Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Feature requests

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: My only gripe is that countdown tolerates fudging, but apterous does not.
Countdown has various elements that we can't easily reproduce, so we have to approximate them in some other way. Imagine if you buzzed in for a Countdown conundrum, then waited 2 seconds before saying only the first letter, waited another 2 seconds etc.. They'd soon tell you to get lost. Likewise if you claimed to have solved a numbers game and then waited 6 seconds before saying "75... ... ... times ... ... ... 3".
Unless you were Gareth Gates.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Fair point, maybe I should just use a pen and paper, like on the show.
Are you genuinely objecting to not being able to see the letters, or just messing around? (I'm defensive because it was my idea.)
I came across an IZE conundrum recently but when I came to typing it, I thought "Is it IZE or ISE?" I think I got it right though. Is that a reasonable concern?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Fair point, maybe I should just use a pen and paper, like on the show.
Are you genuinely objecting to not being able to see the letters, or just messing around? (I'm defensive because it was my idea.)
I came across an IZE conundrum recently but when I came to typing it, I thought "Is it IZE or ISE?" I think I got it right though. Is that a reasonable concern?
No.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

MESMERISE
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

2 suggestions that I think would be nice in superstats. The first one is to include a list of words that the person had declared most when not being a max (might have been suggested before). The second one is to include graphs that show development in terms of number of games played, as well as the current ones which show development in terms of number of days playing.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Since Jack has steered the subject to Superstats, a few statshots I’d like to see:
  • (1) a list of all the pencils and bronze pencils that players have earned. (Admittedly, this may run into thousands for some, but that’s no longer than most players’ list of phonies.) It’d be particularly interesting for me to look at the foreign language pencils which other players have earned... so that I can be impressed, for example, by some of the German words that Anglo Italian (or Bob de Caux, if he has Superstats) has come up with.

As an extension, after each word, it could list the format in which it was obtained (e.g. three-letter English words have almost certainly been pencilled in, in games of Omelette), although that sounds like an absolute pain in the ass to code.

(2) Touch Jnr included amongst the categories for “Fastest Conundrums” in Superstats.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jack Hurst wrote:2 suggestions that I think would be nice in superstats. The first one is to include a list of words that the person had declared most when not being a max (might have been suggested before). The second one is to include graphs that show development in terms of number of games played, as well as the current ones which show development in terms of number of days playing.
Eh maybe. The graphs are such a fucking hassle to write that I usually lose the will to live several times per graph.
Matt Bayfield wrote:Since Jack has steered the subject to Superstats, a few statshots I’d like to see:
  • (1) a list of all the pencils and bronze pencils that players have earned. (Admittedly, this may run into thousands for some, but that’s no longer than most players’ list of phonies.) It’d be particularly interesting for me to look at the foreign language pencils which other players have earned... so that I can be impressed, for example, by some of the German words that Anglo Italian (or Bob de Caux, if he has Superstats) has come up with.

As an extension, after each word, it could list the format in which it was obtained (e.g. three-letter English words have almost certainly been pencilled in, in games of Omelette), although that sounds like an absolute pain in the ass to code.
Good idea. Edit: Done.
Matt Bayfield wrote:(2) Touch Jnr included amongst the categories for “Fastest Conundrums” in Superstats.
Touch Jnr is already on the Fastest Conundrums page, you just need to let the page update.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Nice one Charlie, thanks. I shall look forward to perusing lists of pencils when I next get on apterous (which now won't be until after COLIN)...
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

A harder version of omelette where you have to make a word in the order of the 3/4/5 letters come up
so APS would make APES as SAP wouldn't be allowed.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Oliver Garner wrote:A harder version of omelette where you have to make a word in the order of the 3/4/5 letters come up
No way. This would limit the number of words by so-many-fold.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Oliver Garner wrote:A harder version of omelette where you have to make a word in the order of the 3/4/5 letters come up
I have thought about something like this before and presumably you'd only have 3 letters per round, but even then the main problem is what to do in the possibly-quite-large number of rounds for which there is no possible word. I've always found the fallback in Omelette to be unsatisfying and this would be worse.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

This sounds EXACTLY like one of the rounds they used to do on Brainteaser where the first player to buzz in and say a word with 3 certain letters in order took the points.

