in any of their source dictionaries. But DBX is in lower case in the ODE so why wouldn't it be allowed? It's a generic trademark but so is HOOVER etc.
Jason Larsen wrote:How in the world was the lag time able to be decreased? Charlie, it seemed like before you were able to decrease it sometimes but not all the time
Used my brain innit.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Scrabble used to allow PH and EMF but DBX?
PH and EMF are in all the old Scrabble books, DBX presumably wasn't in any of their source dictionaries. But DBX is in lower case in the ODE so why wouldn't it be allowed? It's a generic trademark but so is HOOVER etc.
Jason Larsen wrote:How in the world was the lag time able to be decreased? Charlie, it seemed like before you were able to decrease it sometimes but not all the time
Used my brain innit.
omg
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Ok, so in terms of "dbx" being a valid word, it's not representing a company or a product, but basically a technology. Presumably we're supposed to announce it "duh-buhks" or something too.
A la Phonejacker!

It does say trademark next to it in the dictionary so I guess it is a product really. I'd like to think that Susie would disallow it on the show due to it being a proper noun that happens to be written without its capital letter, if you see what I mean. Or indeed due to it being stupid.
I would say that foreign currencies are basically proper nouns with without a capital letter and they're allowed, so why not?

I think I've seen DBX on the electronic game as well (the ultimate arbiter of truth of course).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Used my brain innit.
But seriously, was it some code that was not efficient enough?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: Used my brain innit.
But seriously, was it some code that was not efficient enough?
Basically I streamlined a few things including:-

1) How the player list is updated when a player logs in or out.
2) How the game list is updated when a new game starts/end.
3) How logins are handled.
4) Size of the client itself (down from 750kb to about 560kb).
5) Sizes of some excessively large avatars.

The combination of all of those seems to have been enough to get the bandwidth back under control.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

When logging in, main page just shows the menu on left and happenings on right. The rest fails to load no matter how long I leave it.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Liam Tiernan wrote:When logging in, main page just shows the menu on left and happenings on right. The rest fails to load no matter how long I leave it.
The main page is slow to load for me too, but does load eventually.

and

The 'Hide Bots' option hasn't worked for me for a few days.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Edwin Mead wrote:The main page is slow to load for me too, but does load eventually.
This is much better now, as is the Daily Duel results page.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The times on game reports are a bit confusing. "Date 21 March 2010 09:48PM" - 09 screams morning to me. Maybe 24 hour time would be a better solution overall?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Bug or not, am unsure.
Played TopDog the other day, realised it was the numbers game, so i shut it down, not having the inclination to play round after round of maths.
Since then, whenever i've logged in, even if its 2 days later and even though i've played TopDog since then albeit letters / conundrum rds, this numbers game opens up and starts every time. I can't seem to get rid of it.
Thanks to all at apto towers for reading and hopefully solving.
:)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:Bug or not, am unsure.
Played TopDog the other day, realised it was the numbers game, so i shut it down, not having the inclination to play round after round of maths.
Since then, whenever i've logged in, even if its 2 days later and even though i've played TopDog since then albeit letters / conundrum rds, this numbers game opens up and starts every time. I can't seem to get rid of it.
I know this isn't a totally satisfactory solution, but wouldn't the easiest thing be to just lose a few rounds and get the game over with?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
D Eadie wrote:Bug or not, am unsure.
I know this isn't a totally satisfactory solution, but wouldn't the easiest thing be to just lose a few rounds and get the game over with?

ROFL - how silly of me. Yes of course, i never thought of that. What a plonker. :oops:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:Particularly in light of Happenings being dominated right now by loads of nameless nominations for Dale's high score game, I wonder if the text for GOTW nominations ought to be changed from:

Image Innis Carson's 134-170 game
with Dale Levell received a
nomination for Game of the Week.
4 minutes ago.

to:

Image Ian Volante nominated
Innis Carson 134-170 Dale Levell
for Game of the Week.
4 minutes ago.

or something similar. Makes Happenings read a lot better, but too many links? Hmm.
Related to the above (from Feature Requests), if you refresh the page after a GOTW nomination the associated happening will repeat itself on the homepage.
See this Ryan-Kirk game which has two real GOTW nominations, but three additional phantom nominations recorded on the homepage.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote: See this Ryan-Kirk game which has two real GOTW nominations, but three additional phantom nominations recorded on the homepage.
And maybe even two emails? I've received 2 emails saying "Innis Carson has voted your game for game of the week" and then another one exactly the same. Clicking both links in the emails take me to the same game so no idea why I get two emails from the same vote.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: See this Ryan-Kirk game which has two real GOTW nominations, but three additional phantom nominations recorded on the homepage.
And maybe even two emails? I've received 2 emails saying "Innis Carson has voted your game for game of the week" and then another one exactly the same. Clicking both links in the emails take me to the same game so no idea why I get two emails from the same vote.
Maybe the nominate button simply sends the server a request for the current page, with the nomination data added to the URL. If so, then clicking Refresh would cause a repeat nomination. Perhaps.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Maybe the nominate button simply sends the server a request for the current page, with the nomination data added to the URL. If so, then clicking Refresh would cause a repeat nomination. Perhaps.
There's no doubt about it. The &gotwnom=<uid> variable is clearly appended to the URL. I just didn't get technical as it's an easy fix and I was just exposing the problem. Not at all dissimilar to the double-comment-posting refreshes, just two different methods of sending the data, one GET and one POST.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Maybe the nominate button simply sends the server a request for the current page, with the nomination data added to the URL.
There's no doubt about it.
I was too lazy to find a game to nominate and thus test the theory. :cry:

