Spoilers For Tuesday February 16th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday February 16th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

Well, for the first period during yesterday's game, I almost thought that Craig would crumble, but in the end Angus crumbled to Craig. He was probably flipping backwards for joy in his head.

Why flipping, you say :?:

Well, today is Pancake Day, but don't worry, there are no tossers here, just some sugary, syrupy, jammy lemons hoping to find some good words and number targets. ;) :) :D

Yet again, Craig showed his brilliant maths skills, which could easily be a thorn in someone's side if he gets to the finals. I think I should give up my "Human Calculator" nickname and pass it onto Craig. If anyone has a reasonable alternative, please say so.

By the way, if he gets 216 points in these next 2 days, he'll be the new #1 seed, which would probably disappoint a certain Apteforumite that we all know.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday February 16th 2010

Post by Marc Meakin »

AUNTIE and UNCLE in round 1
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

BROMATES
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers:

((7 + 5 ) x 4 ) x (6 + 7)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Under the covers with a torch and a book with his dic. in his hand :o
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

TROUPER as well in round 6
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd numbers:

(25 + 4) x (5 + 9)
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Craig must have had a bad day, as he failed to spot certain Countdown 'favourites'
like PETUNIA and BROMATES.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote:TROUPER as well in round 6
Only one R.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

LANCET, REMOTES and SILENCE in rounds 1,2 and 4, though the first was beaten by DC anyway.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Unlucky, Craig. You looked pretty annoyed at the end there. I found it funny when, just as the credits were about to roll, you took a deep breath and laid back with your hands on your head. Then, superimposed on you was a woman with her hands on her head (for a programme later) - was pretty uncanny.

Anyway, feeling pressure like that will help you come the finals (if you make it). That last 406 would have been a walk in the park if you were 50 ahead - unlucky.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

An excellent run, I think Craig has very good chance of coming back for the finals.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Unlucky, Craig. You looked pretty annoyed at the end there. I found it funny when, just as the credits were about to roll, you took a deep breath and laid back with your hands on your head. Then, superimposed on you was a woman with her hands on her head (for a programme later) - was pretty uncanny.

Anyway, feeling pressure like that will help you come the finals (if you make it). That last 406 would have been a walk in the park if you were 50 ahead - unlucky.

Thanks mate. I reckon it would have been a walk in the park had I not been so mentally tired. Oh well, I won't mate excuses, I just played totally shit. Hope I do get to the finals, still need to get a 9!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Bad luck Craig. But well done on such a good run (my parents think you are fantastic! And so do I of course!)

Re Call My Bluff, I wonder if Jeff knew what Yaffle meant because he's a Bagpuss fan. The woodpecker in Bagpuss is called Professor Yaffle.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Unlucky Craig, hopefully you will still make the finals.

How many episodes are filmed per day btw???
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

craig wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Unlucky, Craig. You looked pretty annoyed at the end there. I found it funny when, just as the credits were about to roll, you took a deep breath and laid back with your hands on your head. Then, superimposed on you was a woman with her hands on her head (for a programme later) - was pretty uncanny.

Thanks mate. I reckon it would have been a walk in the park had I not been so mentally tired. Oh well, I won't mate excuses, I just played totally shit. Hope I do get to the finals, still need to get a 9!
Gutted that you were beaten, and even more gutted that twatty Chris beat you. Sorry Chris (if you read this) - just the first thing that came into my head when I saw you - "twat" (don't know why).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bad luck Craig
I thought you had that last numbers as you put your pen down quickly.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:
Yikes! Not surprising there was mental fatigue then. You often see a more noticeable blip in concentration/few slip ups from the 5th game onwards on a contestant's octorun.

How long a break is there between each of those 5 filmed episodes?
Last edited by Jojo Apollo on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Jojo Apollo wrote:How long a break is there between each of those 5 filmed episodes?
Usually filmed on consecutive days, but if you happen to be at the end of a filming session, the break could be several weeks.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Sorry you didn't make it today Craig.
But I hope to see you returning later in the series.
Thanks for the entertainment.
I have enjoyed your unique charm.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Malcolm James wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:How long a break is there between each of those 5 filmed episodes?
Usually filmed on consecutive days, but if you happen to be at the end of a filming session, the break could be several weeks.
Sorry, I meant how long a break between each of those 5 episodes filmed on the day? eg an hour etc
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Malcolm James wrote:
Sorry, I meant how long a break between each of those 5 episodes filmed on the day? eg an hour etc

IIRC (or at least in my experience) if they started at like 9am then you play 2 games in the morning, break for lunch, play one more, break for orange juice and twix, then 2 more games. The 2 games together are a pretty quick turnaround i.e. go and get changed then back out for next game. (don't know if this is the same everyday though).
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ah righto, cheers Ryan. The Twix most probably gives a much needed energy boost. :)
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

Ryan Taylor wrote:

IIRC (or at least in my experience) if they started at like 9am then you play 2 games in the morning, break for lunch, play one more, break for orange juice and twix, then 2 more games. The 2 games together are a pretty quick turnaround i.e. go and get changed then back out for next game. (don't know if this is the same everyday though).
Pretty much this, although I never got my Twix!!!! Have to say I never expected it to be that tiring and have infinite respect for anyone that manages to become an octochamp. (apart from Hansford)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ah! So unlucky, Craig! I was so looking forward to recapping your octochamp show tomorrow. Damn :!:

It did seem like you were under immense strain during the game, maybe getting BREAST and FANNIES distracted you a bit as well. :lol:

Still, I hope you're back for the finals, especially now you're Apterous enhanced. ;) :) :D

Alternative To 1st Numbers:

((7 x 2) + 7 + 5) x 6 x 4 = 624

STIPULE in round 2 and SOLARIA in round 12 as well.
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Bad luck Craig, I know how it feels to fall just short of octochampdom :(

The filming schedule certainly can make a difference.As has already been said, it depends what block you're in and how much of a break you get between shows.In my case I did my first 5 shows in the one day, finished filming at about 8.30pm and had to be back at the studios (then in Leeds) by 9.30am the following day, and in between times sleep was pretty much an impossibility as when I closed my eyes all I could see was a pad in front of me with loads of letters.By game 7 I was feeling pretty jaded mentally.In contrast Jonathan Coles who was in the same series of me did his first 4 shows then had a month off, so it's luck of the draw really.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ouch, unlucky Craig, gutted for you - really hope you're back for the finals. Can't believe it was effectively that numbers game that did you in. Not that I mean "because it was easy" as I know how difficult it is in the studio, just because you'd been so super shit-hot at them up til now :(
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Very unlucky Craig but well done, enjoyed watching your run and hope you make it back.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I got SALIENCE in round 4. I was disappointed to find that ONANISED isn't allowable, though.