It was particularly lolsome when they cited unnecessarily long words like UNEQUIVOCAL for N V C when NOVICE would suffice.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Maybe resetting fastest conundrums now that it's harder to just guess a letter and work it out as you go.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I like to do this with car regs to pass the time when waiting for a bus - shorter words are best. :geek:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Peter Mabey wrote:
I like to do this with car regs to pass the time when waiting for a bus - shorter words are best. :geek:
This is in fact exactly how I had the idea for Omelette, minus the ordering constraint.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:
This is in fact exactly how I had the idea for Omelette, minus the ordering constraint.
It used to be a round on Catchword with Paul Coia in the late 80s too, I'm sure some of our older readers remember it.

Except thinking about that a bit more, I think you had to make the longest word from the letters in order, and by the second series everyone was going for the pneumosiliconiosises and floccinocciwhatever it is, and it got a bit daft.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

When a word has not been pencilled in and appears as a max in the others column on the game recaps make it bold.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote: I like to do this with car regs to pass the time when waiting for a bus - shorter words are best. :geek:
It used to be a round on Catchword with Paul Coia in the late 80s too, I'm sure some of our older readers remember it.

Except thinking about that a bit more, I think you had to make the longest word from the letters in order, and by the second series everyone was going for the pneumosiliconiosises and floccinocciwhatever it is, and it got a bit daft.
Pneumonoultramicrosilicovolcanoconiosis if I remember right. And of course Dichlorodiphenyltrchloroethane. They should have made them spell the words on that programme too...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Pneumonoultramicrosilicovolcanoconiosis if I remember right. And of course Dichlorodiphenyltrchloroethane. They should have made them spell the words on that programme too...
They did! That's what made it so silly.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Pneumonoultramicrosilicovolcanoconiosis if I remember right. And of course Dichlorodiphenyltrchloroethane. They should have made them spell the words on that programme too...
They did! That's what made it so silly.
Not in the speed rounds I'm sure, they'd have scored about two!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

I think it would be cool to have something on your account settings or profile say what languages you know/can play in. As it is, to find people to play in German when I feel like playing in German, I have to search through the stats/leaderboard pages for people who have played games in German, and after a while it makes me feel like some kind of creepy aptostalker. I realise that there's the "preferred dictionary" menu in the user settings already, but you can only have one of those at a time. I think it might be useful if you could click on someone and see that they'd be willing or able to play in English or German, but not, say, French.
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

Good idea, Miriam.

I think your wording is dead on: languages you can play in. Somehow it has to exclude the impression that you are willing to play in any of your nominated languages at any given moment.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'll add my voice to that request - it could be especially important if apterous grows to have lots of people playing non-English games, particularly native speakers of other languages, who might not want to play in English at all! I'd say "dictionaries"/"lexicons" rather than "languages" though, to give people the option to select either or both of ODE & CSW.

And just for the record, although I'm in the middle of a mini-break from apterous at the moment, when I'm back online, I'll be happy to be challenged in English (ODE or CSW), German, Dutch... and at a push, French. If I'm playing a bot at the time, just send me a challenge anyway.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:I don't know if this has been requested already, but is it possible to have a buzzer sound on the conundrum if the other player has buzzed in? For non touch-typists like myself it's frustrating sometimes to look up from the keyboard to find that your opponent has buzzed, mistyped and you've now hit an incorrect starting letter.
Happened yet again today. Not crucial or anything, but still frustrating.
And again. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=183002 Crucial this time.I thought I had the answer entered, looked up to find Joyce had buzzed first and mistyped, and now I've got one second to find where my answer ended then look down to find the next letter on the keyboard. No problem for touch typists, who don't need to take their eyes off the screen. but bloody frustrating for the rest of us.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Simon Le Fort wrote:Somehow it has to exclude the impression that you are willing to play in any of your nominated languages at any given moment.
Actually, I was thinking the opposite: a feature that you can change as often as you want, but at any given moment show a list of "languages such that you can feel free to challenge me to a game in that language".
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

Yes, even better like that. More pro-play.

Just to explain, every time I switch langs to comply with someone's challenge, I have an unenjoyable game and play poorly. Particularly when switching back to English, I am looking for all the wrong affixes. The BUSY button is a godsend. I am sure it's different for different people, at my age it's like that for me. So I am, for instance, giving all French a wide berth at the moment, but would perhaps play in French if I had just logged in for the first time in the day.