(Yes, I could also have viewed the page source and hunted around for the button code.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Was playing a hypergoatdown against Josh and my internet cut out on the last round. The next day I finished the game and got a pencil and a baseball cap in round 20. At the end of the game it said "you have got 3 pencils, a baseball cap, a pencil and a baseball cap" or similar. These should be added together.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yes. I don't get it at all.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Oh it's been fixed.
FWIW the game page was fucked as was the front page for about ten minutes, earlier.
Wish I was clever enough to have done a sreenshot.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Oh it's been fixed.
FWIW the game page was fucked as was the front page for about ten minutes, earlier.
Wish I was clever enough to have done a sreenshot.
Did wonder, must be the reference to RB's HTML-code-in-username thing.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Not sure if this is a bug but players in classic games now appear as bots and when the games are finished (and this is a bug) they stay in the players list. I even clicked on one to challenge it (Jackie McLeod bot) to a conundrum attack. The "bot" accepted but wouldn't start the game.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but in my Daily Duel game today (Game 213349, 5:47 am), the game wasn't accepting any offerings I made in the letters rounds (RASIED, SOMBRE, MOUSE etc), the game declared them invalid and I scored no points for them.
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

These were my offerings in today's daily duel - all, apparently, incorrect. No alternatives offered.

SEHAAIRND - HANDIER
NOWEAUTNL - OUTLAW
RESOEOMBR - BROOMS (daren't risk BOOMERS)
BEPIUOMSN - BUMPS
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Stewart Scott wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or not, but in my Daily Duel game today (Game 213349, 5:47 am), the game wasn't accepting any offerings I made in the letters rounds (RASIED, SOMBRE, MOUSE etc), the game declared them invalid and I scored no points for them.
I have just played a game where the same thing happened
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Aye, dictionary's borked. Might be worth editing the spoilerifficness above too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Duel has been reset, and is now in French! :o
Not sure if that's a mistake, or just Charlie mixing it up.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Just put MUCOSITY into lexplorer, only word search, coundrum search and pencil work work.

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /media/logdisk/www/lexplorer_engine.inc.php on line 251

Appears in stemmer, however it does correctly list that there are no stems.

Query failed in gen mode , please report as a bug to charlie@apterous.org

Appears in the rest of the boxes that don't work.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:Just put MUCOSITY into lexplorer, only word search, coundrum search and pencil work work.

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /media/logdisk/www/lexplorer_engine.inc.php on line 251

Appears in stemmer, however it does correctly list that there are no stems.

Query failed in gen mode , please report as a bug to charlie@apterous.org

Appears in the rest of the boxes that don't work.
Works fine for me. Try a full refresh (Shift+F5). Anyone else having this problem?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

not sure if this should be put in bug thread or suggestion thread, but in long games you get a scroll bar when the items go down too far for the screen, but it doesnt actually scroll all the way down.

Edit: And btw Charlie, the hard refresh fixes the problem in lexplorer.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

The link to Wikipedia on the Lexplorer page is wrong.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

The games in progress tab seems to be listing players unfinished games from that session even if they close them, it doesn't normally do that.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This game: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 0#r3056160

Me and RB both pencilled FAN in R9 and CUR in R17, but the homepage currently just says Matt Morrison next to each pencil listing as opposed to RB's name as well.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Although I was pleased with my performance, I don't think I'm supposed to be hammering the metamax...

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=216253

Seems to be an issue for everyone's duel
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Should games against bots (i.e. against Prune) count for widest margin statistics? Would be much better if this stat was human only.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

The March Duel league table has erased the previous 30 days results, therefore Bob would appear to have won the month.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Also, yesterdays results were for March and not April as is displayed
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:
A la Phonejacker!

I would say that foreign currencies are basically proper nouns with without a capital letter and they're allowed, so why not?

I think I've seen DBX on the electronic game as well (the ultimate arbiter of truth of course).
Oh yeah, and letters of the Greek alphabet.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

I'm not sure how The Guardian managed to score 11 points in round 4 of this game
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I have a feeling that this is already known... but Omelette doesn't seem to work in Greek. The letters which come up seem to be English letters, which means it's not possible to declare a word, and the game crashes.

Low/negligible priority for a fix, as I'm sure I'm the only person ever to have attempted to play Omelette in Greek, and I was only trying it out of curiosity.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

The "today's games" times are an hour behind. Maybe it hasn't "sprung forward" yet to British Summertime.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Easiest numbers game ever (R14) displays incorrectly in the recap.