There are great differences between playing Apterous in the languages I play in, quite apart from the obviously different lexicons. I am sure the numbers are easier in German! All those possible Italian conundrums that flash up during every Italian game - they are mostly very very difficult to get and I cannot foresee much progress there. A point here is differing grammatical usage by northern and southern Italian speakers + a whole array of possible but hardly ever used past subjunctives, and the fact that Italian is a pro-drop language. English seems to be the language with far and away the fewest conjugations and declensions and gender options, and does not demand that affix-fixated mindset that is essential in the other languages.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:
Simon Le Fort wrote:Somehow it has to exclude the impression that you are willing to play in any of your nominated languages at any given moment.
Actually, I was thinking the opposite: a feature that you can change as often as you want, but at any given moment show a list of "languages such that you can feel free to challenge me to a game in that language".
Sounds a bit complex. Would you have a list of other things as well? E.g. will play hyper, won't play blind, will play omelette, won't play goat, will play numbers attack, won't play bullet etc.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Gavin Chipper wrote:Would you have a list of other things as well? E.g. will play hyper, won't play blind, will play omelette, won't play goat, will play numbers attack, won't play bullet etc.
I wouldn't. The way I see it, the dictionary is separate from those: I can learn how to play / get good at playing omelette if I want, but don't even bother challenging me in Dutch because it's not a language I know. The only exception to this would be CSW…I don't know what to do about that; I ignored it because I never use it. ^^;

I agree that if you went too far with this, you'd end up with a three-dimensional chart detailing which formats you play in which languages with which time limits, and that would be kind of ridiculous. But I still think a list of languages might be useful.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Statland: Easiest/hardest games?

Also for superstats someone's average letters/numbers/conundrums maxes per variant per dictionary, if this hasn't already been done.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Liam Tiernan wrote:And again. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=183002 Crucial this time.I thought I had the answer entered, looked up to find Joyce had buzzed first and mistyped, and now I've got one second to find where my answer ended then look down to find the next letter on the keyboard. No problem for touch typists, who don't need to take their eyes off the screen. but bloody frustrating for the rest of us.

Just hit the FIRST letter key only, then keep looking at the screen until you see that it's you who is the first buzzee, then type the rest of the answer. Simple really. And we have a buzzer AND bell on Countdown. The bell is for the challenger, the buzzer is for the champ. Or is it the other way round?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

One feature request i'd love to see if possible, would be to have the option of turning the chat off in Apterous. I don't like playing with a maximized game window, so it's always there. It would be great to do the teasers and missed 9's etc, without having to be distracting by the vile, racist, antagonistic tripe from one or two weird individuals who tend to log in with ridiculous names and start attention seeking. Plus, if said individuals saw that everyone turned their chat off, they'd no longer have a playground. ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

D Eadie wrote:One feature request i'd love to see if possible, would be to have the option of turning the chat off in Apterous. I don't like playing with a maximized game window, so it's always there. It would be great to do the teasers and missed 9's etc, without having to be distracting by the vile, racist, antagonistic tripe from one or two weird individuals who tend to log in with ridiculous names and start attention seeking. Plus, if said individuals saw that everyone turned their chat off, they'd no longer have a playground. ;)
... so I could only assume that something current had inspired you to post this Damian, and a quick look at the chat logs reveals no candidates other than Kieran's 'jokes'? :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

D Eadie wrote:One feature request i'd love to see if possible, would be to have the option of turning the chat off in Apterous. I don't like playing with a maximized game window, so it's always there. It would be great to do the teasers and missed 9's etc, without having to be distracting by the vile, racist, antagonistic tripe from one or two weird individuals who tend to log in with ridiculous names and start attention seeking. Plus, if said individuals saw that everyone turned their chat off, they'd no longer have a playground. ;)
Can you move the game window over it? Or minimise the window with the chat?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Can you move the game window over it? Or minimise the window with the chat?
Or ban RB?
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Or implement a "foe" feature like on the forum, I suppose.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Myers wrote:Or implement a "foe" feature like on the forum, I suppose.
Yeah I prefer this way of doing it. A simple right-click on a user's name to block all chat from them would do the trick fine. I'd also like to give mods the power to just mute someone completely.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Am I the only person who clicks on the images in the news items expecting to get a list of upsets/celebrations/whatever? (Probably.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

At this point, everybody knows what I'm waiting for!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Can we have an updated bunch of classic games please? From what I understand they're taken from recaps on the wiki, and whilst it's undoubtedly more involved than simply pressing a button and going 'insert all classic games here' it would be nice to take on a few of the greats over the last few series without actually having to, like, take them on.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

From the bugs thread:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Another thing you could presumably do if you wanted to complicate things is to have a rating that is made up using some formula from unseen separate ratings in the different disciplines (letters, numbers, conundrum). And when you play someone it changes your three ratings accordingly and then just tells you the lump sum.
This appeals to the stats geek in me, and makes me think it would be nice to have an overall rating which takes into account every variant too, and penalises based on lack of participation. Anything to encourage people to experiment outside the standard format now and again.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ian Volante wrote: Anything to encourage people to experiment outside the standard format now and again.
Why is this good? I play apterous mainly to train to go on the show. Playing omelette and hyper isn't something I'd want to be doing often, let alone participating in a Greek 9.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ian Volante wrote: Anything to encourage people to experiment outside the standard format now and again.
Why is this good? I play apterous mainly to train to go on the show.
I don't think you'll get on, mate. You've already lost to Richard Pay and I think Damian's now clamping down on second-timers. Do you mean to say that all this time spent on Apterous has been in the hope of getting a second chance? :cry:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Why is this good? I play apterous mainly to train to go on the show. Playing omelette and hyper isn't something I'd want to be doing often, let alone participating in a Greek 9.
I play for fun! I think dictionaries would be better separated for such a feature however...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ian Volante wrote: I play for fun!
I have fun too, don't get me wrong. If I thought it was boring, I wouldn't do it. I love Countdown but since you only get one shot at COC etc that is my main priority atm.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ian Volante wrote: I play for fun!
I have fun too, don't get me wrong. If I thought it was boring, I wouldn't do it. I love Countdown but since you only get one shot at COC etc that is my main priority atm.
Fairy nuff. Good to have multiple aims for development I reckon, I'd like to reach a certain standard in every variant, even if it's not that high.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I think this idea would help quite a few people to learn more words, but it might be impractical to have on the website.

The idea is to have 3 character you can put into lexplorer to represent "any letter", "any consonant" and "any vowel".
So if I wanted to learn all the nines containing AEIOU with four consonants, I could put AEIOU#### (where # represents any consonant) into lexplorer, and open up the anagram box.

I guess this is pretty similar to the "words using box", but it would be much easier to use if you know what you are doing, so if its a fairly easy thing to implement, id recommend it.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Any chance that the feature which selects Conundrums by player rating can be switched off of the foreign language variants - at least until there is a sufficiently large pool of players for everyone's ratings not to be vastly inflated?

For instance, as there are only about 5 regular players in the German language, and we all spend a lot of time hammering Prune, we all have ridiculous ratings around 2000. This means we only get to see superdifficult conundrums which are presumably the ones which the other players couldn't solve... and I've now gone from getting 1 in 2 correct to getting about 1 in 20, which is spoiling the fun somewhat (and it makes things like attempting to beat the Conundrum Attack record, practically impossible).

I assume this will affect all the other rarely-played variants where there are only a few rated players, and they mostly have ratings over 2000 because they only play Prune.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Any chance that the feature which selects Conundrums by player rating can be switched off of the foreign language variants?
It's never been switched on for non-ODE dictionaries.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Ok, fair enough Charlie, thanks for clarifying. Must admit I'm surprised... the German conundrums are much, much, harder than they used to be a while ago. I haven't had a simple conundrum in about 3 weeks!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Ok, fair enough Charlie, thanks for clarifying. Must admit I'm surprised... the German conundrums are much, much, harder than they used to be a while ago. I haven't had a simple conundrum in about 3 weeks!
The German conundrums are completelely unabridged, because obviously I don't have the knowledge to delete anything super-obscure like I did with English. If you know any fluent German speakers who fancy spending a very tedious couple dozen hours editing the list, let me know!
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

JackHurst wrote:I think this idea would help quite a few people to learn more words, but it might be impractical to have on the website.

The idea is to have 3 character you can put into lexplorer to represent "any letter", "any consonant" and "any vowel".
So if I wanted to learn all the nines containing AEIOU with four consonants, I could put AEIOU#### (where # represents any consonant) into lexplorer, and open up the anagram box.

I guess this is pretty similar to the "words using box", but it would be much easier to use if you know what you are doing, so if its a fairly easy thing to implement, id recommend it.
Quinapalus' Word Matcher http://www.quinapalus.com/matcher.html has this feature (plus lots of others for crossword setters & solvers) but doesn't use Jimdic, so you'd need to validate with lexplorer. :(
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

On the subject of foreign language variants, would it please be possible to have 2 lists of pencils earnt on the main page, one for English and one for other languages? I am interested in seeing the foreign ones, but they do tend to fill up the list, so English ones disappear very quickly.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:On the subject of foreign language variants, would it please be possible to have 2 lists of pencils earnt on the main page, one for English and one for other languages? I am interested in seeing the foreign ones, but they do tend to fill up the list, so English ones disappear very quickly.
This and various other problems will go away once I get round to implementing the say-what-languages-you-speak thing.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote:Ok, fair enough Charlie, thanks for clarifying. Must admit I'm surprised... the German conundrums are much, much, harder than they used to be a while ago. I haven't had a simple conundrum in about 3 weeks!
The German conundrums are completelely unabridged, because obviously I don't have the knowledge to delete anything super-obscure like I did with English. If you know any fluent German speakers who fancy spending a very tedious couple dozen hours editing the list, let me know!
My eldest, Alex, is fluent in German. He says he'll look at your list and sort them for relative obscurity. However, he has no interest in anagrams, so won't know if they're difficult to spot or otherwise.
He's doesn't play Countdown, and I don't speak German well enough to play that variant, so the Conundrums would be safe with us!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie Reams wrote:
That's what I figured (as it's the same in Dutch), and I don't have a problem with that - I was just confused as there definitely seemed to be a drastic increase in difficulty approximately when the umlauted conundrums came in. Presumably, prior to the umlauted conundrums coming in, you used a much smaller subset of conundrums (which mainly seemed to be well-known words)?

Anyhow, doesn't matter - it just means that if I do ever break Bob and Simon's German 15 record, they'll find it even harder to break it back!
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

'Latest Games' on the homepage, could it be done so that these can be viewed by variant, say the last 50 or so?

Pretty please. ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Would it be at all possible to expand the dictionary to a whopping (but arbitrary) list of 240,000 words, increase the number of letters to 10 and show them in lower case, get rid of numbers rounds and conundrums and change the scoring system to a 1 point per round best of five system, get rid of bots, variants, the duel, star charts, chat, statistics, lexplorer, game recaps, discussion, ratings and all that other pointless fluff? I think that would be pretty neat.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

How about a variant where you have 10 letters, and you choose your best 9.(rejecting one letter in a Goatdown stylee)
This could be adapted so you can choose the best 9 for your opponent in a handicap contest.
Which most of us might need to beat the likes of Kirk.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Would it be at all possible to expand the dictionary to a whopping (but arbitrary) list of 240,000 words, increase the number of letters to 10 and show them in lower case, get rid of numbers rounds and conundrums and change the scoring system to a 1 point per round best of five system, get rid of bots, variants, the duel, star charts, chat, statistics, lexplorer, game recaps, discussion, ratings and all that other pointless fluff? I think that would be pretty neat.
Nice idea but I'm not sure my computer is clever enough to know 240,000 words.
Marc Meakin wrote:How about a variant where you have 10 letters, and you choose your best 9.(rejecting one letter in a Goatdown stylee)
This could be adapted so you can choose the best 9 for your opponent in a handicap contest.
Which most of us might need to beat the likes of Kirk.
I'm not averse to something like this, but it needs more discussion because at the moment it just sounds like 10-letter Countdown where you can't declare a 10 even if you get one, which seems a bit pointless. Maybe start a new thread?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:'Latest Games' on the homepage, could it be done so that these can be viewed by variant, say the last 50 or so?

Pretty please. ;)
Do you mean http://apterous.org/browsegames.php or http://apterous.org/viewuser.php?user=0&section=4 ?